Putters with adjustable weights, do you ever adjust them?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
For those that have putters with adjustable weights, have you ever switched them out? Did you go lighter or heavier and why? Is that something you never touch again or is it something you might adjust based on the speed of the greens? Do you prefer a putter with adjustable weights or one without?

the only I have ever adjusted the weights on is the Cure lineup. I don't base it so much on green speed, more of a comfort level.

The putters I've owned where I cold adjust the weights, I've always switched out to heavier weights and left them there. I like a heavier putter

Have only owned one and left it be after I found the weight settings I was most comfortable with.

• Admin
The putters I've owned where I cold adjust the weights, I've always switched out to heavier weights and left them there. I like a heavier putter

the only I have ever adjusted the weights on is the Cure lineup. I don't base it so much on green speed, more of a comfort level.

Makes sense. I put the MXM 1W back in the bag last week with the heavier weights. I played 2 different courses one had slow greens, one had fast greens. One the slow course I couldn't get the ball to the hole, on the fast course I was blowing everything by it. Probably due to me just being a horrible putter but a thought popped into my head that what if I adjusted the weights on the putter to make it lighter for faster greens. Just one of those things, if its tinkerable I'm probably going to mess with it.

There are three weight sets with the Happy Putter. Preferring a heavier putter, I put the heaviest set in and have left it there. I do a majority of my playing in the early morning so have to contend with very slow greens due to a combination of dew and before they've been cut down for the day. I do carry the other sets with me when I play elsewhere, so if the greens are particularly fast I can back off a bit. Though honestly, I haven't changed them out for such conditions yet (and maybe never).

I prefer adjustable weights for the option and aesthetics. I just think it looks cool for some reason. I typically will adjust when I first get it to get the feel of the weight right and then leave it alone.

I have but the last two putters I got they came with the weight setup I like and didn't need to change

I do change the weights based on green speed, more so for green type. We have a lot of Bermuda greens here but there are a couple courses with Bent Grass, which are much faster.

Makes sense. I put the MXM 1W back in the bag last week with the heavier weights. I played 2 different courses one had slow greens, one had fast greens. One the slow course I couldn't get the ball to the hole, on the fast course I was blowing everything by it. Probably due to me just being a horrible putter but a thought popped into my head that what if I adjusted the weights on the putter to make it lighter for faster greens. Just one of those things, if its tinkerable I'm probably going to mess with it.

I think it was the JPX900 driver article that I wrote that the lure of the wrench is sometimes too much to overcome. Its so true.

I don't adjust them, but I did swap them out on my TM Spider Tour....went from 2g stocks to 16g. I may still go up to 20g weights at some point. I can't see changing them based on conditions, since to me putting is more about feel and comfort. Fast or slow greens wouldn't make me change, I would just change how "hard" I putt. I guess you could change the weights...interesting concept...

I switch out the weights in my Scotty. I have a 20g in the toe & a 15g in the heel. Prevents me from leaving the face open and missing to the right.

My two current putters both have adjustable weights. Bought my SeeMore on eBay because it came with an extra set of weights. Glad I did. My other putter is an Odyssey Works Versa 2-Ball Fang Tank Cruiser, so both the counterbalanced and head weights are adjustable. Went with the heaviest weight setup in each, the differences were very noticeable, and I've left them there.

I'm an engineer, so I love the chance to tinker.

Last edited:
I'll change them out until I find what feels right. Then I try not to mess with them anymore.

Yes I do. I've swapped out weights on my scotty quite a bit trying to find that perfect swing weight.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

same fo rme

For those that have putters with adjustable weights, have you ever switched them out? Did you go lighter or heavier and why? Is that something you never touch again or is it something you might adjust based on the speed of the greens? Do you prefer a putter with adjustable weights or one without?

I prefer a somewhat head heavy "feel" to my putters which seems to help me keep the putting stroke smooth. My putters that are adjustable, I tinker with until they feel right and I leave them alone. Adjustments for the speed of the greens are made via my stroke, not always successfully.

My z3 came with 2 sets of weights and the heavier installed. The lighter set hasn't even been out of the headcover pouch. I prefer a heavier headweight

I guess I don't really notice putter weighting. When we're talking about a couple of grams I don't really believe I would feel that difference.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I guess I don't really notice putter weighting. When we're talking about a couple of grams I don't really believe I would feel that difference.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Modern putters can change the weight dramatically. Cure offers the extreme in adjustable weights. My Rife Switchback XL gives me a lot of weight options as well.

The Switchback XL came with 2 sets of weights. The putter with no weights is 355 grams. The blue set adds 20 grams and the silver adds 60 grams making the total head weight 375g or 415g respectively. I also have a 50g counterweight in the grip, so I can go from a total of 355 grams to 465 grams in total weight.

Putters with interchangeable weighting?

Putters with interchangeable weighting?

How often do you change the weighting on your putter with interchangeable weights? Do you find one weight configuration and stick with it? Or do you change the weighting from time to time?

What conditions would make you change the weighting? Slow greens = heavier, fast greens = lighter, or vice versa?

Do you ever mix the weights? Light weight at toe, heavier weight at heel? Or some other combo.

I've always found heavier weights work best on faster greens, while lighter weight works better for slower greens. I believe it's a big reason so many pros load up their putters with lead tape on tour with the fast greens they play.

Never once I get the weight I want. Just like my adjustable driver.

When I've used adjustable weight putters this was me - my current gamer does have weights

Merged these 2 threads together

Back