Older new golfers, what made you take up golf?

TruGolfer

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]For me. I'm in my 40's, just started playing golf 6 months ago for stress relief & exercise (beats expensive therapies). I like to walk the courses with a pushcart and not worry too much about keeping score or hitting the balls far (my best drive is only 190). I took a few pro lessons but am mainly self-taught through watching youtube and tips from other experienced players. None of my friends golf so I play as a single, sometimes joining local meetup groups. One thing I discovered was no matter how well I did at the range I could not hit the balls worth a damn on the course, so I mainly 'practice' on the course now, hitting several balls from the tee and each stop (I also go during off-peak times so as not to hold up other people). This improved my game dramatically. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What about you gen-X'er & baby boomer new golfers? What made you decide to start and what's your approach to the game?[/FONT]

I started when I was in my mid 40's mostly do to becoming a Salesperson and Customers wanted to golf. 58 now and a complete club addict, love to play anytime, anywhere.

I had messed around as a kid because my dad was a pretty good golfer in his day (I only know that from all the trophies he had around) and he used to take me along. That was how I got learned to play right handed clubs, I am severely left handed for most everything else except shooting.

I began this journey 5 years ago when I was 45. I had to give up playing hoops due to natural causes.

I needed something to satisfy my need to compete.

My goal was to “not suck” so I could play with anyone without being embarrassed.

5 years later and I have a serious problem.

You know your screwed because your brain keeps moving the finish line...which means you aren’t satisfied when you break 100, 90 80 and I am sure if I ever beat par I’ll never have the feeling that I am “done.”
The good news is that this ride is so sweet....

Is there any better place to be than in the middle of the fairway with a scoring iron in your hand, eyeing up the flag in an attempt to get inside your competitors approach shot?

I regret not to have started sooner, however, I am thankful that I found this game and I intend to
milk it for all that it is worth!

I grew up rather poor, but always watched Golf. We didn't have money for clubs, lessons, or course fees. I did have a beat up old 9i I bought at a garage sale and hacked away at a range, but never anything serious. I bought Walmart clubs during College but never really had time or money to play.

Two years ago, my then 8 year old son and I were watching Golf and he mentioned that he'd like to try it out. I bought him a Junior set, bought myself a cheapo Top Flite set, and eventually my older daughter also got interested and I got her a set as well. Last year I hurt my back and could not play, but this season, things have really ramped up. Right before I got hurt I bought a nice set of Cobra Fly-Z clubs and am really enjoying this year.

I picked up the game in my late 30's when my doctor told me I couldn't run or play hockey any more. Some good friends of mine had gotten into golf a few years earlier, so I dusted off the old Dunlop blades my father passed down to me in my early teens and started hitting the range. I slowly started to play with them and acquire new gear :)

I picked up the game in my late 30's when my doctor told me I couldn't run or play hockey any more.

Sounds like you're 'Happy' now.

:laugh:

I dabbled for a brief time after college but didn't have anyone to play with so I ended up stopping.Fast forward 10+ years and I went to Scotland on vacation. A last minute change in plans had us spend a day in St. Andrews and I walked out onto the Swilcan Bridge. We had also decided before going that we wanted to experience the Open at Muirfield while we were there and went to a day of it before we flew home. I bought a set of clubs 2 weeks later and it's be an obsession ever since. I was 36 then and I just turned 40 this year.

Won a local contest and almost went to Florida, but this place started my journey to actual golf.

Started in my late 40s due to business. started as a way of networking. And, now, here I am, completely addicted. Even worse, to support my addiction, I became a club 'ho. No hope for me.

I started early in life but hated the game. I was hit by a drunk driver and suffered a broken back and severe Traumatic Brain Injury. I am not allowed to do any sports that risk another head injury. I play golf 2-3 times a week and LOVE IT!!!!!!!! I am in my late 40's and LOVE the game. I play with 6 others at my course that are all retired in their 60's and we have a great time every time we play. My friends all work full time. People say that it would be great to be retired at my age, but it sucks. I feel blessed to be alive, have love for a new past time, and have new friends to share the game I love.

I'm in my mid-40s and picked up some clubs after a knee surgery had slowed me on the tennis court.

Similar to tomcat, long distance runner for 30 years. Over did it like i do everything {golf included}, and wore thru the cartilage under my left knee cap. They were able to repair it but told me the scar tissue taking the place of that cartilage was not going to be as durable as original, so I quit running immediately and took up golf. I never gave then game the respect it deserves until i started to play. It is the most difficult game I've ever played and I am absolutely addicted.

Im in my mid 40's (Just). I dabbled in my 20's then stopped. I moved permanently to Thailand in 2011, brought a set of clubs but didn't play. Mid 2013 my wife asked why I didn't play? I started practicing then took lessons and got completely hooked on it. Approx 9 months later my wife who is the same age as me took it up. Its a great way for us to spend time together when I am home from working away.

The training for a new job was pretty tough. I was getting stressed out so I went to the driving range to crush the life outta some balls. I was terrible, but it helped me relax. It was a slippery slope, but here I am 2 years later regretting not starting sooner.

I started because everyone in my family golfed when I was a kid.

A friend pushed me to go to the range, he didn't have any buddies to play with so his motives were clear, but I've always liked watching the game and love a challenge so from that day on I haven't stopped.

That's the real key to growing the game, friends need to push others to play, because many that don't don't even realize they would love it.

That's the real key to growing the game, friends need to push others to play, because many that don't don't even realize they would love it.

