Cobra Golf Fly-Z Driver Review Thread

I won this driver at a scramble a few weeks ago. I got a stiff shaft (stock stiff), put a normal grip +3 wraps on it, and finally got it out to play.
All I can say, is "WOW"!
When this driver is hit on the club face, flight is great - low to mid flight, great distance (at least 260 yds, multiple 300+ yd drives over 4 rounds), and the forgiveness is terrific! My ball flight tends to be a fade, slice miss. This driver fades a touch, but I had a bunch of drives that actually went straight, exactly where I was aimed (which does not happen often).
I really like this driver - it will be my gamer for the future! Could not be happier!

compared to anything in particular, or is this your typical trajectory? i was thinking fly-z+ was the lower-flying of their products.

I was loving this on the range this weekend, I was hitting it further than my current gamer. Just an easy club to hit.

I kinda want one.

A lot.

More than the plus?
I though I would of liked the plus more but I was playing with this one with Yagley and it was totally for me. Then when the man that makes them tells you that's the one he plays you have to listen.

I though I would of liked the plus more but I was playing with this one with Yagley and it was totally for me. Then when the man that makes them tells you that's the one he plays you have to listen.

That's hard to argue yeah

I think this fits my needs more honestly, I don't need low/forward.
I really enjoyed this one over the weekend. The ball just wants to go high and straight. My favorite Cobra driver out right now.

Hit 5 shots on the range with this and love the flight and reaction off the face. Very impressive driver.

Nice win spivey and impressive drives. You bringing this to Pitt?

compared to anything in particular, or is this your typical trajectory? i was thinking fly-z+ was the lower-flying of their products.
Thanks. Yes, this will be in Pitt with me.

Compared to the BioCell w the ProjectX 6.0 stock shaft. I hit a high ball, and the flight with this driver is lower than I usually see in the BioCell. Both are 9*, I am thinking it might be the shaft difference, although my other driver (not BioCell or FlyZ) also has a Px 6.0 shaft, so I am not sure what is going on.

All I know is that I am enjoying this driver immensely!

As an aside, during my lesson, I hit two drives - one I missed right (did not finish the swing), the second was a 290 yd slight fade, on my line. Even my instructor was impressed, and he reps Cobra!!

Pulled the trigger on one these. It should be here later this week.

Pulled the trigger on one these. It should be here later this week.
You need to come up to Sedona for the Fourth, bro.

One, because I'm really hoping to put together a good group of Arizonans, and two so I can get hit the Fly-Z.

looks nice, love the green choice. let us know how it plays!

I got it out on the course today for a 9 holes. It didn't disappoint, I got lots of distance on most of my mishits. The only one I lost a fair amount of distance on was one where I only caught the bottom part of the ball so it went pretty high. I don't think there's much any club could do for me on that one.

thanks to the marketplace combo of thp'ers kuyaariel and mercer85, i'm the proud owner of a fly-z verdant green with an oban kiyoshi gold 65 04. i hit my first balls today. i went to my local goat ranch driving range and put this up against my r1 with aldila tour blue 65 s. r1 is set to one notch below "highest" (11 or 11.5 iirc), weights in draw. i've been grooving the r1 really well lately, averaging 75% fairways in the last 2 months (though to be fair, not all of those were with driver). i got a medium bucket and starting swinging/sweating away.

first thought is that the fly-z looks great at address. it does not sit closed, which i very much appreciate. with the kiyoshi gold 65 04, it has decent heft but feels very "stable" or "equally-distributed," whereas the r1 with the tour blue feels head heavy. the white contrasting lines on the fly-z face help with alignment.

i started out at 10.5 "neutral" weighting and hit about 10-15 balls. it took me a little while to find my swing, but the best shots were penetrating, a little too low, and had a piercing cut shape. not bad, but not enough to replace the r1. then i took about 10-15 swings with the r1, and i saw what i'm used to. great center-face contact, solid feeling at impact, maybe not the longest driver, but about a 20y dispersion which is a big deal to me.

i bumped the fly-z up to 12, again "neutral." flight obviously jumped way up, but so did the lefts. hit some really nice shots, and was starting to feel more confident with the fly-z. too many shots going left, and it just felt too closed. i took a few more swings with the r1 just to get the fly-z out of my system. at 12, it was starting to scare the r1 out of the bag, but dispersion was still lacking.

i knocked the fly-z down to 11.5, again "neutral." absolute bombs. i aimed at a flag that while i didn't laser, is typically around 215 from where i was setup, 230 to carry over the green, with old flight-controlled/water-logged range balls. of the last 20 or so swings i made at 11.5 with the fly-z, i either hit that green, or flew it directly over the flag with all but MAYBE five of those swings. my dispersion couldn't have been bigger than 5y with the vast majority of those swings. i started trying to hit it high, low, left, and right. fade seemed to be easier, but i could hit a soft draw. high and low were a piece of cake. and regardless of whether i hit the heel or toe, this thing still found its target.

