The Milk Man

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+0.6 GHIN
The US Am started today with two days of stroke play from Bel Air CC and Riviera CC. The top 64 advance to match play starting Wednesday; all match play rounds are played at Riviera CC. Live coverage starts Wednesday: streaming at usga.org and TV on FS1. Weekend coverage moves to Fox I believe. This also marks the first year the entire Walker Cup team will be picked after the US Am

This is probably my favorite tournament of the year. It gives us a chance to see future stars before they make it to the tour. 3 players are tied at the top after day 1 at -6, Norman Xiong, Hayden Wood, and Mark Lawerence Jr. Norman Xiong is continuing his strong play from the past few weeks. Which saw him win the Western Am. Other players to watch IMO would be Cameron Champ, Scottie Scheffler, Will Zalatoris, Braden Thornberry, and Maverick McNeely. Should be a really good watch and exciting tourney. It will be interesting to see how different/same these guys play Riv. Compared to the tour guys when they are in town.

I've become a big fan of USGA events in the past year. I worked the Women's Open and watched the Boys' and Girls' Am as well as the Women's Am this past week. I'm rooting for Stewart Hagestad since he's another tall, skinny guy. Looking forward to the Walker Cup later this year too.

I've got my DVR set for when it hits the matchplay portion. Love watching the USGA matchplay events. The MidAm last year was absolutely crazy.

Looks like Will will be in without having to go through a playoff. Put up a 69 after a little bit of a rough 9 yesterday.

Pulling for a local guy Gavin Hall. Looks like he's tied for 37th right now so thinking he should have a decent shot at making the match play.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Pulling for a local guy Gavin Hall. Looks like he's tied for 37th right now so thinking he should have a decent shot at making the match play.

Good playing by him looking at the scores he should be safe to advance.

He is 100% in

Good playing by him looking at the scores he should be safe to advance.
He is 100% in
He's a great kid. Played out of Oak Hill growing up. Originally went to UCLA but transferred to Texas. Word on the street is he's going to turn pro after the AM. And work on getting his Web.com card.

He's a great kid. Played out of Oak Hill growing up. Originally went to UCLA but transferred to Texas. Word on the street is he's going to turn pro after the AM. And work on getting his Web.com card.

You ever get the chance to play with him?

You ever get the chance to play with him?
Nope. Wish I could have. He didn't spend much time in Rochester from what I know. Constantly traveling all summer for elite AM tournies and invites. I also heard he recently moved down to Florida to live with Dominic Buzzelli another local kid around his same age. Last I checked I think Hall was ranked 37th in the world for AMs I could be wrong on that number tho.

Can't you enter Q school as an Am and only declare yourself if you qualify compared to entering a pro event as an am but you have to decide before the event?

Can't you enter Q school as an Am and only declare yourself if you qualify compared to entering a pro event as an am but you have to decide before the event?
That I'm not sure of. No clue how that kinda stuff works. I'm just hearing this stuff from a guy at my club who was talking with him last week at the NYS Am. Apparently his plan was to finish well enough at the Am to secure a spot on the Walker Cup team and then go pro from there.

That makes sense then.

On a minor side track in my fantasy world if I qualified for The US Open I would make sure to bet money on me making cut, top 10 and winning so I don't go on suicide watch after giving up a 2 million check.

Looks like Gavin is AS going into 18 after a birdie from his opponent on 17.

Looks like Gavin is AS going into 18 after a birdie from his opponent on 17.

looks like he lost in 1 up in 19 holes

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

looks like he lost in 1 up in 19 holes

Bummer. Wishing the best for him. Being 37th in the world think he's got a shot at the Walker Cup team?

Barbaree well on his way to channeling the Andrew Loupe pre-shot routine. Thornberry on the other hand makes it hard on the tv guys. He was half way through the downswing before they can cut to him when he has been on tv before.

How in the world does Niemann not pull the pin on the green. Caddie fail as well.

Bummer. Wishing the best for him. Being 37th in the world think he's got a shot at the Walker Cup team?

I don't think so, he isn't one of the names I have heard. Most of the guys who follow it figure there are 5 to 6 locks. Which leaves 4 open spots. My guess is he would have needed to finish quarters or higher. All that being said Cam Champ, Stewart Hagasted, and Scottie Scheffler most people had as locks and all missed the cut. Maybe that opens some spots.

Mav McNealy with the early exit today, with Neimann and Thornberry playing each other. Only one of the top 3 ams in the world with be left after the round of 64

Will just making everything on and off the green.

Barbaree is going to have nightmares tonight after what Zalatoris did to him on the back nine.

Will just making everything on and off the green.

Crazy thing is Zalatoris is believed to be a bad putter. Most people feel like he is a world class ball striker and it is his short game that holds him back.

Kid who set 36 hole scoring record out, Thornberry out, Zalatoris through to round of 16.

That makes sense then.

On a minor side track in my fantasy world if I qualified for The US Open I would make sure to bet money on me making cut, top 10 and winning so I don't go on suicide watch after giving up a 2 million check.

I would totally do the same. Million to one odds you say? Ok great, here's 5 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back