Prime Rib cooking method

TonyB

Reaction score
Handicap
My fiance and I love Prime Rib. My method for cooking is to Pre-heat oven to 500 after the meat has been out of the fridge long enough to get close to room temp. Put a light coat of olive oil on it, then rub it with a combo of Pappy's Prime Rib Rub and La Bailene Coarse Sea Salt.

For cook time multiply the weight times 5 and cook it for that amount of time at 500, 6lb roast for 30 min etc. Turn the oven off, set the timer for 2 hours and DO NOT open the oven door! At 2 hours, you pull it out of the oven and it will be perfect med rare. This method is fool proof as long as you get the meat close to room temp before cooking.

My fiance and I love Prime Rib. My method for cooking is to Pre-heat oven to 500 after the meat has been out of the fridge long enough to get close to room temp. Put a light coat of olive oil on it, then rub it with a combo of Pappy's Prime Rib Rub and La Bailene Coarse Sea Salt.

For cook time multiply the weight times 5 and cook it for that amount of time at 500, 6lb roast for 30 min etc. Turn the oven off, set the timer for 2 hours and DO NOT open the oven door! At 2 hours, you pull it out of the oven and it will be perfect med rare. This method is fool proof as long as you get the meat close to room temp before cooking.

I'm gonna try this soon - thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna try this soon - thx

You won't be disappointed, make sure you multiply the exact weight of the meat times 5 and cook it for that number of minutes.

You won't be disappointed, make sure you multiply the exact weight of the meat times 5 and cook it for that number of minutes.

So simple a cave man can do it!

I'd be interested to see a cross sectional slice of this roast for science.

Gonna have to try this as well. Absolutely love Prime Rib. Appreciate the tip!

First time you use this method, it's a little stressful. You keep wanting to open the oven just to look and thinking no way this works. I may do one on Sunday. I'll post a pic if I do

I've done it this way too. It is pretty easy.

I tried this method a few years back and it did not work. I think the theory works, I think it was an issue with the oven. Either way I would suggest to always keep a meat thermometer in the center to make sure you get that 135*-140* of goodness

I tried this method a few years back and it did not work. I think the theory works, I think it was an issue with the oven. Either way I would suggest to always keep a meat thermometer in the center to make sure you get that 135*-140* of goodness

One thing you need to do is make sure your oven is really at the temperature you want. Our oven always heats up to way higher than it is set for. 25 degrees (or more) too high is a sure way to overcook.

One thing you need to do is make sure your oven is really at the temperature you want. Our oven always heats up to way higher than it is set for. 25 degrees (or more) too high is a sure way to overcook.

I agree, that is way I always use a meat thermometer when cooking large pieces of meat.

Was it under or over cooked? If it was under cooked I would say the meat was still too cold in the middle. If over either oven was too hot, or cooked for too long.

Yep, a little oven thermometer is one of the best investments you can make because the built in thermostats are notoriously inaccurate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I did a couple prime ribs last winter (one for wife's bday dinner party, another at Christmas). Went with slow cook 200 degrees until the temp got up to 120 internal (a couple of hours), then pull it out, tent it, crank the oven to 500 degrees (you can bake some rolls in this time as well. Then back into the oven in a different, clean pan for about 8 minutes. Really does an awesome job of getting the crust nice and sizzling while keeping the inside rare/med. rare... Use a different pan because you will smoke the kitchen out incinerating all the drippings at 500 degrees. And yes you need to have a good oven to get there quick enough...

Was it under or over cooked? If it was under cooked I would say the meat was still too cold in the middle. If over either oven was too hot, or cooked for too long.

It was undercooked, the oven did not retain enough heat.

Thank you for this, I was just thinking about this. I love prime rib but have yet to master the craft of cooking it.

Thank you for this, I was just thinking about this. I love prime rib but have yet to master the craft of cooking it.

you could sous vide it, but it would be difficult to get the crust correct. i have a recipe at home from wine spectator that is actually relatively easy and has always come out really well. bone-in prime rib with red onion gravy, yorkshire pudding and panchetta-roasted brussels sprouts.

Ive used this method on a couple different roasts and once you know your oven it is pretty foolproof. My oven loses a lot of heat so instead of turning it off I just turn it down to its lowest setting which is 170* and it works great!

