How do you grip your putter?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm not talking about which grip you use or how to install a grip, I am talking about how you hold your putter. We see professionals with left hand low, the claw, the reverse overlap, etc. I have tried several different ways and while some of them feel good, others are uncomfortable so tell me how do you grip your putter?

Regular overlap grip.

"Standard" left hand at the top, overlapping the pinky similar to my normal club grip.

I use just a traditional 10 finger grip. I've tried the reverse hands and claw but they always feel weird to me. The no taper Super strokes really helped my putting.

Standard overlap.

Pat O'Brien grip

Just my regular grip like several above.

• Admin
Unlike your standard grip, which is held in the fingers, your putter grip should be held in the palm of the hand. I feel the closer the hands are together, they more they work in unison. Left pinky over the last two fingers of my right hand, thumbs straight down the shaft, never to the side.

Left hand low. It just works for me.

reverse overlap, but i do have some separation between my hands. it needs work. well, my putting in general needs work. so there's that...

I use a standard overlap, but I do keep the grip more in my palms than I do with other clubs. Oversize grips help.

I'm not talking about which grip you use or how to install a grip, I am talking about how you hold your putter. We see professionals with left hand low, the claw, the reverse overlap, etc. I have tried several different ways and while some of them feel good, others are uncomfortable so tell me how do you grip your putter?
I wanted to change so that I could be more steady and effective over short putts so I studied Jordan Spieth's grip and copied it.

Reverse overlap. I'll experiment with a version of the pencil once in a while. Both feel comfortable, but mostly RO.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Have tried several different grip methods this year. Am finally comfortable with, and sticking with, left hand low.

I use the same overlap grip I used on all my full swing clubs on my putter for putting. I find it really easy to use it all the time, no matter what club I'm swinging or what shot I'm trying to hit.

I use my own unique grip.

It starts as a Standard right on top (left on top for you righties :) ), but where mine is really weird (and I've never seen anyone do this) is both my pointer fingers point down the grip on opposite sides and the bottom hand fingers curl over the top hands pointer. All three of those fingers on the bottom hand (Middle to pinky) nestle perfectly into the gap between my top hand pointer and middle finger. (I'd post a picture, but not sure how you do that on here as I can only link URL's)

It completely quiets my hands, with zero wrist action. Been using it for years and for all the crappyness that is my golf game, my putting has always been solid, so I'm sticking with it :)

Standard overlap grip

Have tried several different grip methods this year. Am finally comfortable with, and sticking with, left hand low.

This is the one I can't get comfortable with at all, it just feels awkward and the ball feels completely different off the putter face.

Right hand low, lightish grip and overlap over pinky.

Reverse overlap sort of like the O'brien grip

This is the one I can't get comfortable with at all, it just feels awkward and the ball feels completely different off the putter face.
I have messed around with it several times over the years but never previously committed to it long enough to get comfortable. I feel like a make a more solid and consistent stroke with that grip.

Back