Callaway XR Pro Driver Preview

That's gotta be a good feeling JMan. Any big difference between the shafts or did you only use 1?

That's gotta be a good feeling JMan. Any big difference between the shafts or did you only use 1?

Got those numbers off the bat w/ the HC LZ 50 6.0 and didn't dare eff with it. Hahahaha

Wow, I would t either... Some things were just made to be

Those are darn good numbers jman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are darn good numbers jman

I was happy as can be to see them, 3 degrees lower launching and about 1k lower spinning for me than my 815. Facts are, I'm steep and my contact is high middle of the the face mostly so the deeper face looks to be a good thing for me.

Going to see if it was a fluke tomorrow. Hahahaha

I was happy as can be to see them, 3 degrees lower launching and about 1k lower spinning for me than my 815. Facts are, I'm steep and my contact is high middle of the the face mostly so the deeper face looks to be a good thing for me.

Going to see if it was a fluke tomorrow. Hahahaha
Pretty darn good right there against one of the best heads out.

So, laterally this one is def more penal than the 815 or the xr that I had, as it should be given the CG and the face depth. But, for where my pattern lives now, middle high, its a damn good situation because of that depth.

At setup its insanely good looking, I got great numbers at +2/D. The only thing I don't care for the the feel, its one of those heads that the ball feels like it lags on the face a but for me, not super "hot" feeling if you want to use that terminology.... But the results don't lie. I played it as my sole driver on 36 yesterday and hit it damn well.

You think it some what like the original alpha? Perhaps a little more lateral foregivness though?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

You think it some what like the original alpha? Perhaps a little more lateral foregivness though?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
I only hit the OG alpha I believe 2 times, and it was with the 1kshaft so I was terrified to hit it any more hahahahah

I'd be curious to see a comparison there myself.

So, laterally this one is def more penal than the 815 or the xr that I had, as it should be given the CG and the face depth. But, for where my pattern lives now, middle high, its a damn good situation because of that depth.

At setup its insanely good looking, I got great numbers at +2/D. The only thing I don't care for the the feel, its one of those heads that the ball feels like it lags on the face a but for me, not super "hot" feeling if you want to use that terminology.... But the results don't lie. I played it as my sole driver on 36 yesterday and hit it damn well.

That's interesting. To me this is the "hottest" driver I've hit this year, but just goes to show that everyone is different, but yeah, numbers don't lie :)

That's interesting. To me this is the "hottest" driver I've hit this year, but just goes to show that everyone is different, but yeah, numbers don't lie :)
FWIW on the "hot" thing, I'm talking feel/sound and not the actual launch/ballspeed.

I'm back to wanting to really wanting to try this one. I like the DBD so far, but I'm not sure I love it. I think this could be a good fit.

Don't miss on the toe.

Yeesh.

How'd it go with the Reign Black?

How'd it go with the Reign Black?

Meh. Numbers were better with the LZ in this head. They weren't bad w/ the RB, quite playable, but the #'s on the HC LZ are just borderline silly...when I'm not swinging like a third grader off the tee like I was most of the day today.

Meh. Numbers were better with the LZ in this head. They weren't bad w/ the RB, quite playable, but the #'s on the HC LZ are just borderline silly...when I'm not swinging like a third grader off the tee like I was most of the day today.
The most encouraging thing for me is my miss (high) that this still produces pretty darn well. My only issue with the 2014 Alpha with the core down is a high face miss is somewhat penalizing for me. The head has always enticed me and these results have helped with that.

FWIW on the "hot" thing, I'm talking feel/sound and not the actual launch/ballspeed.

Yup, that's what I meant as well. Sound, I would agree with you, but feel wise I feel like it's just exploding off the face. I'm getting good carry and ridiculous roll with this club.

I too hit it high up on the face sometimes, but it's not too penalizing. That's the point of the smaller (440cc) heads on player's drivers since better players tend to miss on the face vertically and not horizontally. That's what I read a few years ago, not sure if the research has changed.

My brother in law just picked this driver up off the marketplace and will be hitting it side by side with my DBD tonight. We have a Devotion 6, Kyoshi gold and LZ handcrafted to fool around with. Should be fun!

My brother in law just picked this driver up off the marketplace and will be hitting it side by side with my DBD tonight. We have a Devotion 6, Kyoshi gold and LZ handcrafted to fool around with. Should be fun!

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I hit some monsters with it.

In the end though, the 815 is just my love.

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I hit some monsters with it.

In the end though, the 815 is just my love.

I think he is going to love it with the Hand Crafted in there! The 815 line is so good. I can not get over how good the DBD looks from the top.

How did the testing go? I picked up a DBD and I'm not sure I really love it. I'm anxious to see how this one stacked up.

How did the testing go? I picked up a DBD and I'm not sure I really love it. I'm anxious to see how this one stacked up.

Nothing by the way of hard #'s but fairly similar results on good shots. The XR pro seems to be a little more forgiving for both of us on off center strikes. I still hit my DBD better over all but I am very comfortable with it. My brother in law was better with the Pro Devotion 6 combination. He was pounding it.

I think I may have just found the holy grail of drivers for me - XR Pro with a Graphite Design AD Di6 x flex. Had a chance to hit this yesterday and the Trackman showed amazingly good launch, spin, and dispersion. It's certainly not the latest shaft but my average ball speed was 162, spin was 2100, launch was 14.8, and smash factor was 1.48. Most importantly, my average dispersion was only 11 yards. It may send my GBB into early retirement or maybe the AD Di6 will be even better in the GBB head! Further testing is needed, maybe I was just having an exceptional day.

Back