Is Jordan Spieth having a "Tiger Effect" on the game?

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
Listening to sports talk today, and one of the producers was stating that Jordan is becoming what Tiger was.
Is Jordan Spieth bringing people to the game? Is he must see TV? Is he the Dominate player that Woods was in his prime?

Personally I say no on all accounts.
No denying Spieth is incredibly talented, but I think saying he is having a "Tiger Effect" is pushing it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No chance.

Only in Texas. Lol.

I don't think so. Tiger seemed to have a fire and an aura about him. He would beat you mentally even before you teed off. No doubt he is a talented and dominate player but not a " Tiger effect".

I don't think he has the appeal to the non golfer crowd that Tiger had/has. Part of that is just the name (Tiger Woods sounds like a star in an action movie) as well as the persona that Tiger had and another part of it is their games. In their primes both were amazingly clutch with great short games and timely putting but Tiger was so much more explosive than his competition.

I love watching Jordan play I think he plots his way around a course as well or better than any player we have seen in a long time but also has the ability to improvise when something goes off the rails (#13 on Sunday as an example). But to the casual fan I don't think he will ever have the appeal Tiger had.

No, not even close.

While Jordan is very talented he is not Tiger. He has missed 3 cuts this year. Tiger went 7 years without missing a cut. And he was beyond dominating on Sundays. If he was Tiger like he wouldn't have put himself In the hole he did on the first 5 holes.

Ha ha, no one is having a Tiger Effect on the game, nor I doubt, will they for many years to come.

My non-golfing friends were not even aware that the 146th Open Championship was being played. I doubt they could pick Jordan Spieth out of a line up.

Definitely not. I love the fact that when you play an aggressive line on a course it's referred to as a 'Tiger Line'.

Maybe we can refer to a 80 yard right slice as a 'Jordan Line', but that's about it....

Not close in my books, Tiger was captivating to watch.

No not even close. Let's not forget he is not even #1 in the world right now.
If him and DJ are both going head to head and both have their A games I am taking DJ 9 out of 10 times

Maybe bringing people to the game. He is good with fans and especially young kids.

I think he is one of several that are must watch.

No he isn't the dominating player tiger was. The first two may not be at the level of Tiger was but if Steph Curry playing in a web.com event is good for the getting eyes on the game then Spieths accomplishments and attitude are getting eyes on the game

No. I don't see his overall impact on the game ever getting to the TW level but I can see it expanding with more winning.

Maybe bringing people to the game. He is good with fans and especially young kids.

I think he is one of several that are must watch.

No he isn't the dominating player tiger was. The first two may not be at the level of Tiger was but if Steph Curry playing in a web.com event is good for the getting eyes on the game then Spieths accomplishments and attitude are getting eyes on the game

Not even in the same league as Tiger.

Spieth can't carry Tiger jock at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Definitely not. I love the fact that when you play an aggressive line on a course it's referred to as a 'Tiger Line'.

Maybe we can refer to a 80 yard right slice as a 'Jordan Line', but that's about it....

Tiger already had that shot covered, I was standing next to the 18th tee box at Valhalla in August of 2000 when he flared his drive so far right it had to be OB just someone threw it or deflected it back in.

Nope, I don't think so

No and it's not close. Tiger brought an attitude to golf. He was confrontational and fiery. His dominance was much greater than Spieth too. I don't think anyone on tour "fears" Jordan like they did Tiger. So many tournaments Tiger won, he had a mental advantage before the tournament even began. Players were scared of him

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Why can't Jordan just be Jordan?

Why can't Jordan just be Jordan?

Golf is in a period of transition. There are a ton of great young players and people want one of them to have a tiger like impact. I think it is just people's minds searching for the next great.

That said it does get a bit old that Everytime a younger guy wins a big tournament we hear that he is the next tiger. All these young stars have the potential to be great but let them make their own career and be what the want. I think forcing labels on them (the media doing so) ultimately makes things tougher for them to live up to the hype.

No....and I'm going to stay away from the reasons why.

He is having an impact but only at a very small fraction of the tiger effect

Last edited:
TW set the standard for someone moving the needle like that and JS is a still a long way away from there. I do, however, believe he could eventually get there.

Look, I like JS and there is no way in hell he is having a TW like effect on the game. He said himself there may never be another TW like era. TW set a standard that is almost impossible to follow. JS does have something special but I'm not sure that it is quite TW special. All just my opinion!

Tiger was a generational player and in golf they seem to only come around every 20-30 years. Spieth is not generational..... no current player is, not DJ, Not Rory, not Day, not Rahm....none of them are Tiger. I wish the media would stop looking for that type of player in todays current crop, they seem to have this fascination that they need another Tiger.

With that said there is this awesome level of parity in the top 10 currently and any given Month one guy can pull himself apart from the others. Then there is the 10-25 crop of guys that can easily win any week. I was a huge Tiger fan, but there is something really really exciting about Golf currently in that you just never know who will win come Thursday Morning, but come Sunday afternoon, there is always a new an interesting story to be told. There was not the same intrigue during the Tiger era.

Jordan is by far my favorite golfer currently and I give him the benefit of the doubt on most things but he's not even close to the "Tiger Effect".

Back