I did a couple prime ribs last winter (one for wife's bday dinner party, another at Christmas). Went with slow cook 200 degrees until the temp got up to 120 internal (a couple of hours), then pull it out, tent it, crank the oven to 500 degrees (you can bake some rolls in this time as well. Then back into the oven in a different, clean pan for about 8 minutes. Really does an awesome job of getting the crust nice and sizzling while keeping the inside rare/med. rare... Use a different pan because you will smoke the kitchen out incinerating all the drippings at 500 degrees. And yes you need to have a good oven to get there quick enough...

This is how I would cook them. I've done the hot sear first, and low & slow second, and then done the low & slow first, and the hot sear second and the reverse sear is the superior way.
Large chunks of fatty meat like prime rib need time to render fat properly, and firm up a bit... otherwise you're left with gelatinous meat which no one really likes (see the sous vide thread for my complaints about sous vide'ing a prime rib).
For the science, see this article: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/food-lab-guide-to-prime-rib.html

I love to cook prime rib on my Weber rotisserie. I'll go at 300* for 3 hours or until the internal temp is 130 for medium rare. I crank up the IR burner the last 10-15 minutes to get the crust perfect. If you don't have the rotisserie you can use indirect heat.

Here's a good recipe for this:

INGREDIENTS

• 1/2 cup (125 mL) grainy mustard
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh rosemary
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
• 1 tsp (5 mL) coarsely ground pepper
• 1 premium prime rib beef rotisserie roast, 6 lb
• Horseradish Aioli:
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) light mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) light sour cream
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) prepared horseradish
• 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
PREPARATION

In bowl, whisk grainy mustard, rosemary, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, oil and pepper. Transfer half to large bowl; add roast to large bowl, turning to coat. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate roast and remaining mustard mixture separately for up to 12 hours.) Follow manufacturer's instructions for using rotisserie. Or for 3-burner barbecue, remove grill racks. Place drip pan along centre of barbecue. Pour water into pan to depth of 1 inch (2.5 cm). Heat barbecue to medium-high. Turn centre burner off. Clamp end of roast with rotisserie fork. Insert spit through fork and centre of meat. Clamp other end of roast with rotisserie fork. Position on barbecue with roast centred over drip pan. Start rotisserie motor. Close lid and grill over medium heat for 30 minutes. Brush with half of the reserved mustard mixture; grill for 30 minutes. Brush with remaining mustard mixture. Grill until meat thermometer inserted in centre registers 140°F (60°C) for medium-rare or 155°F (68°C) for medium, about 30 minutes. Transfer roast to cutting board; pull out forks and spit. Tent with foil and let stand for 20 minutes before slicing thinly. Horseradish Aioli: Meanwhile, in bowl, stir mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish and Worcestershire sauce. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.) Serve with roast. Additional information : Tip: Top sirloin premium rotisserie roast, inside round rotisserie roast and eye of round oven roast of the same weight are all succulent cooked on the rotisserie following this recipe. Times may vary slightly depending on thickness.

Last edited:
I would caution those temperatures based on my experience. Pulling at 140F for medium rare will probably climb to 155F after a 30min rest (required) so it's more a medium/well done temp at that point.
I pull at 120F and tent and rest for 30mins to get this (notice the greying around the edge from the sear, then low & slow cook):
394318_2681785977107_1053458308_n.jpg

I would caution those temperatures based on my experience. Pulling at 140F for medium rare will probably climb to 155F after a 30min rest (required) so it's more a medium/well done temp at that point.
I pull at 120F and tent and rest for 30mins to get this (notice the greying around the edge from the sear, then low & slow cook):
394318_2681785977107_1053458308_n.jpg

Agreed. 120 is perfect for me, my wife and most of my guests prefer 125-130.

I have never thought of cooking prime rib at home, but I defiantly going to give it a try!

Seriously, try this method. I have done several different way, smoked on a Traeger etc and this always turns out great. Having a oven door that seals properly is important though. I will take it out of the fridge about 2 to 2 1/2 hours prior to cooking and use a instant read thermometer to check the temp of the center before cooking. If it's around 50-60 deg or so that is fine.

Back