First time ever walking off a course...

I have to admit, that I once just walked off from a pair I got paired with. First time I ever did it, but it was a situation like this one, and after just 3 holes, I couldn't do it. I would rather had been on the course with 2 five year old's.

First time ever walking off a course...

Been there done that!

Today was a trip - we had a 3 hour pace going as a twosome with a twosome in front and a 4some in front of them. Was all good Til we got to 13 and then it screeched to a halt as we waited for the foursome to finish out their U.S. open. The twosome in front of us had asked them to play through and they told them no then proceeded to play even slower. The ranger had been all over the front 9 keeping everyone on pace as they say they guarantee a 4:15 max round. Then he was nowhere to be found on the back. We finally saw him on 18 when he says to us "how far do you hit your drive? My dad says "260 or so" to which he replies "ok your safe go ahead". Thanks we say as we turn around and see nobody on any of the 3 holes behind us. We needed you and hour or ago dude, not on the last friggin hole!

Shoulda been a 3:30 round max! Turned into 4:30. I know that's not bad but I had to laugh at the Rangers showing up and his comments on the 18th hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have moved on forward as a single at the next hole.

Its a shame you walked off, could you have talked to the starter and started over on #1?
I had this happen years ago when I was put in a group with a dad and his 2 young boys. He told the starter they were new, but could hit the ball, but after about 2 holes it was apparent to me that they knew NOTHING about the game - running all over, trampling lines on the green, whiffing numerous shots, etc... I enjoy youthful exuberance on the course, but this was way over the top, and he did nothing to dissuade or calm their behavior. I told the dad I had to leave, went to the clubhouse and explained to the starter what was going on, and he put me out again.

Its a shame you walked off, could you have talked to the starter and started over on #1?

I've been thinking about this as a lot of posters have mentioned it. I think I was so frustrated I was just mentally checked out. I was waiting 20 minutes after my drives to hit my approach shots because they were taking so long and affecting my game mentally. I'm not sure it would have been better as the course was so backed up after I walked off after the 4th hole. I didn't see the group in front of us after they left the 1st green, so I'm guessing there must have been at least 2 holes between us and that group. I guess I could have gone ahead and played alone, but I was sharing a cart with the other single and I have never walked more than 9 holes.

I should have gone back and given the pro shop or starter a heads up, and tried to at least get a 9 hole rain check. In hindsight, I regret not doing that.

Funny thing I forgot to mention in my first post.. After the group yelled as us on the 3rd hole, one of the guys said, "I guess we're supposed to be playing speed golf or something.. geesh." I almost laughed out loud.

Will, you played Shannondell, right? That place is the worst in a lot of ways, including slow play. Stay away.

Doesn't matter dude. People who play slow don't believe it's them.

I have had this conversation with probably 50 people over the years and maybe 1 or 2 took it to heart. People honestly don't think they play slow.

When I first started, I asked about etiquette. I was told, nothing else matters of you're not slow. Now i know that more matters than not being slow, but I hope I took that advice to heart.

When I first started, I asked about etiquette. I was told, nothing else matters of you're not slow. Now i know that more matters than not being slow, but I hope I took that advice to heart.

Absolutely. Im still no where near as good as some of the people I play with, but I do my best not to slow people down. There were some days where if I had a bad hole and was headed towards a high number, I would pick up out of respect for my group. I hate quitting on holes, but I feel courtesy to others is a part of golf.

We quit after 12 holes at El Dorado CC in McKinney, TX. It's been a LONG time since I've quit a round of golf; but we were behind the SLOWEST group of women that had no intention of letting us through. It was also very hot and humid. But the worst part was having to search and search for your ball in Bermuda that was 2" high.

Miss the fairway by a foot, go straight to the spot you think it is, then march back an forth until you see a glimpse of white, or you step on it... every hole :/

Yep. Thanks, I doubt I'll be going back.
I played that course many years ago when it was General Washigton. (I think that's what it was called) we only played 13 holes then and left due to slow play back then. Played it one other time after but only 9 holes.

We stay go Saturday or Sunday afternoons to Ravens claw, Bella vista, laderach, turtle creek, wyncotte , honey brook and if we feel rich we'lll go to broad run. Tuesday night we go to jeffersonville or westover.

I played that course many years ago when it was General Washigton. (I think that's what it was called) we only played 13 holes then and left due to slow play back then. Played it one other time after but only 9 holes.

