How Many Wedge Brands Do You Try?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
While I was at the range today, I happened to have 6 different wedge brands with me (all 56*) and was astonished at how many people were telling me they never even try other models other than what they are used to. So my question is, how many wedge brands and lines do you try before finding your wedges?

While I was at the range today, I happened to have 6 different wedge brands with me (all 56*) and was astonished at how many people were telling me they never even try other models other than what they are used to. So my question is, how many wedge brands and lines do you try before finding your wedges?

Just one before buying my PM grind, Cleveland.

Before settling on my Pings I gamed Cleveland, callaway and Hopkins

3 or 4. whatever is in the hitting bay for the most part.

I'd try any wedge anymore. I currently have Titleist, Cleveland, Callaway, Wilson Staff, Bridgestone, and Mizuno in the house.

None really. I found a brand and a grind I like and I'm sticking with it.

3 to 4 id say. Unless im somewhere outdoors and theres more to try

3 or 4 different brands. Callaway first, then Cleveland, then Hopkins, then Bridgestone (typically the last 2 are impossible to "try" before you buy).

1. There was only one brand that I had the option of testing outdoors. There may be better wedges for me but I don't have an easy way of testing that.

I game Callaway Wedges but want to try Brodgestone and Cleveland offerings.

I have gamed Ping, Cleveland, Titleist, TM, Wilson, Callaway, MacGregor, Mizuno, and probably a couple more that I'm forgetting. Currently in the bag are a 54 and 60 Wilson Staff FG Traction Control. Next on my buy list are the new Callaways.

Based on what's on the current market I can rule out a few just based on looks and materials. If I were buying wedges soon I'd be looking at Cleveland, Mizuno, And Bridgestone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2.....Callaway & Cleveland.

Prior to this year, i had played only Cleveland, as the two I had fit more by friends in the van, just were perfect. But with the grooves wearing out after 8 years, I had to start looking around.

This year I have played
Wilson Staff FG Tour
PING Glide
Cleveland RTX 2.0

In addition I also tried
MD3 PM Grind (only hit a few with NebGolfers)

I've played Cleveland, SCOR, Hopkins, TaylorMade, and Callaway. So far Callaway is above the rest.

how do the rest of you try a wedge? I don't know of any options around Orlando to test different wedges against each other outdoors with shots that you'll actually face in a round. as important as wedges are, I'm shocked at the lack of real testing and fitting options for consumers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lately several brands 3-4. Before that only two (Cleveland and Vokey's)

1. There was only one brand that I had the option of testing outdoors. There may be better wedges for me but I don't have an easy way of testing that.

It's tough finding wedges to try here. I rely on the forum and trust the reviewers

If we are talking blade wedges, I usually try none. I have never been able to tell a difference in a sim between wedges.

I'm also not smart enough to tell you the difference most blade wedges.

I tried every brand/grind my local proshop had to demo over a week or two. Was 5 or 6 brands with several grinds of each. About a week in I had confirmed that my swing dictated high bounce and had narrowed it down to Cleveland or Titlelist. Ended up with a set of sm5 in 50*, 54*, 68*.

I tried Taylor Made and Caalaways before I switched to Vokeys.

I normally try Titleist, Cleveland, Callaway, and Ping. More than that I get very confused. Usually hit a demo day on the range in the spring so it is easy to go from one to the next.

I tried the Callaway MD3 and a couple different versions of new Vokey's before I added the MD PM Grind wedges.

Just 2. Cleveland and Mizuno. Played Mizuno for the longest time when Cleveland was not putting out forged wedges. Finally got over the mandatory forged thing when I tried the RTX 2.0.

It's tough finding wedges to try here. I rely on the forum and trust the reviewers

Yeah I have only found one place where I can try a wedge in an actual bunker and not on a sim. I'm sure there are some very good wedges I never give a chance just because I have no way to test them.

Not just wedges though I don't know of too many places where you can test other clubs outdoors outside of the occasional demo day

Back