Best ball as a team format

Too many ties on string of holes with 2-player best balls. We like to play the battle golf version of it. It gets interesting after a few win/lost on each sides.

A lot of ties for sure. That is why it works better in stroke play then advance to more stroke play then match play like USGA 4 ball.

Haven't played battle. Cliffs?

I'm a huge fan of best ball. It's the closest thing to real golf in a team format. It requires both players to be in the hole if they are going to win. The other formats I feel one person can lean on another.

Alternate shot. That's the shizz.

Best ball can and will hide the weaker player. But like stated, handicap can be a big equalizer with it. In my member/member, the team that won, 2 of the 18 holes in the best ball format were scored by 1 player. The other guy accounted for the other 16 holes.

Alternate shot. That's the shizz.

Best ball can and will hide the weaker player. But like stated, handicap can be a big equalizer with it. In my member/member, the team that won, 2 of the 18 holes in the best ball format were scored by 1 player. The other guy accounted for the other 16 holes.

It is pretty rare that is played over in the US on public courses. It makes you feel like you are paying for a round you only play half of.

I am a huge fan of hi-lo. I get to keep my own score, might even contribute on occasion, and brings in strategy of trying to meet/beat the score of the guy whose score you will probably match up on. As ntanygd760 alluded to, one thing I dislike about the scrambles, best balls, etc is I am not playing my ball, tracking my score...which is kind of the opposite of a team format...

In another thread, JB mentioned that he felt the two man best ball is the "least" team-like of the team formats. What do you think about best ball for teams? What would you prefer to see instead in an event like the Ryder or Solheim Cups?

I would imagine if we're talking pro golf, these guys/gals play stroke competitions every week. I'm sure it has to be a welcomed break to play something different and take some pressure off. If we're talking amateurs, I like it specifically in pro-ams because typically you're playing a big time course in pristine conditions. Personally once it's all said and done, I want to know I what I shot with my ball that day. Not just what me and 3 other random guys shot together.

But at the same time, I do love the alternate shot format. That's fun stuff.

I think there's tons of strategy in this format.

Does the better/more confident player tee off first to hit a fairway? Does the shorter hitter tee off first to 'green light' his partner? Does the low cap play for pars while the high cap attempts to net birdie every hole? You can most certainly hide a player in best ball hole to hole, but the ham and egg usually prevails. I don't think every shot has to be relevant for it to be a great format (see, shamble, modified pinehurst), but I do think it takes a good pairing to make it work to their advantage against opponents.

As the person in this format who is usually relied on for consistency, I quite like the pressure and the confidence it creates.

Back