How do you grip your putter?

I have typically gripped the putter the standard way, but I've been doing some experimenting with the left hand low.

I've tried a lot of grips but a simple interlock is the most comfortable and natural so I stick with that.

Standard grip with right index finger pointing down

Regular grip, index finger straight down the grip.

I use the same interlocking grip I use on all shots, with the only difference being pointing the index finger down. But it also depends on which putter/grip I'm using. I have a standard grip putter where I will point the finger down, but I also have a putter with a wider SuperStroke grip that I don't point the index finger down.

I recently switched to my own form of the claw. Only way that has worked for me to keep my putts on line. It's worked extremely well so far for me so...

Last edited:
Standard interlock grip that I use on every other club. Only difference is my right index finger is in more like a 'trigger' position, as opposed to tucked next to my other fingers like it is on the other clubs.

Standard grip. I've tried the claw grip a few times on the practice green but never had the guts to try on the course. My putting has always been the best part of my game so I probably won't change the grip.

Standard grip with right index finger down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left hand low interlock. Except I interlock my right index finger between my left middle and ring finger instead of ring and pinky. It's gets my hands closer together and I rest my thumbs straight down the grip parallel to each other.

This grip works best for me on a flat front putter grip to have room for my thumbs. I play a flatso 1.0 or a tour snsr 140 straight. This grip with a smaller or round grip just doesn't feel as secure or consistent.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Claw, used it for the past few years now.

Sort of a modified, loosely interlocked grip.... I'm a righty... my right pinky sort of overlaps my left index finger rather than a full interlocking grip.... works for me...

Depends on the round right now hahaha. Last 9- double overlap with an extended index finger.

I tried the Jordan Speith grip last night and even though it was uncomfortable I have to say according to the line I put on my ball they were some of the best rolling putts I have hit in a long time. End over end, no wobble.

Putter still feels better in hand with reverse overlap but hard to argue with the ball rolling so well. Going to try it again tonight for league play.

So, I was surprised at how many were using a 10 finger grip for their putter after reading through this thread and I thought I would give it a try. I've been using the reverse overlap grip forever and I was intrigue. I hit the practice green prior to today's round and hit about 20 putts using the 10 finger and it felt comfortable from the start. I committed to the grip all round and I was pleasantly surprised by the results. I am a convert. I didn't 3 jack once and was rolling the ball really well. I'm going to stick with it until the walls come crashing down, as they are sure to. Thanks.

Back