Equipment vs Instruction

I have never had a lesson, but based on my buddies experiences, they seem to "wear off." Due to lack of practice, or losing the fight with your natural tendencies.
While I haven't had a formal lesson I practice a lot...and I have been on a continued path of improvement.

With that said, hand over the goods, and I'll be on my way.

Im taking the lessons every time

So what I'm gathering from most here is that they would rather take the equipment all day long. Only because they don't have the time, nor the dedication to employ the lessons once they get them. So most would rather continue to suck at it, with their old swing, as long as they have brand new sticks in their hands? I don't see the logic.
In the long run, what is going to make you a better player ... that shiny new equipment or lessons that you can fall back on time and again? Unless you have the mentality that "if I'm gonna suck, I'm gonna look good doing it" then by all means. But I'd rather have someone say "Wow you hit the ball really well & have an awesome swing with your age old equipment, imagine what you could do with today's equipment" ... then to say "man he's got $2,000 worth of equipment in that bag, maybe he should have spent that money on lessons instead cause he sucks something fierce."

Not a Sermon ... Just a Thought :)

So both prize packs would be worth thousands of dollars. I'm not sure I would want instruction for that price and end up having nothing to show for it. At least I'd get all new clubs with the fitting, which might help my scores anyways. I can find decent teachers for a lot less IMO. Fun to think about though, thanks for the thread topic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see your point, but I'd argue that you would have something to show for it if your scores could drop significantly using the same set of clubs you currently have.

I think lessons are invaluable. That said, I'd take the clubs in this case, bring them home, and keep practicing and working with the guy I'm currently taking lessons from. He's already helped me a great deal as I have gotten back into the game.

So that's a win-win for me...best of the best with equipment and continue taking lessons/practicing as I'm already doing...

#golfisfun and enjoy how you want but for me I'm taking the instruction because grinding away and working to get better is fun for me and I enjoy working on the range as much as playing golf on the course. New gear is nice but I like what I have now and whatever I upgrade to when the time comes I will upgrade to something I like to look at and play and makes me want to go out and swing them

I see your point, but I'd argue that you would have something to show for it if your scores could drop significantly using the same set of clubs you currently have.

Yea this is true and although you would PROBABLY improve, you're scores aren't guaranteed. At least with clubs, even if I quit golf, I have something to show for it.

Sorry, I'm probably being too technical and realistic about the question. But it's honestly what I would choose lol

So what I'm gathering from most here is that they would rather take the equipment all day long. Only because they don't have the time, nor the dedication to employ the lessons once they get them. So most would rather continue to suck at it, with their old swing, as long as they have brand new sticks in their hands? I don't see the logic.
In the long run, what is going to make you a better player ... that shiny new equipment or lessons that you can fall back on time and again? Unless you have the mentality that "if I'm gonna suck, I'm gonna look good doing it" then by all means. But I'd rather have someone say "Wow you hit the ball really well & have an awesome swing with your age old equipment, imagine what you could do with today's equipment" ... then to say "man he's got $2,000 worth of equipment in that bag, maybe he should have spent that money on lessons instead cause he sucks something fierce."

Its not a fact that NOT taking lessons equals sucking....or visa versa.

The instruction is useless if you don't have the time to then ingrain that instruction into your swing. I find even making the smallest changes difficult, so I'll take the gear.

Yea this is true and although you would PROBABLY improve, you're scores aren't guaranteed. At least with clubs, even if I quit golf, I have something to show for it.

Sorry, I'm probably being too technical and realistic about the question. But it's honestly what I would choose lol

Touche`. And I'm always open for dialogue so I appreciate the perspective!

I'd go the lessons route hands down! I am extremely happy with my bag right now though, so there's that...

Time is a factor, but, with that kind of instruction it's not like it won't be documented. So it could be something that you take your time to incorporate. Just the short game and putting lessons would be pretty immediate improvements and getting some swing thoughts for what you need what be worth it in my opinion. The equipment would eventually be outdated anyway, so it's only gonna stay in the bag for so long.

12 1-hr lessons....hmm I think I might actually go this route if it was a well known teacher like you listed. If it were with the driving range pro I'd take the clubs

Touche`. And I'm always open for dialogue so I appreciate the perspective!

Absolutely. But don't get me wrong, I'm a huge supporter of lessons. I've taken quite a few lessons over the years and they are truly the only reason why I've gotten down to a 7cap.

I take it as the lessons will barely make you better playing 1 day a week. I think unless you are naturally really good you need to play 4-5 days a week to really get good and maximize those lessons.

Absolutely. But don't get me wrong, I'm a huge supporter of lessons. I've taken quite a few lessons over the years and they are truly the only reason why I've gotten down to a 7cap.

If only I were a 7...
Heck, I'd take the bag of clubs too.

I get to keep my current bag (or soon to be bag :D)? I'm taking Hank and the 12 pack.

I have zero clubs or a 1985 set I use to play with in high school? I'm taking the new equipment

I would go with the lessons, especially from someone of that caliber.

Chuck Barkley would take the sticks.

I take it as the lessons will barely make you better playing 1 day a week. I think unless you are naturally really good you need to play 4-5 days a week to really get good and maximize those lessons.

That really depends on your goals. For example, I was at the range the other day and couldn't figure out why I was hitting the ball so poorly all of a sudden. The guy net to me was having a lesson and was describing to the pro what was wrong, which sounded an awful lot like what was happening to me. The Pro told he to stay in his stance through out the swing and keep his chest down. BINGO! I started doing this and was hitting the balls MUCH better. now I have those two thing running through my head every time I address the ball. It's made a big difference and now I am more confident with my ball striking.

I generally get to the range once a week and get to play a round once a month.

You shot a 73 last week......Hank isn't going to change a thing on you. Wasted $$$$.

I'm trying to get to 63 brudda

I am largely very happy with my equipment. I am largely not happy with my instructor. Give me the lessons.

You have kids now.......not happening. Take the clubs.

But, but, but...you are probably right but I'm hard-headed so I'll take the lessons and pitch some ideas for some new swing trainers to Hank while I'm there.

I would take the gear, but not because I don't value instruction... I have spent a good amount of money on lessons (not as much as I have spent on equipment, but I digress :D), and have found that it's not just a matter of "good" instruction. The reality is, I have learned better from certain teaching pros versus others. Does that mean some were good and some were bad? Not necessarily. Rather, it's more a matter of which teaching approach meshes better with my abilities/preferences related to learning, comprehending, and executing on what I'm trying to change/update in my swing.

Back