PING i Irons: THP Review Thread

Sure thing. I'm about to take wear pic's as soon as the Doc gets home anyways, but I can shoot a couple 5i pic's right now. XRP and VPC ok?

perfect

Here ya go Ddec

5i's, XRP/iE1/VPC:
DSC_0060-XL.jpg

DSC_0061-XL.jpg

XRP/iE1:
DSC_0062-XL.jpg

VPC/iE1:
DSC_0063-XL.jpg

thank you kind sir!

Mentioned it in here earlier but the thread has been moving at a nice click so its easy to miss, off the 8i the XRP put up around 2 to 2.5 MPH more ball speed and they spin less, been about 5 yards longer than these, but those irons are silly long so I never really expected these to encroach on them. But, the iE1's are closer than I anticipated coming in, I expected the same distances I saw out of the i20 and i25's, but they're about 5 yards longer than those.

Sorry I missed it buddy! Wasn't trying to skim.

That is impressive to me. Only being 5 yards behind some of the longest irons on the market is impressive. I look forward to hearing more thoughts

Sorry I missed it buddy! Wasn't trying to skim.

That is impressive to me. Only being 5 yards behind some of the longest irons on the market is impressive. I look forward to hearing more thoughts

Didn't mean it that way Taylor, I was being genuine, its been moving at a nice click so its easy to miss.

Didn't mean it that way Taylor, I was being genuine, its been moving at a nice click so its easy to miss.

I think it's been moving too. I think it's part because of the general interest in the irons, and another part because the guy testing has been playing 36 holes a day for the last 2 weeks with them haha

I think it's been moving too. I think it's part because of the general interest in the irons, and another part because the guy testing has been playing 36 holes a day for the last 2 weeks with them haha
He's killing this review (obviously) and it's rapidly growing on my list of favorite threads on THP.

I just can't get these out of my head--especially when he shows the comparison pics to the XRPs.

He's killing this review (obviously) and it's rapidly growing on my list of favorite threads on THP.

I just can't get these out of my head--especially when he shows the comparison pics to the XRPs.

time to off them. You can't hit them anyway. Get back to being a ping man. That's my goal.

That comparison is more useful than you know, thank you Jameson!

you will love these even with CFS distance shafts.

time to off them. You can't hit them anyway. Get back to being a ping man. That's my goal.

This is just a plan to get them in his bag so you can hit them on course, isn't it.

This is just a plan to get them in his bag so you can hit them on course, isn't it.

Without a doubt. Pete likes to drive straight in to the deep end. I prefer to wade in.

Jman,

Here is a question for you...I have read the CTL review that you participated in and was wondering how you would compare the CTL stiff to the CFS Distance Stiff since you are testing them in these new "i" irons? I use to play KBS Tour stiff in everything becuase I loved the feel but I spun them way too much. I play a high fade (which spins alot)...and love a high ball flight but do not want it to ballon which I got from the Tour's sometimes. My 6 iron SS is 80-82 maybe? Looking for something a little lighter (bad shoulders)and with less spin to put in my i15 irons?

Specs seem different as follows:

Name/Flex/Torque/Wgt/Launch

CTL/stiff/2.1/110/mid-high
CFS/stiff/1.8/110/low-mid

Thanks for any insight you could provide as I am contemplating sending my i15 irons to PING to have them refinished and rehafted...

Without a doubt. Pete likes to drive straight in to the deep end. I prefer to wade in.
It's more of a cannonball. I'm headed to Golf Galaxy this afternoon to get some swings in with these. And that is after hitting my gamer irons really well last night.

Links to previous updates/posts in spoilers:
Spoiler

• Initial Post w/ Info/Pics: CLICK HERE
  • Post w/ Individual Iron Pics (Face, Sole, Cavity, Address for each): CLICK HERE
  • Initial Thoughts and i20/i25 Comparison Pics: CLICK HERE
  • Comparison Pics w/ Other OEM Irons (sole/address): CLICK HERE
  • Wear Photo (150 swings in on 8i): CLICK HERE
  • Range Data/Performance update #1: CLICK HERE
  • Range Data/Performance update #2: CLICK HERE
  • 5i Compariosn Pics w/ other OEM Irons (sole/address): CLICK HERE

I said that I would put up some "wear" photos from where these are right now so that is what this post will be. Some things to keep in mind, I've got 9-10 rounds on them right now carrying and riding as well as 13 range bags, clearly the scoring irons have been hit more as you'll see with the face photos. The faces definitely aren't getting as light as quickly as the i20's or i25's did for me and the overall finish is holding up really nice. I know that someone will mention the black marks on the cavities (and not read this answer about those so I'll still have to address it again but thats ok) but they come clean, I am simply out of magic erasers at the moment, if you don't know what those are then you've been under a rock, and if you haven't used them to help clean up clubs then you are missing out.

3i:
DSC_0064-L.jpg

DSC_0065-L.jpg

DSC_0066-L.jpg

4i:
DSC_0067-L.jpg

DSC_0069-L.jpg

DSC_0068-L.jpg

5i:
DSC_0070-L.jpg

DSC_0071-L.jpg

DSC_0072-L.jpg

6i:
DSC_0073-L.jpg

DSC_0074-L.jpg

DSC_0075-L.jpg

7i:
DSC_0076-L.jpg

DSC_0077-L.jpg

DSC_0078-L.jpg

8i:
DSC_0079-L.jpg

DSC_0080-L.jpg

DSC_0081-L.jpg

9i:
DSC_0082-L.jpg

DSC_0083-L.jpg

DSC_0084-L.jpg

PW:
DSC_0088-L.jpg

DSC_0089-L.jpg

DSC_0090-L.jpg

UW:
DSC_0091-L.jpg

DSC_0092-L.jpg

DSC_0093-L.jpg

wear looks good to me. I know the black on the bag comes clean, but what is the cause of it?

wear looks good to me. I know the black on the bag comes clean, but what is the cause of it?

I think its just the way my bag setup is, kinda crammed in the 14-way at the bottom row. I was worried at first, until I scraped it with my nail and it came off. Grabbing some magic erasers tonight and will throw up a before and after on a couple.

so how awesome or not is the U wedge? I mean these are more affordable if I can just do 5-PW. Of course with my current setup I could probably do 6-UW.

Good pictures, James. It's pretty clear these wear better than the past two models.

so how awesome or not is the U wedge? I mean these are more affordable if I can just do 5-PW. Of course with my current setup I could probably do 6-UW.

Get the UW, you'll be pissed later if you don't. Its been a fun club for me from 135 to 100

The set SW was such a hit - or at least got pretty consistent rave reviews here - in the i25s, it's interesting/curious they went the other direction with this set.

The set wedge was such a hit - or at least got pretty consistent rave reviews here - in the i25s, it's interesting/curious they went the other direction with this set.

Honestly, IMO its because they finally put out a truly damn solid wedge in the Glide line.

Get the UW, you'll be pissed later if you don't. Its been a fun club for me from 135 to 100

What James said - in the i25s, the UW is maybe my favorite club. Well, I guess almost all of what James said. This 135 UW business is foreign to me.

The UW slot is a full swing club, why go with anything other than the one that matches the set and gaps perfectly?

Wow, they finally got the finish right. Or back to what they used to do before they jacked it up with the i20s.

Back