To Iron Cover or NOT To Iron Cover???

JOEE

Reaction score
Handicap
GCHF 7.9
So I just picked up my DREAM set of irons. Naturally I'd like to keep them in the pristine condition I bought them in. I ordered a set of Miura magnetic covers off eBay, but the moisture issue is going to make me lose sleep.

To anyone out there who uses iron covers, have you experienced issues with rust? I wipe my club down with a towel after every shot to dry them after removing whatever dirt/grass I picked up.

I play with a few elder gentlemen and they have Mizunos in covers that they've had for years and they look brand spanking new. Not sure if they use any WD40 to help? That's my goal, lol!

Should I be worried? Would love to keep them on the entire round as it doesn't bother me removing and putting them back on after every shot. I just don't want to get any club chatter on these. I know it builds character, but I'd like to keep them looking new as long as possible and protect my investment... Any feedback or advise is great appreciated in advance. Cheers!

Not unless you're traveling. I don't like anything that slows down the pace of golf. 10 seconds to remove and replace an iron head cover multiplied by 30 shots (excluding non-iron shots) = 300 seconds or 5 minutes per round

So I just picked up my DREAM set of irons. Naturally I'd like to keep them in the pristine condition I bought them in. I ordered a set of Miura magnetic covers off eBay, but the moisture issue is going to make me lose sleep.

To anyone out there who uses iron covers, have you experienced issues with rust? I wipe my club down with a towel after every shot to dry them after removing whatever dirt/grass I picked up.

I play with a few elder gentlemen and they have Mizunos in covers that they've had for years and they look brand spanking new. Not sure if they use any WD40 to help? That's my goal, lol!

Should I be worried? Would love to keep them on the entire round as it doesn't bother me removing and putting them back on after every shot. I just don't want to get any club chatter on these. I know it builds character, but I'd like to keep them looking new as long as possible and protect my investment... Any feedback or advise is great appreciated in advance. Cheers!

I did see some rusting on my Apex CF 16's when I used iron covers. Since I sold them and moved to a non-forged set (Cobra F7 One Length) I have removed all the irons covers and have been pretty happy..

This is a matter of preference I'd say. A buddy of mine just got clubs for his wife, who is learning to play, and they came with iron covers. My initial reaction was, "Well...first of all, let's get rid of all this BS" :)

I think if you're wiping them down and caring for them as usual, you're fine. But that's just my preference...I suppose if I ever invest in an expensive set... I could potentially sing a different tune. Seems like I'd just get annoyed removing the covers, replacing the cover, and so on. I don't even like messing with the cover on my driver, though. I'm lazy, I guess.

I have used them several times, first time with no ties I kept loosing one or two.
Then I found GolfLabels.com and I labelled them all and fortunately honest people did hand them in.
Next time around I put laces through them all that was not too good so I then threaded them in two sets of four, and that worked better.
It is a bit of a PIA but worth it if you have the patience to live with it.

Not.....

Cheap neoprene covers. Never had issues with moisture (raw irons and wedges are a different story), and my irons always look pristine. One second to pop off and put in my pocket, another second to pop back on after I hit the shot.

My brother had magnetic Epon covers to put on his Epons. Those things were looked bulky and cumbersome. I will say, with how much he paid for them, he would still use them.

Here's what I use...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-10PCS-Bl...349210&hash=item3ce98d0d94:g:zmsAAOxyDlNTlWmk

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/MIURA-GOLF-...564191?hash=item4b0745d4df:g:6jQAAOSwvg9Xc0tc

These are the ones I purchased above!

I figured with magnetic it would be harder to lose them.

As far as timing goes, I usually play with a 4some so there's always time in-between waiting for the next person to shoot so I don't think it will be slowing my rounds down any.

Any thoughts on these? A bit pricey, paying for the name... But it's a one time investment.

Your choice.

I use them when traveling.

Protection - covers can cause rust if grooves not clean and you cover them or moisture exists. Just dry off before you put on the cover.

For security, I use a towel to cover them up when sitting the bag down or when I move away from them at the range. I don't like to tempt people so I keep the heads covered and use generic covers. No one likes to have their clubs taken.

