Slice, Slice, Slice

kevdawg21

Reaction score
Handicap
I know it is most beneficial and actually critical for me to post a video to be able to get specific help with my swing. I am just curious if there are any good bits of info as to what can cause me to slice my driver and 3 wood so hard, but I can hit my irons fairly straight most of the time. For a driver, what is the best set-up, ball location, tee height etc. A couple weeks ago, I was striping my 3 wood very well, and I would even hit my driver fairly well at times. I have no idea what changed other than I traveled to San Antonio from Montana and golfed there a few times, but I dont think that is what did it:)...I am open to all ideas and information.

A slice will occur when the club face moves left across the ball. Typically with an open club face. The club moving left with an open face.

How you get to this motion is a whole other story. You could be leaning back, sliding out in front or lifting the lead shoulder before the club drops into the slot.

I will try to post a video sometime shortly, then possibly you will be able to break it down and let me know exactly what i'm doing, and hopefully some drills to correct. Thanks

I tee to ball pretty low, only using short tee's and use a strong grip and make sure my right foot is slightly behind my left, with the ball well forward, off the left foot. Got to give that big driver head time to get back to square or it is as Freddie says, your swing path.

Once Freddie sees a vid, he'll be able to straighten you out.

I was a big slicer and no matter what drills or tips I tried, I kept going right. 5 minutes with a pro and he told me I was setting up with my shoulders wide open. I never would have known that until someone saw my setup & swing.

I had this issue for years. Fixed it with 2 steps that I must still follow today. 1. Set my right foot back so my stance is slightly closed. 2. I Try hard to hit the ball out to the right. Worked for me. Now I hit a slight draw with the occasional hook. But it beats a weak slice any day.

Does focusing on trying to hit the ball to the right help correct your swing path so you are not swinging the club face left across the ball? Is that the logic behind focusing to try to hit it to the right?

Does focusing on trying to hit the ball to the right help correct your swing path so you are not swinging inside out? Is that the logic with that step? Seems to make sense, just checking to see if that is the idea

It's counterintuitive, but for a right-handed golfer, swinging to the right (inside-out) generally makes the ball draw. Swinging to the left (outside-in) generally makes the ball slice. Obviously how open or closed the club face is also is a factor. It often takes more than just thinking about swinging out the right. When you post a video Freddie will help you identify the setup and swing changes you need to make to help you come more from the inside.

Yes. It's not an overnight fix. It took a lot of range sessions and a lot of blocks out to the right to match tempo, face angle and swing. As stated by other replies, there could be several other factors. Just wanted to give you the swing thought that changed my game dramatically.

I really appreciate the info! I'm going to try that on the range, and whatever I end up needing to do I know its going to take alot of repetition. I just need to get started on something to improve. Hopefully I can find someone to video me soon

Back