Best ball as a team format

captaincaution

@alekbabel -2022 Grandaddy!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
In another thread, JB mentioned that he felt the two man best ball is the "least" team-like of the team formats.

I would have to agree with him a bit here. In this format, you can have one partner totally crap the bed on a hole, and have little impact on the team's standing.

To take it a step further, in match play, both players could play phenomenal holes, only to have it erased by one member of the other team, and of course the opposite holds too. Both players can play a bad hole, but get bailed out since it only counts for the one hole.

In stroke play, I would argue more pressure there, since you can't just move on to the next hole.

What do you think about best ball for teams? What would you prefer to see instead in an event like the Ryder or Solheim Cups?

Not as "teamly" as some of the other formats.

Handicap it and then its pretty "teamly".

Sometimes I enjoy just straight up golf, and some formats to me are too gimmicky and still could "hide" the worst golfer of the 2.

Is it team at all? It's just playing your own ball and when you **** Up hoping your partner doesn't on the same hole, right?

I always viewed it as a mildly selfish team format. That sounds negative but it's not meant that way.

Is it team at all? It's just playing your own ball and when you **** Up hoping your partner doesn't on the same hole, right?

I always viewed it as a mildly selfish team format. That sounds negative but it's not meant that way.

I think it is, played in the member/member with Canadan a few weeks back in which 1 of the formats was best ball and just like some other formats when a guy hits a bad shot there is pressure on you to pick him up by hitting a shot on your own. I thinking too many times hitting someone elses ball is seen as "teamly".

BUT I also agree out of the commonly used formats it is "least team like" more along the lines of there is less strategy, etc involved

I agree and I dont think this a very "team" oriented game. I think something like Shamble is perfect for team play

Not a big fan, especially if there a big talent disparity amongst the teammates. When my score may get used 1 time for 9 holes...not too much team in that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a big fan, especially if there a big talent disparity amongst the teammates. When my score may get used 1 time for 9 holes...not too much team in that.

I agree, but what if its handicapped, does that change things a bit?

Absolutely. Pops completely change it and when someone pops for a birdie (or even worse eagle) it can sting.

I agree it is on you but that goes back to the team pressure. What you do in best ball may be dictated by what your partner does before you. You also have the pressure of not letting anyone down. To me it is no different than playing in an eight man team event but playing your own matches.

Does team golf need to involve you both hitting the same ball?

Of course it makes it more fair, but not more team oriented. It's still means only one player matters at all.

Absolutely. Pops completely change it and when someone pops for a birdie (or even worse eagle) it can sting.

Agree, without the pops I totally agree not much "team" wise going on at all (unless its an event or tourney with similar skilled players

Agree, without the pops I totally agree not much "team" wise going on at all (unless its an event or tourney with similar skilled players

I get JB's point that it still only uses 1 players score. But with pops then strategy can come a bit more into play and the lesser skilled player at least stays more engaged IMO.

It's just playing your own ball and when you **** Up hoping your partner doesn't on the same hole, right?

..this

I agree that it's the least "team-y" format but I think that's also why I enjoy it so much as part of a whole, just like Sunday singles.
In an event that already has Alt. Shot and other very team oriented formats I think at least one format where you golf your own ball is important.

I get JB's point that it still only uses 1 players score. But with pops then strategy can come a bit more into play and the lesser skilled player at least stays more engaged IMO.

Shambles only use 1 score typically too (unless its combined), and is another scenario where if there is a huge gap skill wise between best and worst in a pairing, then the good golfer will be using all his scores typically (again unless its combined)

I agree it is on you but that goes back to the team pressure. What you do in best ball may be dictated by what your partner does before you. You also have the pressure of not letting anyone down. To me it is no different than playing in an eight man team event but playing your own matches.

I agree with the pressure part. Of your teammate goes first and doesn't put his tee ball in play on a hole now there is some added pressure to get your ball in play and have a chance to make a good score. As it was said the strategy might not be much compared to other formats but it's still a team effort.

Very interesting point on eight man teams.

Shambles only use 1 score typically too (unless its combined), and is another scenario where if there is a huge gap skill wise between best and worst in a pairing, then the good golfer will be using all his scores typically (again unless its combined)

shamble combined score is the way to play shamble in my opinion. Helps those that struggle off tee, but holds both players accountable.

I would agree that best ball is not a "true" team format

Also to note the Ryder Cup is touted as the best team event in golf....and 2 of the 3 formats used are best ball oriented.

Granted that is like skilled golfers, but a team event in which 1 score counts nonetheless

Also to note the Ryder Cup is touted as the best team event in golf....and 2 of the 3 formats used are best ball oriented.

Granted that is like skilled golfers, but a team event in which 1 score counts nonetheless

They also do singles...not much team there other than being part of one.

2 man teams are quite a different animal when all skills are included

I say no.

To me, the ideal team event formats are 4ball, alt. Shot, and singles. Gives a taste of everything and doesn't lose any of the team feel IMO.

agreed

Yeah get two guys with vastly different skill levels and you've got a different animal.

ewwwwwwwwwwww best ball net is the worst. I like best ball though and I think it should stay. Still a little strategy off the tee, and hell it can get you in a USGA Championship.

Unless it's combined score or alt shot, every other format is essentially in the same boat anyway. Anytime you're only using one score there isn't much team aspect to it, other than getting multiple chances to get your best score.

Never had the opportunity to play in any team or tournament format events yet, so I am a complete newbie there. But, I believe in being able to play your own ball and contributing to the team to make a difference is the way to go...IMHO.

Back