THP Callout: IndySC vs. markm778

IndySC

'16 #TheGrandaddy
Reaction score
Handicap
Unknown
Markm778 is heading over to Indianapolis on Saturday to play a little golf and we decided to spice things up a little bit and get him some #TheGrandaddy practice.

Players:
IndySC (8.4) vs. markm778 (17)

When:
Saturday, August 19th @10:30am

Where:
Kampen Golf course (Pete Dye design) in West Lafayette, IN
http://www.purduegolf.com/kampen-course.html

Format
:
Match Play - I'll be giving 9 strokes

Stake:
Post round beverage of choice.

Tale of the Tape:

• This will be my 2nd time playing Kampen, first time was about 5 years ago and I had a solid buzz throughout the round. Safe to say we are both essentially playing this course for the first time.
  • Mark is one of the lucky few heading to this year's Grandaddy after snagging the coveted golden ticket, while I am still coming down from the high of last year's incredible victory.
  • I don't know much about Mark's game, but I know his handicap has been plummeting recently, which gives me a little pause for handing him 9 strokes.
  • I have been shooting consistently high 30s, low 40s throughout league play 9 hole rounds all year and feel fantastic with my short game. League course is a lot easier than Kampen will be, however.
  • Will be playing from the White tees: 6641 Yards, 71.6/135, Par 72

So THP, who ya got?

markm778 - WITB

In My 2016 Masters Azalea Limited Edition Stand Bag:
Driver: Bridgestone JGR 9.5° Tour Green Shaft
Fairway Woods: Bridgestone JGR 3/5/7W
Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics EX9 #4
Irons: Bridgestone JGR Hybrid Forged Irons 7-AW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* and MD 58*
Putter: Odyssey White Hot RX #2

IndySC - WITB

In my 2016 #TheGrandaddy Hyperlite 5 Golf Bag:
Driver - :callaway: GBB EPIC-:Aldila: Rogue Max 65 Stiff
3W - :callaway: XR16 15*- :Aldila: Rogue Max 65 Stiff
Hybrids - :callaway: Apex 3h and 4h- :MitsubishiRayon: Kuro Kage 80 Stiff
Irons - :callaway: Apex CF16 5-PW- :projectx: LZ 6.0
Wedges - :callaway: MD3 S Grind Chrome 52* 55* 58*-:projectx: LZ 6.0
Putter - Toulon San Diego

Good stuff, should be a fun match and really good prep for Mark. Mark has been playing really well lately, but obviously I have to go with my Team Unity teammate, and "The Closer" who secured the final point at the Grandaddy, IndySC. We'll say a 1 up win and keep the fans on their feet.

Good stuff, should be a fun match and really good prep for Mark. Mark has been playing really well lately, but obviously I have to go with my Team Unity teammate, and "The Closer" who secured the final point at the Grandaddy, IndySC. We'll say a 1 up win and keep the fans on their feet.

Wouldn't be fun if it didn't come down to 18. Nice tap win for you!

Whoa, Whoa here - No one told me that IndySC nickname was "The Closer"!!! #IHaveBeenDuped
Going to be fun, To be honest, I have really played with anyone that was 9 strokes better than me in quite some time.
It will more of a mental challenge not to get discourage as I get Out Driven and an opponent hitting GIR with regularity.

Gotta just play your game. Swing your swing!

Whoa, Whoa here - No one told me that IndySC nickname was "The Closer"!!! #IHaveBeenDuped
Going to be fun, To be honest, I have really played with anyone that was 9 strokes better than me in quite some time.
It will more of a mental challenge not to get discourage as I get Out Driven and an opponent hitting GIR with regularity.

No, no, no. That's where the short game comes into play haha. I miss way too many greens. I'll try to do my best DNevs and stick every approach shot to 5ft.

I'm not sure he has trademarked the nickname, but anyone that is as cool as he was in his post-round interview with Amanda is no one to be trifled with.

