• Clutch putting wizard

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • The captain who makes all the choices

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • The guy/gal that makes everyone have fun

Votes: 16 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I enjoy playing in scrambles. Most on the ones I play in are held on work days so that means I am playing golf instead of working and ya can't beat that.

It used to be off the tee but right now I doubt there is anything special about my game that would set me apart so I'll select "None of the above".

I like them for the social aspect. In fact I was thinking of trying to set one up to benefit the schools here, if that is allowed. As for my role on a team, it would be the safe shot off the tee and the first putt to give others a read.

I enjoy them too! There are several during the year at one of the public courses in D.C. And usually a very laid back tourney.

I don't enjoy them much, not as golf, more as social events. Role? Used to be long off the tee, now, just along for the good times.

My work puts on 2 a year and we always have a good time. We don't take ourselves too seriously, just a fun outing and a good way to meet other people at the company that you normaly don't interact with on a daily basis.

I don't like scrambles because I am usually the captain but I am a short hitter and rarely get a long hitter on my team. This means we have longer shots in to greens and too often end up "scrambling" for pars.

I do like scrambles. I am usually the longer hitter, but I can putt pretty well too.

I played my first scramble yesterday and I had a blast.

We were all evenly matched, and it actually was the most pressure I've felt while golfing since I took up the sport.

Id say me and my partner were about 50/50 in terms of who's shots were used.

I felt less pressure when driving the ball bc my partner only hits 3W, and is consistently about 220+ and on the fairway. So, I could stand over the ball and rip it.
Consequently, I had my best driving day from start to finish.
We were consistently starting out 30,40 and 50 yards ahead of our competition.

But I learned something invaluable: I'm not sure that extra distance does much of anything to save you strokes in the end. I think the extra yardage was (on all but 1-2 holes) meaningless. If both teams were on the fairway, it was still the 2nd shot (ie GIR) that made all the difference. I can think of only one hole where we could (and did) reach in two because of the added distance on the drive, and the opposition had no shot at it.

So, I guess, if my specialty was driving the ball, it was the least important shot (as long as it was on/near the fairway.

I enjoy scrambles, and have had pretty good success in a few of them. The strategy and teamwork makes it a lot of fun. Its amazing the golf shots you can hit when you don't have to worry about hitting a bad shot because a ball is already in play. I am also a much better putter after seeing 2 or 3 putts on the same line. Goes to show you most of this game is between your ears.

I usually play the long hitter off the tee, and love trying to hit shots that you wouldn't dream of in stroke play (like slinging a 40 yard hook between two trees to cut a dogleg on a par 4/5).

I played in my only scramble last year and we won on the final hole when I chipped in for birdie! I enjoyed it since it really let me try new things and it had everyone involved. We used drives, approach shots, and putts from everyone so it didn't seem like each guy had a specialty that we relied on each hole. In terms of trying new things, it was nice to be able to get a ball in good position and then allow the rest of the group to try to be perfect or take a risk (cutting the corner on a long dogleg, carrying a pond that's better suited to play around, getting a drive over that hard-to-reach creek that crosses the fairway, etc)

Who enjoys scrambles/and what area do you excel in

I enjoy them but I learned early to have fun and don't expect to win and when the inevitable ridiculous score pops up just laugh.

As far as excel ? I'm a pretty good driver of the golf ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the big Spouse's Club Scramble coming up on the 11th. Been dialing in my irons pretty well of late, so I'm looking forward to throwing some darts!

Scrambles are okay once in a while, but for me they're for having fun and socializing.

At a company outing, we had no chance to win, so we decided to try for fewest putts. We all hit short of every green and tried to pitch/chip close for short putts. It almost worked, but one other team beat us for fewest putts....

P.S. I guess I'm best at keeping it in play. Short, but in play....

After yesterday, I've kinda decided that I'm not the biggest fan of scrambles. The format is fun, but yesterday was a 2 groups on every hole type deal and it took over 6 freaking hours to finish. Plus we had absolutely no chance to win - hell I forgot to turn in the card lol.

The beers and shenanigans afterward were much more fun! (part of the reason I forgot to turn in the card :act-up:)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I enjoy scrambles. I'm usually the 1st to tee off to get one safe out there for the long hitters and the last one to putt after seeing 3 people give me the line.

Same thing for me.

My guys always want me to be first off the tee and last to putt. Putting has always come natural to me and is the strongest part of my game by a long shot.

Get me on the green and I can put it in the hole.

My problem is getting it on the green! lol

Scrambles are a blast.

I hate scrambles. They're always slow, you can never get a sense for how well you're actually playing, and the winning score is usually ridiculous.

That said, they do involve hitting a golf ball, so if I don't have another option, I'll play.

I love scrambles. You get all the fun aspects of golf without the stress of feeling the need to perform on every shot. I'm primarily the long hitter off the tee box but not always able to get one out there worth playing our second shot from. I enjoy the beer and cigars that usually go along with scrambles as well. I never play them expecting to win though. The lowest score I've had with a scramble team is 62. It's usually more like a 52 that wins.

Whenever my brother visits from out of town we play a scramble format with my dad and young son. It's stress free for everyone and my son especially appreciates it. He is so excited when we use one of his short game shots and/or putts. And he's had plenty of opportunities to make birdie or save par for the team.

I enjoy scrambles, just for fun, not the high dollar entry fee scrambles ( for all the reasons posted in this thread). I enjoy being able to go after drives and fairways after we have a "safe" one. I've never really been on a "good" team however, usually it's one good player, and two that can barely play the game. Or, Myself and three others that might hit two or three shots that actually get in the air (not kidding either, that is always how it seems to work out). I do like how anybody can contribute by making a putt, chip, or pitch though.

I've only played in one, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I didn't excel at anything, because I don't excel at anything in the game of golf. None of us really had specialties...we were all very high handicappers. We just hoped one of the four of us hit a decent shot each time.

Our annual industry outing is tomorrow (look out for the cosmetic chemists!) and I'm playing with our usual team (my former boss and two of our vendor friends). We play it to be competitive, but still have a good time, although I heard that the usual ringer team was down a man this year so that may open up the field a bit. Three of us played together at Baltusrol last Saturday and I think I was the low score so I may have to pull more weight this year than just putting! I'll try to do a live round post if I remember.

I love them as long as I know I'm playing with people that are relatively trustworthy. I mean I don't expect people to play by USGA rules cause I certainly don't, but don't lie about your score or use mulligans and stuff like that. I don't really excel in any particular area but I'm usually an asset to the team. Depending on the people I play with my role is always different. There are some times I play where I'm the longest hitter in the group so I have to be the one to go last and bomb it. Other times I play with great players and I'm basically there to just be the guy to put it in play, be safe, and give them the read on putts. So it all changes.

Back