The rusting issue comes into play if you put them up after a round and the irons are still wet. Just make sure to dry them well after playing and cleaning. Leave the covers off for several hours after you have dried them and you should be good to go. I have used iron covers for years and never had an issue with rusting.

Your choice.

I use them when traveling.

Protection - covers can cause rust if grooves not clean and you cover them or moisture exists. Just dry off before you put on the cover.

For security, I use a towel to cover them up when sitting the bag down or when I move away from them at the range. I don't like to tempt people so I keep the heads covered and use generic covers. No one likes to have their clubs taken.

I never leave my clubs out of sight, but very useful tip. I guess buying Miura covers aren't the safest thing in the world in that sense...

I have used iron covers for years & had no problems with rusting. For me, since I buy my own irons I want to keep them in excellent condition in case I need/want to sell them. Also, I don't like to hear my irons clanking together when I am riding in my cart.

As for added time, I take my iron covers off well before I am getting ready to swing so I don't think it adds much time to a round.

No irons covers, unless you're traveling.

i started using them on my irons a couple months back and have no regrets. slowing down the pace of play...not really. my clubs are always in my truck so i like as much protection as possible from "truck chatter". also, buy yourself a can of fluid film or corrosion x and treat your clubs to a wash and wipe down with this stuff like every dozen rounds or so. are either of these treatments needed, no, but i like the results of the covers and spray protection.

I never leave my clubs out of sight, but very useful tip. I guess buying Miura covers aren't the safest thing in the world in that sense...

Just use your towel to cover up, and believe me, hardly anyone knows Miura. I've played them for 20 yrs and most people have no idea.

Just make sure your driver, fairway, and hybrid covers are generic - that way, the iron covers don't attract attention. I also use a Sun Mountain bag - pretty generic and doesn't scream steal me Callaway, TM, Titleist, Ping, etc.

bought some when I bought a brand new set of irons. Lasted 3-4 rounds before I decided it was ridiculous to use these unless for long travel needs. Takes up way to much time, and I am slow enough as is.

I've used neoprene iron covers for about 4 or 5 years. Really keeps your irons looking great, pace of play is not affected at all, and I haven't had any fall off/lost. The grooves on my irons that are several years old will rust a bit if my clubs are wet and I don't use a towel to dry. The rust rubbed right off when I cleaned them. Yes I have been made fun of for having iron head covers, no I do not care and my clubs will look great when I pass them on to my kid/friend.

I got a cheap neoprene set from amazon (~$8) to keep my z965's looking fresh. This is the first time I've used covers and it's definitely mildly annoying. I also kind of miss the clack-clack-clacking of my clubs since I walk and carry my bag most rounds.

That said, these clubs looks so sparkling fresh I'm going to be keeping them on for the time being at least.

Do whatever makes you happy.

No No No

Seriously though if you like them and enjoy taking them on and off every shot, then do what makes you happy

I use neoprene ones on my apex pro irons, never had any issue with rust. So easy to slip on and off while others are having there shot.

I use covers and no rust issues. I can play a lone round in 2.5 hours, so obviously head covers don't impact the pace of play.

Ive used iron covers for over 10 years. Never have had any issues with anything. Only clubs without covers are my wedges. The sound of irons clanking together make me not want to play golf. Iron covers do the trick and also keep my clubs tighty and clean.

I use them for mine for the simple reason I don't want the clubs clattering they have a zip to stop falling off but it can be annoying putting them on and off, none of the guys I round with use them
5325c8349538da99fe8f9734064fb2c3.jpg
4122f7e2327f4b8d521331a6df72423b.jpg

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

wow the anti-iron covers, in addition to being wrong, are exceptionally aggressive.

Use them relentlessly, never had issue with rust, chipping, or THAT OBNOXIOUS clank clank clank clank.

Get good ones, use them, enjoy.

In the past when I rocked forged Mizuno's I did, just for the simple reason of re-sale value. Yea it's a PITA, but at least they don't look like the surface of the moon after a few rounds.

Back