PING i Irons: THP Review Thread

I'll also add, because I know someone is going to bring it up, I think the added 1/4" is negligible in distance and ball-speed creation. IMO, its more a fitting thing than anything, I know what the PING pub/info says on the length, but we are talking 1/4". Sadly, that is going to get overthought by many.

That's a heck of a way to start your review of them James. Tons of great information in there from all aspects.

Man what a bunch of awesome that update was. Looking forward to the final review, but it looks like Ping managed to get a players profile to perform like a GI. Nice work James!

Really appreciate your efforts!

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

James your feedback keeps getting better each time :)
so , bottom line, compared to the previous i20/25, what is the more forgiving?
have these "trended" ( a word getting more and more airplay recently ) , towards the player irons, s55?
cheers

James your feedback keeps getting better each time :)
so , bottom line, compared to the previous i20/25, what is the more forgiving?
have these "trended" ( a word getting more and more airplay recently ) , towards the player irons, s55?
cheers

Thanks for the kind words toppers, it really is appreciated.

I'm still tracking ball speed retention on misses on these right now, so i
I really don't want to put a finite answer on that just yet. I'll say this though, the 20s brought toe forgiveness to a new level in an iron this size, the 25s kept it, and there's certainly no drop off with these. I'm willing to bet when all is said and done there will be very slight improvements here toe side and low, but we shall see. In the end though, just maintaining what the other had in a smaller profile would be impressive.

Def not s55 demanding, definitely.

I'll also add, because I know someone is going to bring it up, I think the added 1/4" is negligible in distance and ball-speed creation. IMO, its more a fitting thing than anything, I know what the PING pub/info says on the length, but we are talking 1/4". Sadly, that is going to get overthought by many.

Hey, hey....go easy on me Jman!:act-up:

Hey, hey....go easy on me Jman!:act-up:
Hahahaha, not nailing you or anyone on that one dude. I just know it's been a point of discussion a lot of places. I'd bet anything if I reshaft 1/4 shorter, there would be no noticeable drop in the numbers. I just think we as golfers love to find things to overthink on. In the end, get fit, and order them that way, ya know? I give kudos to ping for looking at their fitting data and adjusting the standards of the set to fit the largest portion of the bell curve, its nice seeing them really start to focus on advancing things again.

Nice work on the update dude. I see you are utilizing your new toy :D

Nice work on the update dude. I see you are utilizing your new toy :D
My mind is putty now, you absolutely called it. Hahaha

Headed to the range again today as well as the course, really going to hone in on the long irons.

As always, if there's anything specific you want to know or see, let me know!

that last update was fantastic buddy. Love the hard data. Can't argue with that.

that last update was fantastic buddy. Love the hard data. Can't argue with that.
Thanks Dean, that means a lot, seriously.

Yeah, it's a balance, but its nice to be able to go back and dig through after the fact to verify what my eye is seeing.

They're solid irons, a lot of ping fans will be very pleased, I know some don't care for the look change, but the more I see them in the bag and in hand, the better they have looked.

Yeah, it's a balance, but its nice to be able to go back and dig through after the fact to verify what my eye is seeing.

They're solid irons, a lot of ping fans will be very pleased, I know some don't care for the look change, but the more I see them in the bag and in hand, the better they have looked.

It's funny, I know many who didn't like the i25 looks either. I like the newer materials they used on these, and have been a big fan of their progressive set design dating back to the i20. Oh and lest demanding than the s55 is a nice thing.

It's funny, I know many who didn't like the i25 looks either. I like the newer materials they used on these, and have been a big fan of their progressive set design dating back to the i20. Oh and lest demanding than the s55 is a nice thing.
I think the 25s irked a lot of people bc they pretty much knew they were rehashed 20s, and I can't blame them there.

Best progressive setup in irons out there, and moreso with the profile tweaks now. Seeing these trend more towards that player look with the topline and sole makes me think we will see a tweaked g35 too, would give them the gamut with s55, iE1, g35, and gmax. Love lines with something for everyone.

