Robert Allenby's Caddie walks off Mid Round

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Forgive me if this was already posted, I searched but didn't see it.

Looks like Allenby has made the news again:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/allenbys-caddie-walks-off-mid-round-canadian-open-032037782--golf.html

OAKVILLE, Ontario (Reuters) - Robert Allenby’s bizarre season took another strange turn when his caddie walked off the course midway through the first round of the RBC Canadian Open on Thursday.

It is second time in eight years that Allenby's caddie has quit during the round, leaving the player to find a spectator to carry his bag for the remaining holes.
The trouble started at Allenby's fourth hole, the par-five 13th at Glen Abbey, when the 44-year-old Australian and bagman Mick Middlemo disagreed over club selection for the approach shot.

His subsequent shot found the creek in front of the green, which led to a heated confrontation and a triple bogey.
"My nerves have been rattled. I’m in shock,” Allenby told SCOREGolf after shooting 81 and withdrawing from the tournament. “This is the worst incident I’ve ever witnessed as a player.

“I said to him (Middlemo), ‘You know this happens every week. We keep making bad mistakes and you’re not helping me in these circumstances’.
“He just lost the plot at me. He got right in my face as if he wanted to just beat me up. I said, ‘Stop being a such-and-such and calm down and get back into the game’. And he just got even closer and closer and I just said, ‘That’s it, you’re sacked'."

Middlemo's offered a different version of events, and a well placed source tells Reuters the final straw came when Allenby swore at the caddie. “Robert’s a pretty highly strung individual and he hasn’t been playing great of late,” Middlemo told Australian radio station SEN.

“We had a discussion about a club, then of course I copped the wrath of that. “Then unfortunately the personal insults started. I’ve been called a bad caddie ... but when the personal insults come in and you’re being called a fat so-and-so ... I got a little bit peeved by it and then the third time he said it I walked up to him and basically said ‘I dare you to say that to me again’. “He didn’t say it again. There was never going to be any violence ... I was just going to put the bag down, get my gear and leave."
Allenby is no stranger to such situations. At the 2007 BMW Open near Chicago, then-caddie Matthew "Bussy" Tritton dumped the bag near the seventh tee, removed his bib and walked off.

"It's not the first time and it won't be the last time," quipped Allenby at the time.

Two decades ago, another caddie quit on Allenby in the middle of the 1995 British Open at St Andrews.

Allenby made headlines in January when he claimed he was mugged and robbed after he missed the cut at the Sony Open in Hawaii.

Police later arrested a man who plead guilty to using the golfer's credit card.

He's just becoming such an unlikeable person.

I read that this morning. The thing that really got me was when it said that this was the 4th incident when a caddy has walked off mid-round on Allenby. That in itself tells me a lot more about Allenby than his caddies.

Both sides of the story make Allenby look like a douche.

Is there a rule that a tour player has to have a caddy? Maybe it's time he just pay a local person each week to carry his bag and make the on-course decisions himself. Unless he always needs a scapegoat of course.

I saw this earlier on sportscenter. I think the common theme is Allenby and he has issues.

After what happened or didn't happen in Hawaii, I tend to side with the caddy's version of the story. Either way doesn't good for Allenby.

There is nothing irrational about disliking this guy.

common denominator in the problems with allenby and his caddies is Allenby. spectator might be the only ones he can find to caddie for him at this point

I love how he kept calling his caddie the c word and the dude finally had enough.

What a scrub .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After that whole incident in Hawaii and this I think Mr. Allenby needs a head doctor and a swing doctor. Maybe a 12 step program too.

Ah yes. more entertainment in the world of allenby.

Are we sure he didn't just get kidnapped?

"5 iron huh? Well, you're fired" in all seriousness Allenby seems to be at fault even from boy sides of the story.

would you guys have offered to carry the bag for him for the last 9 holes? I wouldn't, just cause it was Allenby.

Imagine if Robert Allenby was relevant. This would be so much more of a story.

As a caddy you need to realize this is a demanding job. I'm sure it was just a communication issue that wasn't handled properly. Should never walk off of a job or task, best to sit down and resolve it in a professional manner

All I can think of is Don Johnson in Tin Cup.

As a caddy you need to realize this is a demanding job. I'm sure it was just a communication issue that wasn't handled properly. Should never walk off of a job or task, best to sit down and resolve it in a professional manner

If I'm a caddie and the player I'm caddying for is calling me a "c-word" there is no way I'm going to sit there and just take it from him. Just as if my current boss was constantly calling me names, I would quit my job right there on the spot. There are other jobs out there for people who treat you with respect. I'm sure the caddie will find another player to caddie for in no time.

That is a good point mulligan. But we have this all the time where I work. I don't agree with it at all, but we have a through investigation and a sit down. I've been swung at and pushed as a mill foreman, isnt pretty at all. Hate to hear about people walking off the job though , everything can be worked out

That is a good point mulligan. But we have this all the time where I work. I don't agree with it at all, but we have a through investigation and a sit down. I've been swung at and pushed as a mill foreman, isnt pretty at all. Hate to hear about people walking off the job though , everything can be worked out

I am not sure it could have been worked out. This isn't the first time.. The common denominator is Allenby. I don't disagree with what the Caddie did and I probably would have done the same. Robert is an idiot

Might warrant an episode of Tough Jobs one day.

Lol, I would have offered to carry his bag, then proceeded to question every single club choice he made. "An eight iron huh? You think that's the right choice here Robert?"

I'm sure his sponsers love to see this.

If it comes to the point where personal insults are constantly being thrown your way, by your boss, then it's time to move on. It's one thing to have co-workers bickering between each other, it's a completely different situation to have the person who signs your check (or decides whether you still have a job) constantly berating you.

Back