GPS Watch vs. Range Finder

I use both actually but I could live without the rangefinder. Gps distances are just way too convenient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's a case of one being superior to the other. Its what that particular person wants.

If you are happy to have a GPS watch on your wrist then the easiness and quickness of getting your distances is great.

If you don't like wearing something on your wrist then a range finder is the option for you.

I would also suggest the level of ability comes into play. If you are an elite player then there will be competitions that a GPS watch will be banned from and also a range finder allows you to get distances to any point rather than a GPS watch which has the restrictions of whatever data the watch has downloaded.

They're really great when used in tandem, imo. Doesn't need to be an either/or but if I'm forced to pick one its my laser all day every day.

I have used both and I prefer the range finder. I feel as though the GPS watch can be less accurate especially over time. I like the ability to shoot anything I want to get distances.

I use both, gps for general distances while I'm walking up to my ball then a range finder for anything inside 150 ish. It also depends on how well the course is marked. If the course is marked well at 100/150/200 I usually will only refer to the gps so I know what a distance is to get over a hazard, if it's not marked well I tend to use it alot more.

Rangefinder for me. I don't ever wear a watch so a GPS watch isn't something I'd ever consider using. I do a a Garmin g6 that I use every round as well. I use the GPS from the tee and the rangefinder on approach shots.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I use both gps app and rangefinder equally on the course. The rangefinder shines on some of the practice ranges I use with deep grass tee areas where the stations are moved daily

If I'm in the correct fairway then the GPS is more than accurate enough for me. If I decide it time to go sight seeing in strange parts of the course then the range finder is much more effective.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! This is exactly the kind of thing that will help me decide.

Will recommend rangefinder. The one I always use is a handheld GPS though as it will give me yardage to the location of the pin.

RNG interesting you made the point about GPS watches being unreliable when you go offline from the tee. Was just posting about Shot Scope on another thread. I have the first version but that only does performance tracking. They have just realised a new product which is a GPS watch and they say they do something called "Smart" GPS. So from my understanding this means that from where ever you are it takes your angle into consideration when calculating the distances.

So the front of the green is the nearest point of the green to you not the traditional front of the green.

I definitely do both. GPS is fine, except it won't give you distance to pin. So that's when a laser is handy. Laser is also infinitely better at measuring distance to dog legs, since you have no idea where the GPS thinks the 'corner' of a dog leg is.

~Rock

I have a bit of a distance fetish as I use both.

Watch GPS =
1. Front, back, middle
2. Blind shots
3. Perfect for courses you don't know

Range Finder
1. Used with watch Back Middle Font - you know the pin position
2. Vital on oddly shaped green where B/M/F may not help
3. Shots from 120 in where you want to hit a particular section of the green to take advantage of the contours

+ Since your SN is "NEWGLFR" I assume you are relatively new at golf...with that said;

If you get a range finder, just because you get the distance to the pin, doesn't mean you should be aiming at the pin,
you should aim at the middle of the green 100% of the time!

I have seen many higher handicaps aim at the pin from 170 yards out. They have to carry thick rough and clear a bunker.
If they went to the middle of the green the ball is flying over fairway the whole way...plus, if they miss right or left they still have a chance.

They typically end up short either in the bunker or rough making their next shot harder than the first.

Congrats on picking up this great game...it is addicting and intoxicating!

Range finder for me. Biggest reason being I can't stand something on my wrist.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just can't wear any kind of watch when playing, so that is out for me.
I used to carry a gps (Skycaddie) for a few years.
Then I tried a laser (Bushnell) and have used nothing else since then.
I like the ability to shoot distances from anywhere on the course (line of sight).

I don't know how good the GPS watches are now, I use the GPS app on my my phone and get front/middle/back distances on my apple watch, and then can pull my phone if I need yardages to hazards or other layup areas.

The battery drain is pretty crazy in my opinion, and I still use my rangefinder to shoot pins but definitely use both every round.

I don't wear a watch so I wouldn't wear a gps watch.

As a struggling golfer, lately I see better results by only getting the number to the center of the green. Lets me focus on one thing

Both for me as well. I could live with either by itself, but if I had to pick I'd probably take the GPS. I'm better off aiming for the center of most greens.

I use a rangefinder. I can't stand wearing a watch on the course.

Already wear a smart watch all the time, so just have a caddie app downloaded that has proven to be pretty accurate. Generally speaking I'm going for center/front of green anyway so knowing approximate distances has proven to be better for me than trying to go pin seeking all the time.

GPS Watch for me. Pros:
- on my wrist, super handy. No time spent shooting targets
- front/middle/back lets me extrapolate pin position easily inside of my shot making ability
- hole picture (on my s6) for foreign courses

only cons are on massively deep, elevated greens when I can't see the green and closely guestimate pin position.

Laser slows a round IMHO. Very frustrating to golf with someone who lasers every single shot unless there are people always in front of us.

Laser slows a round IMHO. Very frustrating to golf with someone who lasers every single shot unless there are people always in front of us.
I know that we all have different experiences but I don't see that being the case at all. I play in a weekend skins game (20 to 30 guys) we play 18 in under 3:15 and in most cases under 3. Everyone in that group plays with a range finder.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back