Equipment vs Instruction

dacatalyst41

#ReptheG #RocktheChev
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was having a conversation with one of my good friends CaddyShack (who also happens to be a new THP'er) and the conversation turned to whether or not we would rather win a brand new bag of clubs or instruction at a top tier golf academy. The internet golfer in me wanted to immediately choose the former, but after considering top equipment vs top instruction, I decided I would choose the latter.
I think proper technique (for me) would help me enjoy the game to the fullest, regardless of what I was playing. I LOVE this game, but it would be awesome to play it at a high level.

What say you? Would you take 12 1-hr lessons with Hank Haney, Butch Harmon and the like or a full bag of the best clubs money can buy?

Last edited:
What good is it to have the best clubs money can buy if you can't swing them? This is a no brainer for me ... definitely the lessons from one of the top instructors.

Being a 24 handicap, I would go for the top tier instruction for sure.

I'd go with the full set of clubs honestly. Would I love to have instruction, sure, but I don't have the time to commit to lessons.

How much instruction? If it's one or two lessons, give me the clubs all day every day. If it's instruction for at least a year, I might go lessons. But one or two lessons isn't going to sway me away from a new bag.

A weekend or a week of instruction would be an awesome price with the right instructor. I'd choose a bag full of clubs instead of one session with pro.

As much as I should take the instruction I would take the gear. I've done lessons and don't have the desire to put in the work needed for the instruction to be effective.

I'm content with my self taught swing and knowing that I'll never get lower than a 7-8 index.

I updated the question with a number of lessons for added context.

I have played some of my best golf with less than great clubs. That is due to the instruction I was getting at the time. I think you have to know how to use a tool before you go out to buy the best version of that tool. Golf is no different. And it doesn't mean you have to get Butch Harmon. Any PGA Instructor can make someones games better if the student is willing to work at it. If not and you just want to have fun then that's cool too.

Last edited:
If it was a long-term commitment instruction (a season or a year or more), I'd take the top instructor every time. And it wouldn't have to be a famous instructor. In fact, my ideal scenario would be with a top-flight local instructor; someone who genuinely cares about me & improving my game.

And with the money I'd save over going the "big name" instructor I could still buy clubs:alien:

Having spent tons of money on clubs, and having spent a couple grand on 3 days with Butch Harmon... I would take top instruction every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I went from a 19 handicap to a 13, and was trending down lower than that (shot 76 followed by 9 holes at 39) before work kept me from playing for months, and then meeting my wife.

Now that I type this I think I need to check this out and possibly do something similar again this winter.

Having just bought new clubs and taken lessons, I will attest that the lessons by far have made the most improvement in my game.

I think the instruction is far more valuable provided you are willing to put in the time to ingrain what is learned into your swing.

I don't need the best clubs money can buy. I'm super happy with the clubs I have.

But a learned eye helping my game would be phenomenal. Lessons all the way!

For me, I'd take the gear. Instruction only works if you have a lot of time to practice what you were taught. I unfortunately do not have that luxury.

I still stand by my first response. If I won the lottery & money didn't matter to me, I'd still take the lessons.

Once you get "real" lessons, you know what to work on. You know how your swing is & how it performs ... regardless of the sticks in your hands. I once got my a** handed to me by an old man with straight up blades, we are talking 70's, early 80's blades, not the forgiving kind of today & I had the GI irons. He had the most beautiful swing, straight down the middle every time & he hit the center of the clubface all the time .... just because of his mechanics.

So yeah ... give me the lessons & let me groove my swing, then I don't care what sticks are in my hands. I will have the confidence to swing them all. :)

I'm in a bit of a weird place in that I've got a couple bag setups at my disposal that I love, so being enticed by equipment is pretty low.

That said, in most cases I'm taking the lesson and hoping it is a ten pack so I actually get something out of it. Would love to find the right individual to refine my game.

I've taken 6 lessons this year, and dropped my cap from 12.5 last year to around a 10 this year. If you go the instruction route you also have to practice and play though.

My vote is instruction over equipment.

Having spent tons of money on clubs, and having spent a couple grand on 3 days with Butch Harmon... I would take top instruction every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I went from a 19 handicap to a 13, and was trending down lower than that (shot 76 followed by 9 holes at 39) before work kept me from playing for months, and then meeting my wife.

Now that I type this I think I need to check this out and possibly do something similar again this winter.
I'd do the same. I've taken instruction, but couldn't afford the time I really needed so it left me in transition between swings. Terrible feeling. Plus I want lessons where the instructor puts me into proper positions so I can get the right feel.
If I could get lessons with Butch Harmon...wow.

Can I take C? A fully set up accurate sim/launch monitor in my house.

I'd do the same. I've taken instruction, but couldn't afford the time I really needed so it left me in transition between swings. Terrible feeling. If I could get lessons with Butch Harmon...wow.

It was mostly with his staff, but he was around and did some work with him. For me it broke some awful swing habits, but I needed to keep practicing to in grain the new technique.

Unfortunately I lost what I learned and have been trying to dig my way out of the hole I am in.

I'd definitely take the instruction. That level of expertise is invaluable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've really got to say, there is a lot more to it than just lessons vs equipment. I've had lessons from a really good instructor and didn't have the time and dedication needed to make them worthwhile. If you don't have the time to practice a lot, gotta take the shiny new stuff IMO.

i'd take a full custom bag fitting outdoors any day and twice on sunday over instruction.

So both prize packs would be worth thousands of dollars. I'm not sure I would want instruction for that price and end up having nothing to show for it. At least I'd get all new clubs with the fitting, which might help my scores anyways. I can find decent teachers for a lot less IMO. Fun to think about though, thanks for the thread topic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back