Lead foot spinning out

Sanzabar

Oh So Colt!
Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie,
This could be something silly, but I have noticed it happening more and more of late. It is mainly with just my driver, but it looks and feels awkward. I tore my Achilles a handful of years ago, so it could be a natural instinct due to being scared to really get on that left foot, but who knows.

I have noticed that my driver has been bad the past few rounds as well. This comes with noticing the lead foot is spinning out and ends up pointing straight out or even left of straight forward. Which in the end seems to make me fall off of the shot or lose my balance.

What causes the lead foot to spin out??

Freddie,
This could be something silly, but I have noticed it happening more and more of late. It is mainly with just my driver, but it looks and feels awkward. I tore my Achilles a handful of years ago, so it could be a natural instinct due to being scared to really get on that left foot, but who knows.

I have noticed that my driver has been bad the past few rounds as well. This comes with noticing the lead foot is spinning out and ends up pointing straight out or even left of straight forward. Which in the end seems to make me fall off of the shot or lose my balance.

What causes the lead foot to spin out??

My first instinct is to say, you are swinging too hard. Combine this with improper weight distribution throughout the swing.

Are both feet pointed down the fairway after a drive? Are you coming up into your rear toe? Are both feet flat on the ground after you swing through?

My first instinct is to say, you are swinging too hard. Combine this with improper weight distribution throughout the swing.

Are both feet pointed down the fairway after a drive? Are you coming up into your rear toe? Are both feet flat on the ground after you swing through?

That is what I am starting to think as well. Perhaps I am going at it a little too hard.

Generally the lead foot is the one that I pointed down the fairway. The back foot with not quite be toward the fairway. I feel like I am falling off of the shot a little, so both feet are not flat on the ground. It is like the weight is on the heels of my feet.

Just a comment- when I was having the same problem, my instructor advised me to set up with my lead foot open to the target line. Fixed the problem immediately.

Focused on slowing down just a touch and I flared the front foot out.

Night and day difference. Balance was better, ball was straighter.

Maybe add more lead. It could be your foot doesn't weigh enough. All kidding aside...I'm not kidding. After three left knee operations, I have developed a poor habit of (sometimes) turning off my post foot. It isn't an intentional move; but it results in my front foot being less firmly planted (i.e. weighing less) than is desirable. My upper body gets to the finish line on it's own...rather than being influenced there by my lower half. To counteract this unfortunate tendency (and to over-ride my defective golf-brain) I "stand" on my lead foot to initiate the thru-swing. When my lead foot "weighs more" it doesn't spin out.

I do the same thing and I always thought it was lack of flexibility.

With regards to iron play, I finally discovered that getting my lead foot turned at an angle and slightly rolled over at impact (pressure on ankle) has done wonders for my game. Allows you to keep your spine angle correct, and your rear end/hip in the right place through impact. I used to always have to memorize keeping my backside against an imaginary wall, but if you get your feet right, it seems to happen on it's own. That being said my ankle hurts a little after range work. Lol

Back