Older new golfers, what made you take up golf?

I'm 57 now and started playing when I was 24. I broke my ankle in my early 20's and couldn't run well enough to play softball anymore. I needed something to do with my spare time and my brother introduced me to the game. I was really into it throughout my 20's and 30's!!!

I picked it up when a few co-workers kept urging me in my mid 30s. I was by far the worst from our group but kept practicing. About 8 months in I took my dad for either his bday or Father's day and hooked him on it. He then became my regular playing partner.

Can't see myself jumping to another hobby

Unforunately, my cousin died a couple years of a sudden cardiac event after weightlifting. Found out I had the same gene. Not allowed to play basketball anymore so golf it is.

I got fat and decided to take up golf and walk instead of going to a gym..........down 60 pounds.

This is my 4th year playing, 51 in 3 months. My oldest boy got sick of soccer in his jr year of high school. He then decided that the golf team needed a new player so he said to me "want to golf with me as I am going to try out for the golf team"? I said sure, family time is good time! He quit in 2 years as the inconsistency in the playing of the game killed his desire. I, on the other hand, have found something I enjoy. I am trying to not necessarily become a better golfer, per se, but trying to be more consistent at what I am already good at in the game.

I got fat and decided to take up golf and walk instead of going to a gym..........down 60 pounds.

good for you! if walking about the course made me lose weight I should be down 60 pounds. walking has had zero effect on my weight.

[FONT="]What about you gen-X'er & baby boomer new golfers? What made you decide to start and what's your approach to the game?[/FONT]

Similar story to yours. I also walk the course (mostly) and appreciate the exercise. I've done a lot of sports, and had many, many hobbies over the years. I told myself I'd play golf when I get old, and I did. When competitive softball was even thrashing my body, I decided it was time.

Of all my sports and hobbies, golf is probably the most challenging to do well, and maybe my favorite. I love it. But I hate it too, cause I hate to suck at anything, lol.

I started when I was 13, in Chicago. Someone took me golfing and that's all I remember. No lessons, borrowed clubs, poor course etc. But I got hooked and that was 57 years ago. As a 100% Disabled Veteran from being a Navy/Marine Corpsman I have played steady for the last 26 years after being one of 43K liver transplants in this country. I now play for my mind and my body. It's great for both. What can I say, I am a golf addict. lol

I played when I was younger but stopped through my late 20s until my mid 40s. I picked it back up for the competitiveness of it since I couldn't play hockey any longer. That and I have the time now and want to get better before I stop working.

Back