Vegas Locals Thread

campilobaxter

Mustachioed Root Vegetable
Reaction score
Handicap
I know there are a number of threads discussing Las Vegas and surrounding area courses, but I haven't seen one that is dedicated to THPers who live and play in Vegas. Feel free to discuss your rounds at local courses, course conditions, successes, gripes, etc. in this thread.

I'll go first.

I played my first round at TPC Summerlin yesterday, which is the site of the Shriner's Hospital for Children's Open. A buddy of mine is friends with a member and he got us on at noon. I'm accustomed to playing golf in the afternoon summer sun of Vegas, but apparently the members at TPC Summerlin are not because the place was empty. The cart girl made her last round at 1:30 because, she said, they rarely have anyone out on the course after that.

The course was in good summer shape and had received lots of watering. The starter indicated the greens were very slow due to the water, which was fairly accurate. Shriner's is in early October, so I'm sure they are eager to keep the greens in good condition through the summer to get ready for the tournament. Lots of challenging holes and interesting bunker placements. Maybe the most difficult thing, for me, was the Bermuda grass. Shots in the rough were very difficult due to how low the ball sits down in the grass. I've got to say, Bermuda isn't my favorite. But the course is fun and challenging and I'm glad I had the opportunity to play it.

Next week, TPC Las Vegas!

Legacy GC in Henderson was bought and shut down a few months ago. It was a quality course and I was sad to see it go. However, the residents living around the course went to court and got a TRO to keep the water on. Now the new owners have said that they will keep it a golf course "forever and ever." It is scheduled to reopen in about a month.

That's great news, but I'm not sold. ONe of the new owners is a real estate business man against whom I happen to do have numerous lawsuits (not personally, but my clients). The guy isn't interested in owning a golf course, he wants to develop it. We'll see.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local...unce-hendersons-legacy-golf-club-will-reopen/

Played Desert Pines today. They didn't shut down for overseeding this year, but did move some tee boxes around to reseed a few. Over all the course was in very good shape, although the greens were a little rough. Not uncommon after a long hot summer.

Has anyone played Wildhorse recently? I'm new to the Vegas area and my dad is coming out in a week, we're looking for a decent spot for a round for <$75 each if we can find it.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Has anyone played Wildhorse recently? I'm new to the Vegas area and my dad is coming out in a week, we're looking for a decent spot for a round for <$75 each if we can find it.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Welcome to the thread! :D

I haven't played it, but I think I heard recently that it was in poor shape. Here are some recent reviews that suggest its not too bad. Price seems right too.

https://www.golfnow.com/courses/1034023-wildhorse-golf-course-details#ratings-snapshot

The Revere, Lexington course is just coming out of overseeding. Cart path only, but you can get it on golfnow for $35. That's a great deal on that course, IMO.

I'll be in Vegas on oct 24th for three days. I'm playing on the 24th. Where I don't know. Will the course be still green or we looking at multi colored grass by then. I hate dead rough.

I haven't played it, but I think I heard recently that it was in poor shape. Here are some recent reviews that suggest its not too bad. Price seems right too.

https://www.golfnow.com/courses/1034023-wildhorse-golf-course-details#ratings-snapshot

The Revere, Lexington course is just coming out of overseeding. Cart path only, but you can get it on golfnow for $35. That's a great deal on that course, IMO.

One of my favs in Vegas is the Lexington course....hole 10 is a blast.

I'll be in Vegas on oct 24th for three days. I'm playing on the 24th. Where I don't know. Will the course be still green or we looking at multi colored grass by then. I hate dead rough.

If you are playing a course with bermuda rough, it will likely be brown by then. Or trending that way. There are a few courses with non-bermuda rough, like Rhodes Ranch, that stay green all year long.

If you are playing a course with bermuda rough, it will likely be brown by then. Or trending that way. There are a few courses with non-bermuda rough, like Rhodes Ranch, that stay green all year long.

I know Paiute, arroyo and mtn falls don't overseed. Any others ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Paiute, arroyo and mtn falls don't overseed. Any others ?

Desert Pines didn't overseed this year. Most courses will be well out of overseeding by late October, so they should all be in pretty nice shape.

Thanks camp. More then welcome to play on the 24th if you have the time

Thanks camp. More then welcome to play on the 24th if you have the time

Love to try to make it work. Let me know what your plans are.

Excellent, thanks for the suggestion! I'm looking forward to getting to know the courses here.

When it's a closer I will, but i will be playing on the 24th maybe the 25th too.

not a local but get to vegas every spring and stay a week and play 3 days. Not one to stry to far from strip because of cab fare would like to play bears best some time

not a local but get to vegas every spring and stay a week and play 3 days. Not one to stry to far from strip because of cab fare would like to play bears best some time
That's a fun course, been a couple of years since I played it though. Some really tough holes.

Man I just saw some pics of the summit course. Man what a beautiful course.

Man I just saw some pics of the summit course. Man what a beautiful course.
Opening next week I heard. Looks incredible, and I'll probably never get the chance to play it.

Hope everyone is safe tonight.

Thinking about all of you out there right now and hope everyone is safe and okay

Please tell me our THP family members are safe.

Hope everyone is safe.

Back