What new hybrid to get?

aimson

Reaction score
Handicap
I currently game the X Hot 19* Hybrid and I really like it, however I used to suffer from a bad slice which I have no been able to cure, so I think the offset on those hybrids have started to make me pull the balls right instead (I am a LH player), so now I am looking for something new that is easy to launch and if possible, similar in characteristics, but without the offset. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The X2Hot is a bit more "traditional" in terms of offset - but it may be that you were just setting up closed with the XHot to guard against the slice - check your alignment/face angle. Offset is more for launch than it is for correcting a slice - do you have the same problems with your irons?

I have a hard time hitting hybrids, but found the Adams tight lies to be very easy to hit, and very consistent as well.

The X2Hot is a bit more "traditional" in terms of offset - but it may be that you were just setting up closed with the XHot to guard against the slice - check your alignment/face angle. Offset is more for launch than it is for correcting a slice - do you have the same problems with your irons?

Thanks for the answer! I am pretty sure I do not set up closed with the XHots, I used to hit them straight (most of the time) when I had a slice problem. Now when I dont have a slice problem, I hit those right, but the other clubs straight (again, most of the time). The irons only go right when I hit them fat, if I hit them correctly, they are ok, at least most of the time, however I very rarely use anything below 9, a very occasional 8 too, but the majority of my shots with the G25's are PW to Lob wedge and those in between because. I think when I do hit the 6 and 7 iron, they have a tendency to go a bit right too.

I have a hard time hitting hybrids, but found the Adams tight lies to be very easy to hit, and very consistent as well.

Thanks for the answer! I was looking at this too, I will try to test it and see how it feels. The important thing is that it is easy to hit from the ground! Is this one adjustable? I was thinking of dropping 1 hybrid (I use 3 and 5 Xhot now) and just use one, preferably an adjustable, to try to find a good distance to build on from my 6 iron.

Thanks for the answer! I am pretty sure I do not set up closed with the XHots, I used to hit them straight (most of the time) when I had a slice problem. Now when I dont have a slice problem, I hit those right, but the other clubs straight (again, most of the time). The irons only go right when I hit them fat, if I hit them correctly, they are ok, at least most of the time, however I very rarely use anything below 9, a very occasional 8 too, but the majority of my shots with the G25's are PW to Lob wedge and those in between because. I think when I do hit the 6 and 7 iron, they have a tendency to go a bit right too.

Thanks for the answer! I was looking at this too, I will try to test it and see how it feels. The important thing is that it is easy to hit from the ground! Is this one adjustable? I was thinking of dropping 1 hybrid (I use 3 and 5 Xhot now) and just use one, preferably an adjustable, to try to find a good distance to build on from my 6 iron.

No, they are not adjustable. I have the 5, which I love and am contemplating on picking up the 3 or 4. Which I may go 3 and just choke down if I need it to go a little shorter.

I just picked up a Cobra Baffler XL 5h and love it. Price was crazy low and it looks brand new.

I have always like Adams hybrids. The titanium tend to go a bit longer than anticipated so just try it outside if you can first. I am currently gaming a Ping i25 hybrid and it is super consistent.

I had similar issues with offset hybrids but still wanted something really forgiving. Check out the Callaway 815 BB Alpha hybrid. It has a really good weight to it and I haven't hit one hook with it yet. I got the Aldila Tour Green shaft in it. No idea how the stock shaft plays.

i can't say enough good things about the bridgestone j15 hybrids. the 3h (21) and 4h (23) are both available in left hand. i'm not sure if they ship internationally, but if they do the test drive program is a great way to try these for only the cost of shipping, and try with upgraded shafts. i checked online (testdrive.bridgestonegolf.com) and they have two "packages" with left-hand 3h you can choose from.

I just started using a Srixon Z H45 4 hybrid and my first impressions of it are quite positive. I have steered clear of hydrids for a good while because I always had a big hook tendency with them. Even the "pro" models with little offset. Other than I ball I hit dead off the toe which resulted in a pull hook (which would have been the same result with any other club in my bag), I am seeing a nice straight mid-high ball flight with this club. Based on others I have hit I am guessing that it is not the longest hybrid out there, but I am much more concerned with accuracy from this club.

If you want a hybrid with little offset, check out the 588s. They've well balanced and very solid in all performance categories. They're the best hybrid I've personally ever played.

The Callaway XR hybrids are just stupid easy to hit.....high and straight

My recommendations are this:

Hit an Adams, they always make great hybrids.

After that, I would echo the X2 Hots and XRs. Both have little offset and I CRUSH my X2 hots.

I'm becoming a believer. Was bombing (for me) my 4h today on the range -- landing just over the flag lasered at 198 yds. Nice high flight and pretty tight dispersion. Tempo is critical. I get quick and stupid and I can pull these off the range.

Last edited:

I agree. I had the X Hot's and the XR's are better. I have been demoing a couple, but yet to pull the trigger, but more than likely they will end up in the bag.

Wow, alot of great information here, thanks all for your input! I will go try as many as possibl of the suggested clubs on tuesday. I hope they have a good selection, it is often hard to demo left handed clubs with stiff shaft because there is simply nothing in stock in swedish stores, but lets keep fingers crossed!

I still play an older Cobra 3 hybrid. Baffler I believe. It's beat up and ugly but it helps me out at times.

Back