He might be 50 yards past you off the tee, but feel free to remind him that you are there laying 0 on 9 holes. :act-up: Like you said, just play your game. Its good prep to feel some pressure in match play and work on live updating (which is honestly the single most important thing at The Grandaddy in my opinion, well second most to having the time of your life).

I'm not sure he has trademarked the nickname, but anyone that is as cool as he was in his post-round interview with Amanda is no one to be trifled with.

He might be 50 yards past you off the tee, but feel free to remind him that you are there laying 0 on 9 holes. :act-up: Like you said, just play your game. Its good prep to feel some pressure in match play and work on live updating (which is honestly the single most important thing at The Grandaddy in my opinion, well second most to having the time of your life).

I wish those videos still existed.

Oh, wow. I am torn by this one. I haven't had a chance to play with MarkM as he's been improving over the course of this season, and when I teed it up with Indy, in Pittsburgh, he played well... I'm going to say Indy wins. MarkM, hang-on through the first 5 holes, then really take advantage of your pops - looks like 3 pops happening in final 4 holes of front 9, and 5 pops happening in final 8 holes. Should, indeed, be a solid Grandaddy prep for MarkM.

Indy with all of the GD gear gets it done.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Oh, wow. I am torn by this one. I haven't had a chance to play with MarkM as he's been improving over the course of this season, and when I teed it up with Indy, in Pittsburgh, he played well... I'm going to say Indy wins. MarkM, hang-on through the first 5 holes, then really take advantage of your pops - looks like 3 pops happening in final 4 holes of front 9, and 5 pops happening in final 8 holes. Should, indeed, be a solid Grandaddy prep for MarkM.

I hadn't looked at where the pops were falling. If I can survive the front 9, I might have a shot. When you write it out, it looks like a much larger task haha.

9 strokes?!?! I'll still take Indy.

That's what I was thinking... Only one pop on the first 5 holes. You'll be looking to build a lead, and Mark will be looking to nip one or two of those from you. Should be fun.

That's what I was thinking... Only one pop on the first 5 holes. You'll be looking to build a lead, and Mark will be looking to nip one or two of those from you. Should be fun.

No question I need to come out hot. I can already feel the first tee shot bleeding right from overswinging.

No question I need to come out hot. I can already feel the first tee shot bleeding right from overswinging.

Don't do that!!! I picked you. Lol

Indy with all of the GD gear gets it done.

Anymore predictions my way and Mark is going to come out and throw down a 76 on me.

Happy to see the game coming around for you. Im jealous of those FIR and GIR %s.

Thanks dude. Grip pressure is huge. Now don't slice it on the first hole.

Anymore predictions my way and Mark is going to come out and throw down a 76 on me.
And you'll be happy to be there to witness it

All you'll be fine from the other fairway. Don't let that get in your head one bit.:D

I'll buck the trend and take Mark in this one, sorry Indy...with the work he's been putting into his game lately and the amount of pops he's getting it's gonna make it interesting. Just keep the ball in front of you and like you said, play your game. It's gonna come down to the wire though and I think it's decided on #18. See you guys Friday!!!

All you'll be fine from the other fairway. Don't let that get in your head one bit.:D

In most cases, yes. Kampen has a whole bunch of heather just waiting for me. Never fear, I've got the Epic dialed in pretty well right now.

I'll buck the trend and take Mark in this one, sorry Indy...with the work he's been putting into his game lately and the amount of pops he's getting it's gonna make it interesting. Just keep the ball in front of you and like you said, play your game. It's gonna come down to the wire though and I think it's decided on #18. See you guys Friday!!!

Well, some of us will be getting free range balls pre-round. You should bring some cash :alien2:

Well, some of us will be getting free range balls pre-round. You should bring some cash :alien2:

LOL!!! We don't need no stinking range balls! Point me to the practice green...:D

9 Strokes is a lot to give up to someone playing well. I'll go with with markm778 to win 2 & 1

Back