Practicing with Mats

ChetSteadman

Reaction score
Handicap
My home course doesn't have the biggest driving range in the world, and therefore restricts golfers to mats Monday-Thursday to allow the Bermuda some time to recover during the week. I have never been a huge fan of mats, but these are at least the decent kind with a little bit of grain. I haven't yet seen any impact in my ball striking on course, but am concerned that at some point I will develop a bad habit due to not getting much play on real turf. Am I completely out of my mind or has anyone experienced this?

Give 'em hell!

hate mats ,,but sometimes no choice

I severely injured my wrist because of a mat. I can't go near them anymore.

I am not a fan of mats at all. Which kind of sucks since both of the driving ranges around me that had grass to hit off of closed this year. The only one left around me is a Kokomos and it is an indoor range that is about 120 yards total off of mats that are at least 10 years old and beat to all get out.

I have no choice and imo they are fine to practice on. I can still get feedback and know when I'm fat

Refuse to hit off mats unless absolutely forced. I see it as practice like I play. I don't play on mats so why practice on them.

I've never hit a golf shot on a course that felt anything like hitting off a mat.

I hate mats. I'll hit off them if I have to, but I hate them. For me, the biggest issue is that a lot mats seem to let me get away with hitting it just slightly fat. Not several inches or anything like that (hitting it really fat on mats raises a whole different issue), but it seems to me that if I hit it just barely fat, most mats have a slight skipping effect, which makes it seem like the shot is actually hit flush. Then I get off the mats and the grass most certainly does not have that effect.

Back