In choosing between 2 identical wedges, do you prefer a beryllium copper version?

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a Cleveland diadic 53° wedge.
It is great. The feel, sound, everything.
About 3 weeks ago I saw the same wedge in Play It Again Sports, but it was Beryllium Copper.
The club needed a new grip and was marked down to $4.

I had to get it.

After all the hype bout the BeCu Ping Eye 2 irons years ago, I expected it to be a great club.

It feels a lot harder than my regular one. The ball doesn't nt go as high, or spin and stop as easy.
It make a Wilson Duo ball feel like a Top Flite walnut.

Does anybody feel the same about the BeCu clubs?

I think maybe the slight rust on my old wedge is giving me more traction for spin.

No one prefers a BeCu wedge over another?

I used to, but for aesthetics really. I thought they looked cool new but even better with a nice patina over time.

I played the original 588 wedges for years and years, BeCu, chrome, but my favorite by far was the RTG.

I still have probably 8 of them in various lofts.

I have an old Tommy Armour BeCu 58 degree wedge. It looks fantastic in the bag and is one club that looks better with time, wear and age. That alone is worth bagging it.

Can't say the performance is any better or worse for it. Mine is incredibly head heavy which is what I want for getting out of traps. I think loft, keeping the grooves clean and dry, and groove condition probably play a bit more into spin than the head material. Some argue that the grooves on softer metals like BeCu don't hold up as well and therefore aren't as effective over time. Mine look just fine and I honestly think most forged wedges don't hold up nearly as well.

Back