We stay go Saturday or Sunday afternoons to Ravens claw, Bella vista, laderach, turtle creek, wyncotte , honey brook and if we feel rich we'lll go to broad run. Tuesday night we go to jeffersonville or westover.

I had a 5 hour+ round at Jeffersonville back at the end of April. A few people I play with occasionally all say they had the same experience. My only experience is on a weekend though, so not sure about weekdays.

I also played Westover the week before I played Jeffersonville.. didn't have the same issue, but I'm sure it gets backed up to. Do you know if they still plan on closing it after this year? Center Square is closing this year also, which sucks. Decent track, wide open, and most importantly 8 minutes from my house.

I had a 5 hour+ round at Jeffersonville back at the end of April. A few people I play with occasionally all say they had the same experience. My only experience is on a weekend though, so not sure about weekdays.

I also played Westover the week before I played Jeffersonville.. didn't have the same issue, but I'm sure it gets backed up to. Do you know if they still plan on closing it after this year? Center Square is closing this year also, which sucks. Decent track, wide open, and most importantly 8 minutes from my house.

I heard rumors about Westover becoming a huge apartment complex with some land being donated to the township but heard the residents and township blocked the idea.

Wow didn't know about Center Square closing.

Jeffersonville is one of my favorites in the area but I know it can get crowded. I've been fortunate that I haven't been there on a slow day.

But I wouldn't blame anyone walking off shannondale or westover. Those place are terribly slow and they do nothing about it.

I have done that many times, when I am making the turn at 3 hours I'm done. My local course has been great about it and even issued me a rain check for 9 holes a couple times when I talked to them about it. I play as a single a lot and have had rounds with guys that drove me nutts to the point that I kept telling one guy "while were young". Slow play just kills me, but I accept the occasional 5 hour round even 5:15 but if its getting near 3 hours per side I am done!!

I try and be straight forward in a nice way. Like guys we falling behind we need to make up some ground.

I try and be straight forward in a nice way. Like guys we falling behind we need to make up some ground.

I have said similar a number of times and whether its one of the group saying it or even a ranger here is the problem with it that I just don't understand at all.

Most often everyone will agree and even add a comment like "yea we gotta move a little" . But the strangest thing is that so many people (even after agreeing) still go about their routines in the same way as before. They change nothing at all about what they do. They don't walk any faster, they don't change any of their pre shot routines, they dont get themselves ready any faster, they don't finish up after lag putting, still mark every ball, etc etc nothing changes.

When in that situation where my group or myself need to pick things up I will do the same things I do when I am playing poorly to make sure I am not the cause for slow play. I will walk much faster, get ready faster, line up putts quicker, finish out the hole quicker, spend no time looking for a lost ball etc etc and if things are that bad I will even pick up (one can only score a max esc for hc purposes anyway). The point is that sometimes you have to "change" what you do at least till your back on pace. To be honest you should imo start doing those things as you begin t fall off and before you get off pace because once off the damage is already done. But its just that I don't know why people just don't get what it means to "pick up the pace". It means actually you then have to "pick up your pace". That means for everything you do need to be quicker but its quite mindboggling how people can say and agree that "we have to move" and yet don't do anything different at all. They do things the exact same way they were before and that is not how pace "picks up" .

I mean how in the world can someone be on a green when its agreed that - "we are a bit behind and need to pick things up a bit" and yet they still clean their ball, relook at the put again, and then pick up the ball again after the lag putt and then do it all again for the 3 footer. I mean what part of "we need to move" isn't registering.

This happened a couple years ago. I was a single and got paired with a 3some who were slow as snails on the greens. We were on hole 5 and I had said on hole 4 that we need to move. Then a ranger came by on 5 and he said "hey guys, your fallin behind, please pick the pace up"
I was glad because they needed that. Well' they all agreed and seen that we were just about a hole behind. So what do these guys do? They go ahead and do the same exact painstakingly slow greens routines as though nothing was ever said. I just don't get. Not one of them did anything at all the slightest bit different and/or with a sense of urgency. All it would have taking was a small change in their normal routine to finish hole 5 and than also play 6 with the same urgency and we would have caught up in no time and the they could have gone back to thier routines but although they all said and agreed that we needed to speed up a little they still behaved the same exact way. Nothing changed. How can anyone "pick things up a bit" if they don't change anything for a bit?? What is so hard to understand that when (during the times you need to move a little quicker) that one then actually does have to move a little quicker?? Nothing changes if you don't change. I don't get it.

Back