Parents who play should encourage their kids as well. The greatest joy for me is taking our 13 year old daughter and 10 year old son out for 9 holes. Hopefully our 7 year old daughter will join eventually.

Jacqui wanted to learn golf in 2008. She had just moved here and we played on a co-ed softball team in 2007, but we were the oldest ones on the team, and after games we wanted to go home, because we had work in the morning! The rest of the team just wanted to go hit the bars and party. Would have been fine 15 years earlier, but not at the time. Just didn't jell with the team and she wanted to do something else. She knew I liked to golf and wanted to do it too.

I'm 42. I got into golfing with some buddies years ago (early 20's) but we never took it too seriously. Meaning it wasn't something we worked at a whole lot, just played and played and played.

Got married, more responsibility, kid, etc, and played two rounds of golf from about 2002 thru June 2017. My daughter is 14 and has been on the go with friends so much...(and I'm divorced) so had all this free time all the sudden...thought to myself, well, I guess I need a hobby. Cue up digging out the old clubs, hitting some balls, taking a lesson, upgrading some clubs, taking more lessons, hitting more balls...and....I'm hooked. Again.

One thing I've got going for me this time, is I have the desire to really learn and get better, hence the lessons (three so far, just started playing again in July...) and another thing I've got going for me is that I'm older and less of a hothead...less worried about hitting as far as that guy, or beating this guy, etc. I'm happy to compete with myself, and I don't get pissed off and lose my focus like I used to. I do want to get better, don't get me wrong, but hitting a bad shot isn't going to throw off the rest of my day like it used to. Back then, I actually walked off the course one time...haha...left my buddy to finish out the last four holes or so by himself.

I'm a competitive guy by nature (still) I just am a cooler head than I used to be, open to critique more, and understand that I'm not going to drive the ball like a pro, or go out and shoot 80 (maybe someday). And I'm cool with that. I have always liked the game...and I think I'm getting back into at a good time.

At around 30, my friends and I got too old and injury prone for basketball so we took up golf. I also had a heel spur that slowed me down a lot. I got down to a 11 handicap and was driving 280 average before all this technology. After my 2nd child was born, I completely stopped for 7 years. I'm 46 now, I started my son into golf after he realized that baseball and basketball wasn't for him.

It's a great feeling to be out there with him. Now, my drives will go 250 max and my 7 iron barely goes 150 when I used to get there with a 9 iron. It's not easy to get out to play and practice when you have a full time job and a family. My objective is to shoot around 90 like before, I did break 80 maybe 5 times. My son just joined the first tee and I am looking for a swing coach now before I go to Palm Springs with friends mid September. Unlike basketball, I can play this game until I'm 70 and I'm gonna enjoy every minute of it.

I took a couple lessons at a local range about 8 years ago, when I just turned 30... I would hit a bucket of balls here and there for 4-5 years. Didn't actually start getting out to play until 4 years ago, and started playing semi-consistently beginning of last year. I've been struggling with un-learning some bad habits I developed early on, and it's been tough, but I keep trying, lol.

played a couple times a year for years, and the last few years those were primarily 2-man scrambles with guys I used to work with. At some point I was dreading going out because the golf itself was not fun. Not sure how many times you can put a ball 180 yards right of the fairway, follow up with a line drive skull that ricochets backwards off a tree followed by a massive 4 yard chunk and still call it fun. But I really enjoyed hanging out with the guys so I kept going. Then I got my current job where there are some really good golfers and we do company golf outings. I did not want to embarrass myself in this much more high-powered, type a personality environment.

So really just started playing in my early 40s

Got fitted for clubs, started taking lessons, got a march to October pass at a cheap retirement course nearby. Played 92 9 hole rounds there two years ago, a few less last year. On a completely unrelated note, I recently shot even par at my favorite course over the last ten holes (we won't mention the 14 over on the first 8 including a par and birdie) and one under for nine at the retirement course...apparently proper equipment, proper instruction, and large amounts of play has some result...the game is much more enjoyable these days to the point I travel with my clubs and while the wife and inlaws hang out at the pool drinking, I go on nice courses and whack the pellet around the cow pasture to my own great amusement

Growing up my dad didn't play so I didn't and I thought that golf was so boring. I use to hate when a major was on and they would cancel my saturday morning cartoons. In my mid 20's toward the end of college I saw a lot of guys were getting married and going golfing for bachelor parties. I realized in the future I may be asked to golf with my future father in law or a boss so I better learn how to be halfway decent and not embarrass myself. Got my grandpas old clubs including a persimmon wood and started hacking. Was instantly hooked. I love watching, reading, playing, thinking about golf. I still play baseball but golf has easily passed all other sports as my number 1 hobby.

I played a few times with relatives maybe 6 or 7 years ago but I was mostly just along for the ride and had no idea what I was doing.

I am now 36 and last month my wife and I took a trip to Scotland. As a sports fan in general I figured I couldn't make that trip without going to St. Andrews so we included that in our plans. The weather was just perfect and walking around on a tour with all the history it just sucked me in. As soon as I got back I pulled the hand me down clubs my dad gave me out of my garage and went and got myself a new bag since the old one had dry rotted and the bottom fell out. Been hitting the range or trying to play at least 9 holes several times a week now. Still pretty terrible but its pretty relaxing to get out on the course and enjoy the views and weather. Hoping to one day make a return trip to Scotland to play at St. Andrews along with some other courses.

I am going to get my wife out to the range this weekend, if the weather cooperates, hoping I can get her mildly interested as well.

Back