my wife and kids will be out of town this weekend and next week, so i'll be getting some real rounds in with this. if today was any indicator, the r1 may be chased out of the bag. thanks to thp for giving me a second look at cobra at the 2015 liita. otherwise i never would have tried their new gear. i'll report back after a few rounds.

thanks for reading!

thanks to the marketplace combo of thp'ers kuyaariel and mercer85, i'm the proud owner of a fly-z verdant green with an oban kiyoshi gold 65 04. i hit my first balls today. i went to my local goat ranch driving range and put this up against my r1 with aldila tour blue 65 s. r1 is set to one notch below "highest" (11 or 11.5 iirc), weights in draw. i've been grooving the r1 really well lately, averaging 75% fairways in the last 2 months (though to be fair, not all of those were with driver). i got a medium bucket and starting swinging/sweating away.

first thought is that the fly-z looks great at address. it does not sit closed, which i very much appreciate. with the kiyoshi gold 65 04, it has decent heft but feels very "stable" or "equally-distributed," whereas the r1 with the tour blue feels head heavy. the white contrasting lines on the fly-z face help with alignment.

i started out at 10.5 "neutral" weighting and hit about 10-15 balls. it took me a little while to find my swing, but the best shots were penetrating, a little too low, and had a piercing cut shape. not bad, but not enough to replace the r1. then i took about 10-15 swings with the r1, and i saw what i'm used to. great center-face contact, solid feeling at impact, maybe not the longest driver, but about a 20y dispersion which is a big deal to me.

i bumped the fly-z up to 12, again "neutral." flight obviously jumped way up, but so did the lefts. hit some really nice shots, and was starting to feel more confident with the fly-z. too many shots going left, and it just felt too closed. i took a few more swings with the r1 just to get the fly-z out of my system. at 12, it was starting to scare the r1 out of the bag, but dispersion was still lacking.

i knocked the fly-z down to 11.5, again "neutral." absolute bombs. i aimed at a flag that while i didn't laser, is typically around 215 from where i was setup, 230 to carry over the green, with old flight-controlled/water-logged range balls. of the last 20 or so swings i made at 11.5 with the fly-z, i either hit that green, or flew it directly over the flag with all but MAYBE five of those swings. my dispersion couldn't have been bigger than 5y with the vast majority of those swings. i started trying to hit it high, low, left, and right. fade seemed to be easier, but i could hit a soft draw. high and low were a piece of cake. and regardless of whether i hit the heel or toe, this thing still found its target.

my wife and kids will be out of town this weekend and next week, so i'll be getting some real rounds in with this. if today was any indicator, the r1 may be chased out of the bag. thanks to thp for giving me a second look at cobra at the 2015 liita. otherwise i never would have tried their new gear. i'll report back after a few rounds.

thanks for reading!

Great to hear dude. I love the feel of this driver and it was almost the one I went with. Hope it treats you well on the course!

Great to hear dude. I love the feel of this driver and it was almost the one I went with. Hope it treats you well on the course!

solid feeling, but you know when you miss it. I also hope to get some lm numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really solid day with this driver today! My only missed fairways were dog legs, where I drove it through corner.

I am looking forward to playing this head with the ProjectX shaft, and putting it up against the D200. I will be hitting balls for the next week or so, will absolutely have feedback with this head.

Just picked up a Fly-Z in blue and so far I love it. Hit a small bucket at the range and I can say it's in fact long a straight.

good results on the course for my first round at a course with generous fairways, not so good on a course that required accuracy. but it's 100% on me for not swinging well. a very bad swing habit showed itself in the second round, and i couldn't shake it. after the round, i went to the range to see if i could dig it out, and went back to seeing what i expected from the driver: high bombs with very good dispersion. so it's just me struggling on the course, not the club's fault.

i couldn't draw the ball at all yesterday, and very well-struck shots had a 5-10y cut that i would prefer to lose since every time i try to fade the ball i end up hitting a block fade that ends up significantly farther right than i'd like. so i think i'll try the 11.5 draw setting and see what happens, though i fear the closed look at address may mess with my head too much.

I've often wondered this, so anyone that may know, please jump in!!
Ok, so there's a jump from 10.5* to 11.5*...but if I set it to 10.5D and open it up to neutral, will that be around 11*??

I've often wondered this, so anyone that may know, please jump in!!
Ok, so there's a jump from 10.5* to 11.5*...but if I set it to 10.5D and open it up to neutral, will that be around 11*??

how do you open it to neutral? I thought the smart pad was supposed to keep everything square, even on the draw setting?

Back