Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
47 yesterday. 49 today. Both nine holes had a 9 in them on par 5's. Rest of the holes were a mix of a birdie, two pars, and mostly bogey's along with a couple doubles. Getting there, but those blow up holes are killing me.

Semi rough outing at Tour 18 this morning. Ended up with a crick in my neck/shoulder after warming up on the driving range and was uncomfortable all day. Don't know if that affected the round, can't use it as an excuse. Shot 56 on the front and 62 on the back. The 56 surprised me a little but I had some decent holes there. Too many penalties! On the back 9 was really driving poorly off the tee box so my buddy suggested the 3/4 swing treatment. Wow - I outdrove him with my 3w and he was hitting driver. I need to do more of that. Maybe it's "old man golf" but I hit it so solidly. I think in all that windup business I'm throwing myself off.

That said, I feel kinda stuck. If I play enough I can get to 115s but I want to break 100! I just feel stuck. Am thinking about lessons...

So frustrating. I shot a 116 on a pretty tough course. I'm pissed. I keep second guessing my grip, my aim is way off and I keep picking my head up....

That said, I feel kinda stuck. If I play enough I can get to 115s but I want to break 100! I just feel stuck. Am thinking about lessons...
The trick is really just figuring out where you're losing strokes and work on that.

I track these stats on a scorecard every round:

- Score
- Fairway in regulation (FIR)
- Green in regulation (GIR)
- Shots inside 100 yds (SIH)
- Putts
- Penalties

Here's my most recent round, shot right at 100 thanks to a bad front 9. If you look at the numbers you can see I just flat out struggled to get the ball on the green. My drivers and irons were both not working for me. On the back 9 I basically started making better recovery shots and advancing the ball better.

Here's what a scorecard looks like for me getting just under 100. You can see I still have penalties that are hurting me, but look at the back 9. I was on fire either hitting greens and two-putting or getting up-and-down. That was by far a personal best 9 for me.

Early morning round. 9 holes. 53. Two triple and one quadruple, but finished par-bogey-par. More of that please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trick is really just figuring out where you're losing strokes and work on that.

I track these stats on a scorecard every round:

- Score
- Fairway in regulation (FIR)
- Green in regulation (GIR)
- Shots inside 100 yds (SIH)
- Putts
- Penalties

(snip)

this is really really helpful. I need that SIH line big time. Had several times where it took three fluffed chips to get it on the green. I suspect me and Mr. Pelz need to spend more time together. thanks for great idea.

this is really really helpful. I need that SIH line big time. Had several times where it took three fluffed chips to get it on the green. I suspect me and Mr. Pelz need to spend more time together. thanks for great idea.
That's the one that has helped me a bunch too. I can see if my score is because I couldn't chip onto the green or because it took me a bunch of shots to get there.

I have broken 100 twice out of my last three rounds. I hope I can break 90 by the end of this year.

I have broken 100 twice out of my last three rounds. I hope I can break 90 by the end of this year.

Congrats!

Shots 50 on 9 holes. 2 blowup holes, one penalty stroke, a par and a birdie.

Sent from iPhone+Tapatalk

Broke 100 today for the first time ever by shooting a 97. I've mentioned in other threads that I recently got back into golf after a 10+ year hiatus, and my scores have been steadily improving with my new equipment, time at the range, and general studying. The best part is that the 97 was despite one terrible par 4 hole where I had a 10, which means that I could have made a legitimate run at breaking 90 had things bounced a bit differently. Getting better...baby steps!

Congrats!

Broke 100 today for the first time ever by shooting a 97. I've mentioned in other threads that I recently got back into golf after a 10+ year hiatus, and my scores have been steadily improving with my new equipment, time at the range, and general studying. The best part is that the 97 was despite one terrible par 4 hole where I had a 10, which means that I could have made a legitimate run at breaking 90 had things bounced a bit differently. Getting better...baby steps!

Congratulations!

Apparently I left it all at Legacy and forgot to bring some back. Last two rounds were 100 and 104. Too many penalties, missed greens, and 3-putts. Blech.

Shot a 50 yesterday morning. Didn't feel like I played that badly, had a par, and a couple birdie looks, but 3 lost balls add up quickly.

Congratulations

Broke 100 for the 3rd time and tied my PR 97. Made 5 pars, hit only 6 fairways, 2-putted 14 holes. Very happy with my ball-striking and slowly getting more consistent. Made some mental errors on a couple holes and could have saved plenty of strokes, but happy with things after starting this silly hobby 13 months ago lol.

Broke 100 for the 3rd time and tied my PR 97. Made 5 pars, hit only 6 fairways, 2-putted 14 holes. Very happy with my ball-striking and slowly getting more consistent. Made some mental errors on a couple holes and could have saved plenty of strokes, but happy with things after starting this silly hobby 13 months ago lol.
Nice job boys!! Here's to continued improvement!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Broke 110 today (108). :D

Last edited:
Hit a 96 on the red course at Bethpage. Had some bad drives and a few three-putts.

Big confidence booster, shot a 97 from 6500 yards yesterday. Now I've done it from every tee box I'm ever likely to play.

It didn't hurt that I only missed one fairway.

Big confidence booster, shot a 97 from 6500 yards yesterday. Now I've done it from every tee box I'm ever likely to play.

It didn't hurt that I only missed one fairway.

Great job Dave! I know how difficult it is at 6500 for us short hitters. Other than for league I have moved up to our 5889's and shot 88 this morning. Really enjoying the game more at this distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back