And I agree on the materials, they made a good feeling line feel better, its subjective and personal I know, but I believe it.

I think the 25s irked a lot of people bc they pretty much knew they were rehashed 20s, and I can't blame them there.

Best progressive setup in irons out there, and moreso with the profile tweaks now. Seeing these trend more towards that player look with the topline and sole makes me think we will see a tweaked g35 too, would give them the gamut with s55, iE1, g35, and gmax. Love lines with something for everyone.

I commonly refer to Ping as the the Apple of OEMs, because for the most part, their clubs are always slight tweaks, until you see a new design. i10 was a new design from i5, but i15 was a tweak of i10. i20 was new, i25 was a tweak. These are more than a tweak. It's like the every other i series, or even G series, is the S model.

Anyway, with these seemingly taking more form of a players type iron(in size) do you think they are still a playable option for the mid-mid high handicap? Always thought the i series did a great job of blending that line. Playable for the low capper, but a 14 capper could still enjoy the heck out of them.

I commonly refer to Ping as the the Apple of OEMs, because for the most part, their clubs are always slight tweaks, until you see a new design. i10 was a new design from i5, but i15 was a tweak of i10. i20 was new, i25 was a tweak. These are more than a tweak. It's like the every other i series, or even G series, is the S model.

Anyway, with these seemingly taking more form of a players type iron(in size) do you think they are still a playable option for the mid-mid high handicap? Always thought the i series did a great job of blending that line. Playable for the low capper, but a 14 capper could still enjoy the heck out of them.

Agree entirely on the comparison. Which is why I'm not surprised rumors are the S55 will stay in the line another go-round, which is honestly smart IMO bc they're so damn good.

I think so, there are changes in size/profile, but none of them are massive and the irons have really seemed to maintain the forgiveness aspects of the previous two lines while adding launch and ball-speed. They may lean a smidge more the "player" direction, but honestly I think a wide range can play them just fine.

That was a fantastic update James. I love that you reviewed the i20s and i25s. Being able to go back to your notes and compare ball speed, etc. it's hard to argue. I need to hit these and like NOW. I've regretted moving on from my i20s ever since I did it. I just can't believe they made the shafts longer (alien face thingy--I'm custom ordering so length doesn't matter--plus I'm 4'8" and play 1/4" over stand anyway--double alien face thingy).

That was a fantastic update James. I love that you reviewed the i20s and i25s. Being able to go back to your notes and compare ball speed, etc. it's hard to argue. I need to hit these and like NOW. I've regretted moving on from my i20s ever since I did it. I just can't believe they made the shafts longer (alien face thingy--I'm custom ordering so length doesn't matter--plus I'm 4'8" and play 1/4" over stand anyway--double alien face thingy).

Thank you Pete!

Yeah, I'm a hoarder of data/info/thoughts, the physical and digital notebooks I have saved are hilarious.

Loving the updates and the details. For whatever reason I couldn't get along with the i25s and stayed with the i20s and grabbed a set from another OEM. The increased ball speed and distance is nice to know. I am a fan of this new look and the change from the 20/25s. The CFS has been a shaft that works for me in the I series and I am interested in seeing how well this one works with my swing.

thanks for all the info you have given and looking forward to your long iron updates as well as what you have to say on the forgiveness

On my "bad" days I really question if I'm good enough to be hitting the S-55's. On my good days, they are the best I've ever played. Though I hate to get rid of the S-55's, the iE1 may be EXACTLY what the doctor ordered for me, combining the "looks" of a players iron with a little foregiveness built in. Thanks for your feedback on these JMAN. Your review has convinced me I need to "place the order"....

So happy you had the i25s to compare these to. Keep it up Jman you always do a great job. The i25s already surprised me a lot with their launch and ball speed.

the Bridgestone J15 CB's are 1/4" longer than the RSi2's I had, and I honestly didn't even notice.

I think people overthink shaft lengths anyways.

*high five*

Back