Pennsauken Country Club, Pennsauken, NJ Review

NewGlfr

Reaction score
Handicap
Played there about a week ago and had an amazing time. Played with a good friend and kept score for the first time for real.

The course itself was known as Iron Hill many moons ago, and was in disrepair for awhile until the township took it over, and it is now doing extremely well. A solid membership with municipal funds to keep the grounds nice and the course in good shape.

The course itself was a middle of the road for a newbie like me. The hardest hole is a downhill 210 yard Par 3, with a very tight line to the hole and not much wiggle room for hooks or slices. Lots of tree lined fairways, and woods here and there, but the fairways were very well maintained and wide enough that a mishit isn't a catastrophe. I didn't feel completely overwhelmed with the layout but on a couple of the holes.

The tee boxes were well kept, but a couple of them were weird as you weren't quite standing on even ground. Even if you moved your tee around behind the markers, it was hard to find a nice flat surface where your feet weren't on a different plane from each. The friend I was playing with, who is an amazing golfer, noticed it as well.

The fairways were well maintained as were the greens, but holy smokes were the greens slow. All of them were molasses. We were paired with a member who played there 3 times a week and even he said they were not normally this slow.

The round itself was a little slow although we did finish up in 4 hours. Somehow we were behind a slow group on both the front and back nine, and the back took us way longer than the front. The group in front was told multiple times to speed up, but alas, they did not. We probably could have shaved an hour off of our time between the front and back nine. The weather was amazing that day, as was the company, so we didn't mind too much.

The price was very reasonable and I would definitely play there again. The person we were paired up with was a lot of fun, and I hope to bump into him again when I return. All in all a really great course for me to learn to up my game and a super fun round.

Back