Best City/State to live in...

Hard to beat the San Diego area for year around golf. Perfect weather everyday.

SD%20Weather_zps0vhk0bg2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hard to beat the San Diego area for year around golf. Perfect weather everyday.

SD%20Weather_zps0vhk0bg2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Living here all my life I can tell you it is great for year round golf. Affordable? Hell no but the beach helps take the sting out of that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonna roll with FL on this one. I will say that I'm pretty spoiled in GA as well. We have a ton of courses and most are pretty affordable and within a solid hour, hour and a half of where I am. You're not stuck playing the same ol track every week.

Texas, Florida or Southern California

Northern Florida would probably be tops due to lack of humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a Northern Floridian... it's extremely humid every single day.

Boy S.D. sounds great but why (as some have mentioned) is it so expensive to play there?
Are there no municipal courses or private/public ones that are reasonable?

Boy S.D. sounds great but why (as some have mentioned) is it so expensive to play there?
Are there no municipal courses or private/public ones that are reasonable?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that San Diego is in the top 10 for most expensive cities to live in. Although that could have changed by now.

As for the OP, I'd say Southern California, Arizona, or Florida would be the best.

St. George, UT is fantastic.

I would think living near Myrtle Beach with over 100 golf courses to play would be a top choice. For me, living in Henderson, NV (Las Vegas) allows me to play year round. The heat during the 3-4 months are tollerable as long as you play early tee times.

Colorado...and yes golf can be played all year. Just a few days spread a part for snow melt. Usually not too cold for a few layers.

Can't stand humidity so maybe somewhere in Cali except for prices. Never golfed there, but maybe this year Decemberish?

I can't say because I haven't played golf anywhere but California. But I say here is the best for golf. I can golf roughly round 350 days a year. the other 16 days would be because of rain. For the first time in 3 years, I stopped middle of the round this Sunday because of rain. AND I'd take dry 100+ heat over humidity any day.
But to live in...? No. Not California. Too expensive. I'm paying $4.65 per gallon.

Colorado...and yes golf can be played all year. Just a few days spread a part for snow melt. Usually not too cold for a few layers.

Can't stand humidity so maybe somewhere in Cali except for prices. Never golfed there, but maybe this year Decemberish?

Rocky Mountain states are often overlooked when it comes to golf. New Mexico is also excellent, as is Boise, ID. /beating a dead horse

I've lived in many of the regions mentioned and San Antonio Texas gets my vote. You get an awesome year round golf climate with tons of reasonably priced and varied venues. Not that you'd need to ever leave with all the options right there, but an hour either way completely changes everything. The short drive gets you Hill Country golf or Coastal Resort golf. There is also quite a bit of golf history too. In comparison to some of the other great choices mentioned, EVERYTHING is just so much cheaper there. So you could afford more golf, more golf travel, and have still have the cash to fund all your club ho addictions. I loved FL golf when I lived or traveled there but so many of those courses are just so similar to each other and it's so bloody humid and the courses (and roads) are often jammed with blue hairs when it's not. I really liked the desert golf when I lived in AZ and NM too, especially the high desert stuff, but can't do the 105+ stuff anymore and the good golf was more spread out other than around Phoenix which is pricey. Not as pricey as CA. Wow, lived there years ago and even then it was way above my fiscal zipcode ... that and I hated how overcrowded and brutally slow the golf was even back then.

Last edited:
I've lived in many of the regions mentioned and San Antonio Texas gets my vote. You get an awesome year round golf climate with tons of reasonably priced and varied venues. Not that you'd need to every leave with all the options right there but an hour either way completely changes everything. The short drive gets you Hill Country golf or Coastal Resort golf. There is also quite a bit of golf history too. In comparison to some of the other great choices mentioned, EVERYTHING is just so much cheaper there. So you could afford more golf, more golf travel, and have still have the cash to fund all your club ho addictions. I loved FL golf when I lived or traveled there but so many of those courses are just so similar to each other and it's so bloody humid and the courses (and roads) are often jammed with blue hairs when it's not. I really liked the desert golf when I lived in AZ and NM too, especially the high desert stuff, but can't do the 105+ stuff anymore and the good golf was more spread out other than around Phoenix which is pricey. Not as pricey as CA. Wow, lived there years ago and even then it was way above my fiscal zipcode ... that and I hated how overcrowded and brutally slow the golf was even back then.

5-6 hour rounds are slow? Haha! It's Dreadful.

Rocky Mountain states are often overlooked when it comes to golf. New Mexico is also excellent, as is Boise, ID. /beating a dead horse
Agreed. I'm really big on Boise golf, the Salt Lake City region too, as well as New Mexico (especially Ruidoso area) and both Tuscon and Flagstaff. Wasn't a golfer yet when I lived near Denver, but I'll bet that's incredible too.

I live in Denver and its year round golf, like J4U said, your going to have days in winter where you cant golf, but the snow usually melts in a day or 2 and courses are back open. I cant stand hot and humid, so that rules out anything in the south, and when it does snow, just head up the mountain and shred some powder.

Carlsbad, CA.
Scottsdale, AZ. Can be almost anywhere in 5 hours by car or plane. Oh, and with 300+ golf courses within a 1.5 hr drive, the variety is endless.

I've been in California for all my 47 years and my family has been here since the 1940's so it would be tough to leave - but no I don't have an 8 figure trust fund so buying at Pebble Beach is out . Inland California like Sacramento is completely reasonably priced though but will be 90+ for 4 months per year. I could see a place like Bend, OR being a great place to be (if you are retired since its pretty much only service level/lawyer/doctor/real estate jobs or second home wealthy types). Don't rule out a place like Las Vegas which has a giant airport that has flights going everywhere if you need to get out of there for a while. LV's little brother Reno is getting huge now too and filled with courses........going up there in a few weeks actually.

I really like the idea of Florida and the zillions of courses - but the humidity would drive me insane rather quickly - that's not going to stop me from visiting though even though a gator/boa/snake/spider/sinkhole may kill me. I played golf in Dallas during June a few times and it was "glove a hole" muggy and miserable to me - but the courses were fun and I've always had a great time. I was told to come back in August if I thought June's weather was harsh.

Hard to argue against FL, alot of quality golf courses in all price ranges, and you can play year round very easily.

I agree. Born and raised in Indiana and more than likely here to stay, but Florida is where I would be if possible.

I don't believe anywhere in the USA is better than central Florida.

I plan to retire there if I live that long.

as a golf destination

Agree to disagree. Although I will say SLC doesn't get enough credit for having some amazing tracks.

Back