TM_Bobby723

Reaction score
Handicap
+
Who all on here works with an Instructor/Teacher on a regular basis? I have a few friends who are PGA Professionals/Instructors and I've had a quick 15 minute lesson here or there to tweak a few things when I was struggling, but nothing on a regular basis.

That being said, I'm basically a self taught feel player and I've never had steady instruction. Today, I scheduled my first session with an instructor with plans of sticking with him on a schedule/regular basis. He came as "the only person I would refer you to" by someone whose opinion I value highly. He also uses BodiTrack, which I hear is awesome and extremely helpful.

I'm really looking forward to it and the whole process. So I'm just curious what kinds of success anyone here has had working with an instructor? Was it awkward at first if you had to change things? How long until you felt comfortable, etc…?

I have been thoroughly happy with my pro choice this year. He adapts the speed and explanations based on my learning preferences, and has had no issue dialing things back if we get going too fast. How long until I felt comfortable? Within the first lesson, really, which is what I'm looking for; lessons can be a pricey investment. I'm not willing to spend 3 or 4 sessions figuring out if it's going to be a solid teacher/student combination.

I wish I did. Can't find the right one here locally, and each time I work with someone it causes months of damage to the swing I've constructed.

Havent really cared for my first few instructors, but found a really good one last year who really made my swing less junky without re-inventing the wheel

I was working with someone on a weekly basis for a while. 30 min at a time just to make sure things we're staying in sync.

The first thing I said when I met him was that I didn't want to make any drastic changes right off the bat. Of course that didn't happen. I do like where it ended up however

I got too busy to continue, but most of it comes back naturally after a few holes.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I wish I did. Can't find the right one here locally, and each time I work with someone it causes months of damage to the swing I've constructed.

That's what I was always afraid of. Luckily, with the "tweak" lessons I had with my friends, it didn't happen - all was positive. I'm really looking forward to working with this new instructor as he was named as one of 2017 Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers." Turns out, he works with Tour guys, too. Our first session is scheduled for Sept. 18th, but that could change depending on if his guys make it to the Tour Championship. :bulgy-eyes:

i worked with someone on-and-off for about 2 years. i've pretty much walked away from most of what he taught me. or maybe i didn't but just think i did, because i sure am playing a lot better now than how i was playing before i went to him. there are times i would like to find someone who can work with me and give me that one drill or swing thought or tweak to magically drop 4 or 5 strokes off my handicap. but the fact is, i just don't have the time to practice enough to ingrain anything new. most of my reps are taken on the course, so given that i just don't see how it would make any sense.

I could not be more happy with my instructor.

I was self-taught, too, and played with those flaws for 25 years. My Wife got into golf last year, so we decided after recommendations from friends to take lessons at the local Golf Galaxy. We did six weekly lessons from their in-store pro. He's been fantastic. He doesn't charge until after the first lesson, to give you the chance to decide if it's a good fit. Don't like? No charge. Like? Pay for that and the remaining 5 lessons. It's been a great investment for both of us. She got to learn things correctly right up front, and I got to correct obvious mistakes that I always knew were problems, but didn't have the knowledge to correct on my own.

Not sure at this point how often I will go back for touch-up lessons, but pretty sure that will happen. He also does game management lessons on the course of our choice, so we're thinking about that, too.

I have one I've been working with since April and have been going to him on and off for several years now. I also two others I would consider if I needed a different perspective

I've taken lessons about once every 2-3 weeks since March as this was my year to get serious. If you want to get better faster, find an instructor you like and stick with it.

My guy is accustomed to better players, I have him show me the move he wants me to make as verbal only does so much, and I get a better idea of what he wants. Some coaches are very good at giving you feels or putting hands on you so you feel what they want, which is preferred, and some of it you've got to find the feel that works, and then put away your ego, give yourself a pass and get ready to do what they want while not hitting the ball well.

Making the moves they want you to make will result in trash contact - give yourself a pass and focus on the exaggeration or rehearsal of what they want...

Last edited:
Been working with the same instructor for the last 3 years and she has been great. We met more frequent in the beginning and get together once or twice a year now. Guys at the course have spoken highly of the new teaching professional at my home course, so for convenience reasons - I may work with him a little bit to get a different perspective this fall.

My wife and I have the same instructor and love the guy. She sees him more than I do but if it's really going crazy, I can get in pretty quick for a tune up. His biggest advice is "you ain't making the tour, so relax and have some fun. Come see me when it's not fun anymore"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I worked with a Pro at the Annika Academy until it closed in 6 lesson blocks over a couple of years. Depending on the work Schedule that could be 1 every couple of months or 1-2 in a month.
It was incredibly helpful and my cap was down to its lowest (7), it seems I am just basically dense since he really just kept beating the same info into me with video to show the progress. It is sad that I revert right back to the same mistakes and Panda saw the same issues (as the Annika Pro) that my current semi (friendly) instructor sees now.

Just goes to show without constant work the old dog does the same tricks.....but with new sticks...

I'm not confident that everyone needs a regular teaching pro or even golf instruction every single year. My swing changes that I began a year ago are just now becoming natural. Any additional instruction this summer would have just complicated the changes I've been working on. I have 2 buddies that have had the same teacher for 25+ years that they see at least monthly and their scores have declined significantly over that period. Mine have not and I've only had a handful of lessons in the last 20 years. Paralysis by analysis is the correct cliche!

I'm not confident that everyone needs a regular teaching pro or even golf instruction every single year. My swing changes that I began a year ago are just now becoming natural. Any additional instruction this summer would have just complicated the changes I've been working on. I have 2 buddies that have had the same teacher for 25+ years that they see at least monthly and their scores have declined significantly over that period. Mine have not and I've only had a handful of lessons in the last 20 years. Paralysis by analysis is the correct cliche!

That scary reality.

That scary reality.

Scary no doubt. The whole "paralysis by analysis" is always what I fear. I don't need a lot of info, just need an understanding to know what causes my misses. Hoping to make my misses less frequent, etc… I'm not looking for an overhaul, but more of a refinement and make sure I have no wasted movement.

One of my friends who is a PGA Professional/Instructor has also suggested "3 days a week - 100 swings a day" idea. Not necessarily hitting balls, but 100 swings a day to engrain muscle memory, improve consistency, etc… But I feel like I need to know what I'm working on for that to work to it's full potential.

I have been working with someone about 6-8 times a year for the last 3 years. Massive changes in my swing and I am starting to see dividends on course. I went the overhaul route.

Finding a good one is the key. One that YOU can learn can from. Went to one friend that was a teaching Pro, old school guy, you hit a ball,he gives advise, but I am in IT and love gadgets ... went to another guy that teaches indoors, with video and launch monitor, teach aids ... bingo. We connected instantly ... its helping me. I love looking at my numbers ... and being in the air conditioner!

... went to another guy that teaches indoors, with video and launch monitor, teach aids ... bingo. We connected instantly ... its helping me. I love looking at my numbers ... and being in the air conditioner!

Yeah, this worked for me, too. Being able to not only hear what you're doing wrong, but actually see it in slow motion as well (and from different angles) was a huge help.

... and the air conditioner in the Golf Galaxy in Fairview Heights IL seemed to be under-performing all summer. :sweat: Still better than outside, though.

No lessons for me...

I really enjoy figuring it out on my own..perhaps if I get frustrated, I will seek advice.

Back