To Iron Cover or NOT To Iron Cover???

This thread again??? No, irons are tools not jewels. Protect your putter face and your graphite shafts.

That's me, I don't care others use it as long as they don't take forever and "loses" a head over and has to go back for scavenger hunts

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What makes an iron a tool and a putter a jewel?

I have a custom scotty cameron and I take the head cover off at the beginning of the round and put in on at the end. My reason is because the way it sits on my clic gear bag it doesn't even get close to touching another club. My irons and wedges are a different story. I still wipe my putter down after every hole and it's in phenomenal shape.

'Don't have time to put them back in' - just curios as to why ? It takes me oh around 10 seconds max between wiping off an iron then take the headcover from my pocket, put them in and return the club back to the bag.

some of the replies bemoaning them are hysterically funny. I see bags all the time on pretty much every course where dude has thrown his clubs in willy-nilly, they are dull and chipped and a complete mess. Goes to find his 9i has to sift through the clubs to find the right one, has to look at it for 30 seconds to figure out if it is a 6 or a 9, hauls it out, bangs his shot and throws it back in some random spot in the bag to repeat the process on his next club selection, no order to the bags whatsoever...

but it is the iron covers that are ugly? really? the guys I know who use them, we are pretty meticulous about organizing our bag, keeping it clean and decluttered and pretty pristine.

As for the don't have time to put them back...the other day I had a 5i cover and a 50 degree cover back on and the club in the bag before the shot landed so...uh, no, time is not even remotely a factor.

Nothing wrong with respecting your equipment!

They're not for me; I don't have the patience to deal with them and I don't buy my clubs thinking about the resale value. I cover my putter, 3 wood and hybrid because of where I keep them in my bag I don't want them hitting my driver shaft, but I don't re-cover my driver after each hole.

I don't necessarily think they slow down play much, but I do think it's something slower players tend to use. People that are more meticulous about the condition of their clubs are usually the same people that take a longer time on each shot from my experience.

Not for me personally. Playing partner I typically play with does have them on his irons, to each their own. I take care of my irons after each shot cleaning them quickly and cleaning them after a round, no thanks on the headcovers.

As much as I want to not use them and let the clubs shine I just keep going back to them. I spent a lot of money on them and want to keep them in as good a condition as I can. I fully understand they'll get worn through playing and I'm fine with that. Just don't want the unnecessary dings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some of the replies bemoaning them are hysterically funny. I see bags all the time on pretty much every course where dude has thrown his clubs in willy-nilly, they are dull and chipped and a complete mess. Goes to find his 9i has to sift through the clubs to find the right one, has to look at it for 30 seconds to figure out if it is a 6 or a 9, hauls it out, bangs his shot and throws it back in some random spot in the bag to repeat the process on his next club selection, no order to the bags whatsoever...

but it is the iron covers that are ugly? really? the guys I know who use them, we are pretty meticulous about organizing our bag, keeping it clean and decluttered and pretty pristine.

As for the don't have time to put them back...the other day I had a 5i cover and a 50 degree cover back on and the club in the bag before the shot landed so...uh, no, time is not even remotely a factor.

I find them to be some of the most grotesque, utterly cringeworthy blasphemies ever created to bilk golfers out of more of their cash. They're an impiety that I find to be the biggest turn off my eyes can see on a golf course.

With due respect, I do not know what golf course you're golfing at, but I grew up in the inner city here on a public muni and these cluttered rubbish bags you're referring to are an exception, not a rule, not even here in the inner city muni.

My clubs stay perfectly kept, "iron covers" be damned.

post-133711-0-52104400-1483233815.jpg

post-133711-0-73585800-1465784387.jpg........

You worry too much about what other people are doing, play your own game.

So I just picked up my DREAM set of irons. Naturally I'd like to keep them in the pristine condition I bought them in. I ordered a set of Miura magnetic covers off eBay, but the moisture issue is going to make me lose sleep.

To anyone out there who uses iron covers, have you experienced issues with rust? I wipe my club down with a towel after every shot to dry them after removing whatever dirt/grass I picked up.

I play with a few elder gentlemen and they have Mizunos in covers that they've had for years and they look brand spanking new. Not sure if they use any WD40 to help? That's my goal, lol!

Should I be worried? Would love to keep them on the entire round as it doesn't bother me removing and putting them back on after every shot. I just don't want to get any club chatter on these. I know it builds character, but I'd like to keep them looking new as long as possible and protect my investment... Any feedback or advise is great appreciated in advance. Cheers!

I've never had the problem with rust, but I stopped using the covers after about 6 weeks. Don't notice the difference now. Prolly won't be using them anymore.

Played 3 rounds with the covers this weekend, only on 4-Pw as my wedges have yet to come in. Worked beautifully, the magnetic covers are second to none. Slips on and off easily without being able to fall off on their own.

I use these https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Go...59&sr=8-3&keywords=craftsman+golf+iron+covers best covers Ive ever had and ive had many. Fit really well. Quick on and off. Just give a pinch around the shaft and inner Velcro tabs grab each other. Bright colorful numbers to see. Just the right thickness. They aren't the cheapest covers but they are by far the best Ive had and im not losing them..lol I would imagine the Velcro tabs will probably eventually no longer work but they go over the iron head (GI irons) very well and down the shaft long enough to stay put anyway.

I find them to be some of the most grotesque, utterly cringeworthy blasphemies ever created to bilk golfers out of more of their cash. They're an impiety that I find to be the biggest turn off my eyes can see on a golf course.

With due respect, I do not know what golf course you're golfing at, but I grew up in the inner city here on a public muni and these cluttered rubbish bags you're referring to are an exception, not a rule, not even here in the inner city muni.

My clubs stay perfectly kept, "iron covers" be damned]

they were organized, but that was certainly not the picture I would have chosen to claim a better looking bag than an iron head covered one with each in their individual slot, nor the next picture you posted with the rusted wedges but to each their own.

as for what course I see the jumbled bags on...have seen them everywhere from the retirement course to resort courses in phoenix, they are not overly rare in Oregon, Washington, California, Arizona or Nevada. I will take my color matched, iron head covered bag over either of those 100% of the time from an aesthetic standpoint.

how resistant to bag chatter are cast clubs, i have apex irons which are forged and i kept them covered as they got marked easily. I hate using them though, anyway i just picked up a set of epic pro irons for a good price which are not forged and i don`t want to cover them if i can help it. However it don`t want them to get dings on the back of the clubs due to clatter.

Back