Wedges do you really need to replace?

Lynchburg14

Reaction score
Handicap
Talking to a co-worker about golf and we started talking about wedges. He talked about getting some new ones because his were in his words worn out. It got me thinking because I see a lot of people here replace wedges Often, are you good enough to replace your wedges. Does having new groves really make you that much better around the greens? Are you spinning the ball back and making it stop on a dime more often with a new wedge than your old one?

I replace mine yearly usually because I want to try a new type of wedge that said this year I will more than likely be sticking with the j15s but getting a new set. I notice a pretty big difference after a year of practice and play. Not that they are worn out by any means but I figure why not have the most stopping power I can

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Talking to a co-worker about golf and we started talking about wedges. He talked about getting some new ones because his were in his words worn out. It got me thinking because I see a lot of people here replace wedges Often, are you good enough to replace your wedges. Does having new groves really make you that much better around the greens? Are you spinning the ball back and making it stop on a dime more often with a new wedge than your old one?

if you practice/play a lot, or play in sandy conditions, it can really wear out the face. I've never personally worn out the grooves on wedges, but yes I can spin the ball quite a bit and the grooves help clear a bunch of stuff away to allow for clean contact. New deeper grooves will help clear more grass and stuff away than older worn out ones. Not really a skill thing, more of an amount used thing.

Interesting enough I asked that exact question to the Cleveland/Srixon peeps when we were out for the #UpAndDown event last year. Adam Sheldon said that unless you are banging wedge after wedge on the range everyday and/or using them excessively that the grooves do now wear down enough that you would lose spin or control from what you first would see. Some wedges do have technology like Cleveland and Callaway where the wedges do carry a coat on the wedge that helps promote spin and control but usually wears off after a few rounds of play. So long story short, Adam indicated that one could play their wedges for years before they would notice any difference.

Unless you're a range rat, I would say you wouldn't need to replace them more than every 3 years.

Practicing at the range, with sand, and hard range balls is what will wear the wedge. Especially if you're hitting dozens of shots during practice.

I would say a vast majority of amateurs don't have to replace wedges often. I think it comes down to wanting new and shiny, new technology, or the perception that the grooves are worn out from play.

i heard Justin Rose replaces his wedges at around 1000 shots because he wants the newer fresher grooves.

I just replaced mine because I use them a lot practice with them a bunch and am always trying to get as close to the green as possible which leads to plenty of wedge play.

I could see every few years but I still don't think its necessary for us mere mortals. My wedges are 3-4 years old now and I think my wedge game is better than it was when I got them. It would be interesting to see if a fresh set helped or not.

Interesting enough I asked that exact question to the Cleveland/Srixon peeps when we were out for the #UpAndDown event last year. Adam Sheldon said that unless you are banging wedge after wedge on the range everyday and/or using them excessively that the grooves do now wear down enough that you would lose spin or control from what you first would see. Some wedges do have technology like Cleveland and Callaway where the wedges do carry a coat on the wedge that helps promote spin and control but usually wears off after a few rounds of play. So long story short, Adam indicated that one could play their wedges for years before they would notice any difference.

I would imagine most of the issues with loss of spin comes from the fact that they're dirty. I know I don't clean the grooves as much as I should.

Took my 2 year old wedges to a local club builder who does most of the work for the country clubs in the area. I mentioned that the people at Vokey suggest replacing wedges after 140 rounds so he took a look at my grooves.

He said they looked fine and replacing them after 140 rounds is a bunch of BS. My wedges have at least 200 rounds... plus practice.

I got to meet Chris Koske from Callaway Golf this past summer (he is in charge of their wedge department) and we got to talking and he said wedges should be replaced by the average golfer yearly, depending on rounds played etc. He said what really wears them down is sand play.

Take it for what its worth but I talked to a tour rep from TMAG and he said most of their tour guys replace monthly... (they obviously hit a TON more balls then we do).

With all of this said, i wonder how much performance it actually takes away by using worn wedges?

I would imagine most of the issues with loss of spin comes from the fact that they're dirty. I know I don't clean the grooves as much as I should.

Great point and that is something Adam said was the main cause of someone thinking their wedge was not on point. It's the dirt in the grooves most times that cause less spin, not that the metal was worn or shaped differently now.

I use a sand wedge out of the desert AND on full shots. I have so many nicks in the face from hitting rocks, that is the main wedge that gets replaced. Having said that, I used the same wedge for two seasons before just recently "replacing" the wedge with a newer wedge that I did not use as much, and bent to 56*, rather than buying a new wedge.

If sand shots are the main cause of wedge wear, I guess replacement depends on the number of bunker shots one hits in a season. Higher GIR = less need for wedge replacement?

Higher GIR = less need for wedge replacement?

Haha... see, you are even saving yourself money by hitting more GIR!!!

I do not have the skill to spin the ball back not have I work out a set of wedges ever. I replace them simply because I want to try something different.

I think some people do, especially if they are made out of softer metals. When I used to hit the range every day and practice out of the bunkers I'd replace wedges twice a year because the grooves closed up in the center of the face, I also think most folks don't need to worry about it due to the fact that they don't practice out of the sand that much and they dont strike the same spot on the face with enough repitition to have a damaging effect short term, long term (every couple years) I think everyone can benefit from sharper edges.

I recall one of the other staff members saying you would get virtually the same spin with a completely groove-less face if you were hitting off a perfect lie that had zero debris.

That is the gist of what we were told. Overwhelmingly, the grooves are there to clear away debris. If they are dulled or dirty less debris will be cleared away.

For what it's worth, I have seen launch monitor testing between old/worn wedges and new wedges and the spin numbers didn't drastically change.

I feel like worn wedges are over thought a bit. I could play mine for years and probably not have too many issues. I bought new ones because I wanted new toys lol

I have never worn out any irons or wedges. The ball is not made of metal........

Do they wear? Of course, but you have to hit thousands of shots with them.

I know I have read in several different places around the Internet and personal conversations on and off course about replacing wedges yearly. I think it becomes a head game if you think new wedges will help you score better it will. You need to be confident in your clubs.

I use a sand wedge out of the desert AND on full shots. I have so many nicks in the face from hitting rocks, that is the main wedge that gets replaced. Having said that, I used the same wedge for two seasons before just recently "replacing" the wedge with a newer wedge that I did not use as much, and bent to 56*, rather than buying a new wedge.

If sand shots are the main cause of wedge wear, I guess replacement depends on the number of bunker shots one hits in a season. Higher GIR = less need for wedge replacement?

The only time I had to replace a wedge was returning from Scotsdale last year. The wastelands destroyed my 56 to the point that balls were getting shredded from the cuts/scrapes on the face. Plus the rust was terrible as I went from the nice, dry desert back to the humid Midwest.

Other than that, I'm only on my 3rd set of wedges in 20 years of golf playing with wedges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My favorite wedge is probably 7-8 years old at this point. I bought a "regrooving" tool at Golfsmith, honestly not sure if it actually did anything to help, all I know is I'm so comfortable with it for various shots that I absolutely do NOT want to replace it, unless I lose it or it falls apart. I clean it after every shot on the course to keep the grooves as clean as possible.

When the grooves or the sole start wearing down. Bunkers can do a number on a sand wedge over time.

Back