Leaving or even worse losing things on the course

Most of us have found or left a club greenside. But how about SIX clubs? About ten years ago I found six wedges and irons sitting next to the 3rd green. We tossed the clubs in our cart fully expecting someone to come zooming back to us looking for their clubs. Didn't happen. We asked the group ahead of us if anyone was missing clubs or was asked by the group ahead of them. Nothing.

We finally caught up with the owner on the 8th fairway. The dude hadn't even noticed! How do you not notice you are missing SIX clubs for 4+ holes??? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

The other side of lost is Found.

Found a cell phone today under a pine tree in the rough as I was walking to my drive on 16 at about 5 pm. Screen was wet from sitting face down, but it worked.

Owner had AT&T disable the phone - smart move.

Not so smart move - no security. One screen swipe and I had access to contacts, messages, and Settings. I got the number in Settings, but made a quick pass through Contacts in search of something like Home, Work, etc. That's when I found Mom.

Mom was in New Jersey, but I called and left a voice mail identifying myself, how I knew her child's phone number, and how to retrieve the phone. I turned it in at the Pro Shop and a manager came in as I was walking out. He asked me if he could help me, which prompted him to ask me to describe the phone. He said, " I know exactly whose phone that is. Where'd you find it?"

"On 16."

"Where?"

"In the rough."

"Yeah, but WHERE?"

"In the right rough, under a small pine, as I was walking to my drive."

He laughed. "I'm sorry, but the guy spent most of yesterday looking for it. He left his wife's number to call if anyone found it."

If you do ANYTHING on your phone other than make calls - and even then - please put some kind of security lock on it. Had I not been a good guy, things could have been problematic for the owner.

If no security I always check for naked pics of the wife before turning it in :)

We got stuck out on the course when a fast moving thunderstorm arrived. I had taken my hearing aids out earlier (it was windy and they're no help in the wind) and put them in my bag.

The clubhouse blew the horn and we jumped in the cart to head in. I grabbed the hearing aids from the bag along with my wallet and keys and pocketed them as they had a better chance of staying dry with me in the cart than in the bag.

Turned out that in my haste I dropped the hearing aids on the course. Gone.

A few weeks ago, some guys in front of me were doing the heavy day drinking. One guy accidentally left his Scotty Cameron putter on the green. I drove up to them and gave them his putter back.

Yesterday I left my entire bag on the club cart I was using. Didn't even realize it until i looked in my back seat a few hours later. Needless to say, I nearly had a heart attack.

Luckily they had it set aside for me. I don't even know what I would have done had it been stolen.

Now that's a new one. Leaving clubs home? bad enough ... and funny enough. But at least that person knows he still has them and could laugh about it. But leaving them at the course and forgetting to bring them back home? that's got to be a scary one.

Now that's a new one. Leaving clubs home? bad enough ... and funny enough. But at least that person knows he still has them and could laugh about it. But leaving them at the course and forgetting to bring them back home? that's got to be a scary one.

I have seen it at least once every year that I have worked at a golf course. Even the first two years and this year when I was only part time.

The other side of lost is Found.

Found a cell phone today under a pine tree in the rough as I was walking to my drive on 16 at about 5 pm. Screen was wet from sitting face down, but it worked.

I was lining up an approach shot during a dawn patrol round and heard a phone ringing. It was sitting on the fairway a few feet from my ball. Picked it up, answered and it was the owner calling from his wife's phone.

Wow! I wear a hearing aid. That was sure an expensive round for you. So sorry!

The only thing I really lost was a Colibri V Cut cigar cutter. Cigar smokers know they are not cheap, like $50. I only had it for a couple days when I left it in the cart. I am guilty of leaving my glove in my left rear pocket after a round and stopping at the store, meeting the fiance for dinner etc with it hanging out of my pocket.

A few years ago, two friends and I were playing a course we hadn't played before and I left a wedge on the side of a green. I discovered it was missing after we reached the green on the next hole ... a 500 yard downhill one. I trudged back up the hill to the previous green, only to find it wasn't there ... but the following group wasn't in sight. Turns out we had played the wrong hole and the next group had reached the green, picked up my wedge and gone on to play the right next hole. It was waiting for me in the pro-shop.

I ranger at course which also requires cleaning and putting away carts. Twice now this year someone has pulled up to the cart return, parked, and left without taking their golf bag/clubs with them!

I find phones, glasses, rangefinders very often. Sometimes a person will even leave their wallet behind.

But, we are all guilty - I've lost sunglasses and a rangefinder to the golf course in the past!

has anyone ever left the course forgetting to take the person you came with? Just sayin.

Back