Anyone tried "The Single Plane Golf Swing" method?

Jim Bloodworth

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi,

I am tinkering with converting to the "The Single Plane Golf Swing" method which is an option that is all over the internet and You Tube. This was made famous by Moe Norman.

I have tried a little but it seems uncomfortable on setup. I am not sure if it is worth trying.

I am just wondering what kind of success or failures people have had with this method. Let me know what your experiences is with this method. Thanks!
Jim

I'm not sure if it is the same thing but a prior instructor was working with me to have a one plane swing. I played my best golf w/ him and that swing.

Hi,

I am tinkering with converting to the "The Single Plane Golf Swing" method which is an option that is all over the internet and You Tube. This was made famous by Moe Norman.

I have tried a little but it seems uncomfortable on setup. I am not sure if it is worth trying.

I am just wondering what kind of success or failures people have had with this method. Let me know what your experiences is with this method. Thanks!
Jim

I used the "Natural" Golf swing for years. Even went to a few of the Graves Brothers Golf schools. That swing took me from a horrible golfer down to a bogey golfer. But I had trouble advancing beyond that and so moved on a few years ago.

A very legitimate way to swing a club as evidenced by Bryson Dechambeau's recent win in the John Deere classic. I also know there are a lot of folks who had some real success with that swing. There is no reason the setup should be uncomfortable (other than its different than what your used too). My experience is that people tend to "overcook" the high hands at address.

So like with any swing method; it works for some and not for others. Their schools and instruction are excellent.

Thanks for the reply.
I hit some balls yesterday afternoon and hit them very well, so maybe this will work for me. Time will tell.

I play with and am working on a one plane swing. I would highly recommend Jim Hardy's DVDs and books.

Any swing will work that is repeatable and consistent. Look at Jim Furyk or Matt Kuchar. No teacher would teach a new golfer their swings but it works for them because they practice hard and can repeat it consistently. IMO practice is the key. A weekend golfer like me has to get out to the range and hit balls at least once a week and spend just as much or more time chipping and putting. This is the only way to get in the number of repetitions you need to build the muscle memory needed for consistency. I took up the game again recently after a long period of being casual and playing with old clubs 5 or 10 times a year. I've dropped 10 strokes from my game and it's all come at the range, building my swing piece by piece and learning new chipping techniques that I can use with some consistency.

So try the Moe Norman swing but practice it at least once a week for an entire season and see where it gets you and go from there.

Back