To Iron Cover or NOT To Iron Cover???

I've tried them in the past but I always end up losing a couple.
I stopped using them a long time ago and don't see myself ever going back.

I don't have any problem with anyone using them. I haven't noticed any increased pace of play because they have to take them off and put them back on. Most seem to carry it in a pocket and put it right back on walking back to the cart.

I had some with my very first set of brand new irons (my Goldwin AVDP irons from the middle 90s). I think I used them for part of a round (maybe a couple). Then took them off and left them off as I used each iron. I didn't like them.

I used a neoprene set on some mp-53's for a season. Never had a problem with rust as I dried everything off after the round. Not sure why folks are so adiment about not using them. I've never heard anyone complain about folks removing covers on their putters, hybrids or metals. Not sure why irons are any different.

I only use iron covers when using my hardcase for travel. Although once a year I polish my irons with a polishing wheel. That helps keep them looking new.

I use always them when I travel, however, I have never played with anyone who uses them during a round.

I always use magnetic headcovers on my irons, both forged or cast. I wipe my clubs down after each shot, prior to replacing the headcovers and I have not had any issues with rust.

I use headcovers on all of my clubs for 2 reasons:
1) Protection of the irons
2) Self-preservation. My bag always looks the same regardless of what is under them. :angel:

I never use them, Forged or not, irons are my workhorses and I like the chatter that comes with that.

i will keep the covers on my driver, fairway wood and hybrid while i am playing and that is it. I do not keep my putter cover on until i am finished an d have cleaned my clubs. Tim

I like them and have always had them on my forged irons. Always use Club Glove neoprene covers. Great quality at a reasonable price.

People put too much thought into what others think. If you like to keep your irons shiny and nice use them, if you don't care don't. But don't worry about what others think about which choice you make.

Last edited:
People put too much thought into what others think. If you like to keep your irons shiny and nice use them, if you don't care don't. But don't worry about what others think about which choice you make.
Last thing on my mind. Not a fan of chatter on irons. Prefer to keep my irons looking nice and clean.

Last thing on my mind. Not a fan of chatter on irons. Prefer to keep my irons looking nice and clean.

Same reason I do!

Like others, I use them for travel and that's it.

If you're worried about bag chatter, there are some bags that are (or at least were at one time) designed to reduce or eliminate chatter. Bennington, BagBoy, Ogio Silencer, etc.

As an aside, I've found you can always tell if the TSA person is a golfer by whether or not the covers are put back on the correct club :)

I say no iron covers.

The only exception is if you have a brand new set that you are leaning towards selling soon, in that case the covers may make the difference in sale.

I don't use them. I use irons to hit a really hard object off of the ground, so I'm not super worried about them tapping each other. But if you use them and enjoy them keep on using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am have used them and will be using them again soon, too big of an investment to let them get beat all to crap for no reason while in the truck.

On the Course I have a Bagboy revolver bag that has the locking slots for the cubs and it has worked very well with the forged clubs I have now.

They're tools meant to be used and abused. I would never cover them even though they're my most prized possessions.

I say if you wanna use em, use em. I personally don't use them because I think they look ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding the comments on slowing the pace of play, I just can't imagine being in that big of a hurry on the golf course. Lot's of times you're waiting on the group in front of you or for one of your playing partners to hit. If waiting bothered me that much it would effect my game and not for the better.

I use iron covers and I always take them off/put them on when I'm walking between my bag and the ball - 95% of the time I'm walking. Keeps them looking good and does not slow me down. Fairway woods and drivers take a little longer, but still do not affect PoP in my case.

I say no iron covers.

The only exception is if you have a brand new set that you are leaning towards selling soon, in that case the covers may make the difference in sale.

Yes, and you can always throw down a portable mat and place your ball on it so your soles are virgins.

(sarcasm - the old owner of BSG used to put a towel down on the grass so as not to dirty the soles so he could sell them as brand new)

I never use them. My clubs get so beat up from playing golf that it doesn't matter to me. Between the dings from heaven knows what on the sole to the loft/lie bender marks on the hosel, the last of my concerns is the clubs banging against each other. My irons look new once and that's when I take them out of the box and put them into the bag.

I don't care about my clubs enough for that, they are tools meant to be beat up.

The more I read the more that the "pace of play" issue is a non issue. Used an old set of covers last night on my round and there wasn't one second wasted because Joe was putting his iron covers on and off. As a longer hitter I'm usually last or 2nd last to hit, by the time I get to my ball I have tons of time to remove the cover and wait.

I think it all comes down to looks. I get that some people just don't like the looks of head covers on irons/wedges. They see dings and club chatter as character and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Myself, I invested a good chunk of change into these irons and would like to keep them looking new. I don't want "character" on them lol. I also really like the look of the head covers I have coming in.

It's also very reassuring to see people who use them not running into issues with rust with the simple solution of drying them after a shot (or at least the round) which is something I do anyways after every shot.

I'll be sure to post some pics once my wedges and covers come in!

Again, thank you all for the continued feedback and thoughts.

Yes, and you can always throw down a portable mat and place your ball on it so your soles are virgins.

(sarcasm - the old owner of BSG used to put a towel down on the grass so as not to dirty the soles so he could sell them as brand new)
What did he do about the faces?haha

Back