I had an interesting hole today, did I win my match

MPlefty

Reaction score
Handicap
so I was playing a match against a friend earlier, and we were both playing like crap and it was even trough 17.

18 is a long par 5, playing 524 today. A lot of things can happen there, there are bunkers on the left, and a big tree on the right that leans over the fairway. then a bunch of trees on the left, a lake on the right, and that green is stupidly sloped towards the water. I have see scores ranged from 3 to 12 there, its a great finishing hole.

so yeah, here is what happened, I pushed my tee shot a bit in the deep rough,, then sliced my 5 wood in the trees, close to the dirt road that leads to the Garage.
at the end of the road, about green high, there are two big dumpsters, so I just chipped a hybrid in the road sending my ball bouncing and rolling toward them and hoping to use them as a back stop. and I did it!

and from there I proceed to execute a crazy up and down for par from the dirt road!!!
my friend bogeys, so I think I won the match but he claims that I did not play the hole correctly, that I should get a penalty shot.

keep in mind, there are no stakes in that area, be it white yellow or red on that side of the course, only OOB stakes in the woods, past the dumpsters and left of the green.

so, what did I shoot? was it legit?

stupidhole_zpsyfra6x31.png

If you were never OB then you won the match. There is no right or wrong way to play a hole.

Where does he think that you should have incurred the penalty shot? Or just in general for not being on the fairway? If that was a real rule, I would have had 5 penalty shots last night for being on the wrong hole.

You win..tell him to suck it, eh.

^^ this ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the absence of any OOB or hazard stakes, there is nothing you have said that would cause you to incur a penalty stroke. Did he explain his logic?

In the absence of any OOB or hazard stakes, there is nothing you have said that cause you to incur a penalty stroke. Did he explain his logic?

nah, he is just a sore loser, he said I didn't play it "properly". the way I see it, it was pretty imaginative, and I made the best out of a terrible situation

nah, he is just a sore loser, he said I didn't play it "properly". the way I see it, it was pretty imaginative, and I made the best out of a terrible situation

If anything, you get style points for playing it creatively. The dude should buy a rule book. There is no such thing as playing a course "properly". You could have bounced the ball off the garage and, even if it were out of bounds, it would be legal if it bounced back in bounds.

Quite the hole Marty. I say you won it also sounds like your friend is just a bit salty.

You played a course with dumpsters on it, so I guess you both lose. :)

If anything, you get style points for playing it creatively. The dude should buy a rule book. There is no such thing as playing a course "properly". You could have bounced the ball off the garage and, even if it were out of bounds, it would be legal if it bounced back in bounds.

I wish there was such a thing as style points, I needed all I could get today, barely playing under 100

You played a course with dumpsters on it, so I guess you both lose. :)

yeah, dont all courses have dumpsters somewhere around the garage or behind the clubhouse? you don't usually see them, I actually never noticed them, until today.

yeah, dont all courses have dumpsters somewhere around the garage or behind the clubhouse? you don't usually see them, I actually never noticed them, until today.

You probably wouldn't have seen them if you had played the hole properly... :act-up:

You probably wouldn't have seen them if you had played the hole properly... :act-up:

:drinks::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

you just won the thread, I am still laughing

If phil can flop shots off a turf deck at the buffet tent, then I don't see why you can't clang a few dumpsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there's no OB stakes, then there's no penalty. That's a heck of a way to play the hole, I honestly would have NEVER thought to use the dumpsters as a backstop!!!

If there's no OB stakes, then there's no penalty. That's a heck of a way to play the hole, I honestly would have NEVER thought to use the dumpsters as a backstop!!!

I honestly just tried it for sh*ts and giggles, I never thought it would work, I just figured if I was going to lose, I'd lose by trying the hardest I could

It sounds like the straightest shot you played all day was down the road to the dumpsters. Lol
If you weren't OB you won.
Now you need to rub it in and remind him how you beat him with your "garbage shot".

You won and now you can always say "my games in the dumpster" as you beat him.

He is full of it. There have been quite a few times on tour where players have deliberately hit into the wrong fairway in order to get a better angle or lie.
No penalty invited so congrats on the win.

Just like Rory McIroy never noticed those cabins way to left of No. 10 at Augusta National until he was up there. Ha

Well Played Marty.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Back