Best low compression ball - value, all around good ball, etc

Going to a low compression ball. What have you hit that you like? Really don't want a super pricey ball. Thoughts/ideas?
W/S DUO ($19.99 dozen)
MaxiFli SoftFli ($25 for 2 dozen)
Srixon Soft Feel ($19.99 dozen)
W/S 50 Elite ($12.99 dozen)*

*It's actually a durable and very playable ball.

Yeah, think he meant just the regular QS. This is why I hate the QST name, it really is easy to confuse.

If it was me I would have left the Q Star as the ball it is, Z star as it is (tour level ball) and then called the QST the U Star (urethane covered Q basically). But that is me.

I loved the Wilson Staff Duo, would probably look at the WS Due Urethane if I was shopping for the winter.

Srixon Soft Feel, I just really dig it..If i do my part (swing) it pops off the club..feels great pitching and putting

I got some duo spin balls but they are so soft i cant feel on the club where i hit them. Often times i will hit a wedge and think I chuncked it and look up and see the ball launching to the green. Might sound dumb but just no feel for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm a huge fan of the Oncore Avant. $20 a dozen, the ball performs, and I like supporting the small business!

Wilson 50 elite. $10-12 a dozen and pretty good ball

Supersoft is a good ball, Titleist trusoft is great as well. I've used both but find I drive the Titleist further and I get a lower trajectory with it, the Supersoft goes too high for me

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I go with the Wilson Duo hands down. Budget Golf has them on sale for $15.00 dz.

I've played Callaway supersoft for 2 years. Great ball and I really enjoyed it around the green but the ball scuffs so easily. If the ball touches anything that isn't grass its gonna get cut and scuffed up. I'm all about the Chrome Soft right now and that ball is so durable it makes up for the extra 20 bucks.

How does the Wilson 50 elite compare to the Duo and Duo Spin?

For me its cheaper, is a little longer, I use it as cold weather ball, and has less spin off the tee and around the greens

For me its cheaper, is a little longer, I use it as cold weather ball, and has less spin off the tee and around the greens

So Wilson 50 elite is a little firmer, and less spin around the green than the Duo which is softer and has less green spin than the Duo Spin?

This thread has been great and has given me a lot of info. I'm looking for a ball with lower compression, low driver spin but decent to good spin pitching to the greens. I'm about a 20 handicap and don't play very often so durability is not a top priority. I'd like to keep the price under about $30/dozen. Based on all of the responses I think I've narrowed it down to the Callaway Supersoft, Wilson 50 Elite, Duo and Duo Spin, Srixon Q-Star Tour and Soft Feel. It seems like they are all pretty soft and low compression so I guess I am trying to compare how they are with spin on wedge shots to the green and putting feel.

I play the Duo-Urethane and absolutely love it.

Prior, my cold weather ball has long been the Wilson Zip. Since 2010, to be precise. I've played the regular DUO also and it's a fine ball but I found the Zip to be straighter off the tee, distance very similar, Duo just a bit more spin on approaches. Zip feels softer.

I still have stock of Zips but if I didn't, I'd still opt for it over the Duo. Can still be had, lots on eBay for about $14/dozen, shipped. One seller has 5 dozen available at only $7.99 each however shipping cost is not listed.

So Wilson 50 elite is a little firmer, and less spin around the green than the Duo which is softer and has less green spin than the Duo Spin?
Compression on the 50 Elite is 50 (natch) while it's 29 for the Duo if memory serves me correctly. Both of those balls will, as you stated, probably not check up on the green as well as the Duo Spin.

I hate Tapatalk

So how will the Duo Spin compare to the Super Softs, Q-Star Tour and Soft Feel in green spin and putting feel?

I play the Duo-Urethane and absolutely love it.

Prior, my cold weather ball has long been the Wilson Zip. Since 2010, to be precise. I've played the regular DUO also and it's a fine ball but I found the Zip to be straighter off the tee, distance very similar, Duo just a bit more spin on approaches. Zip feels softer.

I still have stock of Zips but if I didn't, I'd still opt for it over the Duo. Can still be had, lots on eBay for about $14/dozen, shipped. One seller has 5 dozen available at only $7.99 each however shipping cost is not listed.

Are you talking about the older 3 piece Zips or the newer 2 piece ones? Walmart has the newer 2 piece Zips for 2 dozen for $20.

Are you talking about the older 3 piece Zips or the newer 2 piece ones? Walmart has the newer 2 piece Zips for 2 dozen for $20.
The older 3 piece were in fact better, more responsive into the greens. But the 2-piece is also very good.

Of my remaining stock, I have very little of the 3-piece left (maybe none actually as I haven't checked specifically in a while) but don't pay much attention as both perform very well for me off the tee.

So how will the Duo Spin compare to the Super Softs, Q-Star Tour and Soft Feel in green spin and putting feel?
The QST has a urethane cover so it'll outperform all the others. Otherwise the Duo Spin may outperform the others you listed.

I hate Tapatalk

I have no played the DUO, however, my favorite is the Super Soft. It's my go-to in the Spring and Fall.

If you want to try out alot of balls for not alot of money, lost golf balls is a great option. I bought 7 different dozen of 4A soft-two piece balls for 50 bucks. The ones I liked so far are the Srixon Soft Feel, Callaway SuperSoft, and Wilson Staff Duo. Did not like the TaylorMade Aeroburner Soft. Titleist NXT Tour S was ok but I think other balls gave a much better value. Have not tried the TruSoft, Hex Soft.

Back