The Classroom: How To Reshaft Golf Clubs

I'm curious as to why anyone would use 24hr epoxy, when a faster setting epoxy was readily available.

On another note, Danny makes this look really easy, but I still feel like I would screw it up. Would also love to see a video where he removes the old tip off of a graphite shaft. Another thing I'm scared to do for fear of destroying a perfectly good shaft.

It really is as easy as Danny makes it look but I understand the apprehension people have the first time they attempt a re-shaft. Nobody wants to screw up their high $$ driver head and custom shaft obviously.
I need to get my hands on one of those epoxy guns because every time I have to fight with the stupid syringe type it's so maddening lol.

I'm curious as to why anyone would use 24hr epoxy, when a faster setting epoxy was readily available.

On another note, Danny makes this look really easy, but I still feel like I would screw it up. Would also love to see a video where he removes the old tip off of a graphite shaft. Another thing I'm scared to do for fear of destroying a perfectly good shaft.

I think I read somewhere that quick set is more prone to bubbles, where a slower set epoxy is not.
I think that some twisting of the epoxy to the bonding material would negate most of this.

I could be off on that reasoning though.

I think I read somewhere that quick set is more prone to bubbles, where a slower set epoxy is not.
I think that some twisting of the epoxy to the bonding material would negate most of this.

I could be off on that reasoning though.

That would make some sense, but if the Tour guys trust it, I certainly would.

That looked way easier than I thought it would be. I actually feel pretty comfortable attempting myself should the need arise. Good video right there and glad it was shared to the masses.

That looked way easier than I thought it would be. I actually feel pretty comfortable attempting myself should the need arise. Good video right there and glad it was shared to the masses.

It's really not difficult, you can do it no problem.

Pro tip: do all the tip prep work before trying to put on any ferrules on graphite shafts. I didn't on a couple of mine and it made it difficult on them haha

It's really not difficult, you can do it no problem.

Pro tip: do all the tip prep work before trying to put on any ferrules on graphite shafts. I didn't on a couple of mine and it made it difficult on them haha

What was your main issue you saw?

What was your main issue you saw?

The graphite was almost the exact same diameter of the ferrules/hosel. So it made it very difficult to fit them down onto the shaft without any prep (Rookie mistake for sure). Once they are all prepped though, it's literally like building lego's. Just with epoxy haha. Put some epoxy on and snap together. I was doing what Danny walked through but thought for some reason I could tap the ferrules down and then do the tip prep. You might be able to with proper tools, but I don't have those either haha

He talks about that in the video from the first Shaft Up I believe. Has something to do with more time to work with it, especially when building a full set or multiple sets. I think it might set up stronger as well.

Danny does a good job explaining how to do a reshaft in the video. This is really the simplest method for it. There are definitely some other tips and tricks that can be used in shafting a club, but this is a sound method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny that it has never occurred to me to put an adapter on with it screwed into the driver like Danny did. Is there a benefit to doing it that way as opposed to putting it on without it being attached to the head?

This looks very easy but I have to imagine it would be far too easy to mess up if you aren't paying attention. I think I could certainly swing this type of assembly - doesn't appear too bad.

Danny makes the process look so effortless. It was fun to watch him build the irons in shaft up #1 and this video is no different.

Almost makes me feel like I could attempt it myself. I'll probably still end up taking the new shaft to the shop and let them handle it though, based on my handyman track record

He makes it look so easy haha. I have a feeling I would get epoxy everywhere or not align it properly. I'll leave it up to the pros for now, but I'll never forget the few tips he gave for if that day ever comes that I do decide to give it a whirl. Thanks.

Funny that it has never occurred to me to put an adapter on with it screwed into the driver like Danny did. Is there a benefit to doing it that way as opposed to putting it on without it being attached to the head?

I imagine if you want the graphics of the shaft in a proper way, having the head on might make it easier to align that way? I've always done it with just the adapter though.

The little tidbit I found interesting is putting some epoxy on the shaft and then sliding the ferrule on. I've always added the ferrule first (when I remember). It's a good little hack, and I'll be doing that from here on out.

Good video. As others have said, he makes it look so simple but it's definitely not something I would attempt myself - I make hard work of re-gripping let alone doing this.

Really liked Danny's video on re-shaft in the driver, It was pretty simplified always thought in my head that it was a lot more to it than what it is, having to have certain tools and everything. I have had a lot of people asked me if I do this, I just basically tinker around with tape and grip size and back weighting and that's about it, But I really enjoy doing it. But now I'm looking forward to trying to do some shaft installs and get the proper epoxy and just giving it a whirl I love to tinker I work with my hands all day long so this is right up my alley. Thanks THP and Danny @ UST for the simplified info.

This HOW TO came at the perfect time, about to remove and re-install a shaft in a vintage Scotty that I have acquired.
Danny has given me a lot of confidence and made it look rather easy.

Thanks THP!

For the most part, seems relatively simple enough for anyone to do. But that swing weight is what gets me. It’s the only thing that’s stopping me from reshafting some TMs with Recoil shafts. Never understood why the logo is facing towards the bottom. Is it just a visual thing or is there something else to it?

Another thing I noticed is how Danny taps the butt end of the shaft on the floor to set the adapter. I would have thought the end of the shaft would be too brittle to do that, but apparently it is just fine.

I've rebuilt engines and I always do my own sprinkler work so fitting and using epoxy are no big deal. The re-shafting process is pretty straight forward and Danny makes it look so easy. However, I know I would mess it up somehow. Besides, I'm doing my part helping keep the guy at pro shop busy. :D

Another thing I noticed is how Danny taps the butt end of the shaft on the floor to set the adapter. I would have thought the end of the shaft would be too brittle to do that, but apparently it is just fine.

I do this as well. First time I was a little hesitant, but it helps to make sure that you've got it on all the way. I also do this to set ferrules on irons if they're particularly challenging.

EDIT: should note that I do this on a carpet mat by my workbench. Don't know how aggressive I'd be with this on straight concrete.

Thanks again for this video JB and Danny!

After watching it a handful of times I just assembled my first adapter + shaft.

It wasn't nearly as hard and messy as I was expecting.

For the most part, seems relatively simple enough for anyone to do. But that swing weight is what gets me. It’s the only thing that’s stopping me from reshafting some TMs with Recoil shafts. Never understood why the logo is facing towards the bottom. Is it just a visual thing or is there something else to it?

Most golfers prefer logo down from our experiences with most shafts. With that said, you can install in any orientation you feel comfortable with.

Danny

Back