D-Stapp

Reaction score
Handicap
10.6 Grint
I have a pretty old set of clubs. My irons at taylormade rac, from '04 or '05 and my driver is the old Cleveland launcher. The irons have little rust spots on them, nothing to crazy and the driver is just very old technology. But I hit both very good, my irons are always rescuing my shorter driver distance. I went to golf galaxy to demo some new drivers and couldn't hit nothing past 240, and I hit my current driver about the same. Give or take 5 yards.

At what point should I just buy new stuff if the current old beat up stuff is still performing. I would buy a new driver in a heartbeat if it would have added some distance or something.

When does the want outweight the need for new clubs?

I have a pretty old set of clubs. My irons at taylormade rac, from '04 or '05 and my driver is the old Cleveland launcher. The irons have little rust spots on them, nothing to crazy and the driver is just very old technology. But I hit both very good, my irons are always rescuing my shorter driver distance. I went to golf galaxy to demo some new drivers and couldn't hit nothing past 240, and I hit my current driver about the same. Give or take 5 yards.

At what point should I just buy new stuff if the current old beat up stuff is still performing. I would buy a new driver in a heartbeat if it would have added some distance or something.

Give the new Cleveland launcher driver a shot maybe.

When the pocket book says it is okay to do so. Seriously, did you try different shafts in that driver to see what worked and what didn't? New and shiny is nice but if it still works and you are happy with it why change?

The wife already said it's okay, so there's the green light. Lol I tried a couple different drivers with stiff and regular shafts, no different brand shafts or weighs. It wasn't a fitting just me stopping in to see if a new driver would make a big difference. I feel like it's old and I just want a new one. If I was smoking them 280 I would have purchased immediately.

I guess what I'm asking is how old, is to old.

The forgiveness on off center hits is the biggest thing you will gain with clubs from the past 3 or 4 years in comparison to your current equipment. THP did a recent test of a current driver vs. one that was around 15 or 20 years old and the distance gains were quite substantial.

I want all the new shiny club that's come out. It doesn't mean I need it. I just want it. For me I needed distance on miss hits from clubs. I bought new M2 to replace my 915. Center hits are similar but low hit was far better on M2. My usual miss is low on face. So it can be want and need at same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wife already said it's okay, so there's the green light. Lol I tried a couple different drivers with stiff and regular shafts, no different brand shafts or weighs. It wasn't a fitting just me stopping in to see if a new driver would make a big difference. I feel like it's old and I just want a new one. If I was smoking them 280 I would have purchased immediately.

If you are going to pay the money for new equipment would recommend going through the fitting. Lots of variables that could increase your distance.

That Launcher head is great. Go for a fitting and bring that with you to see if you can gain anything.

I still play my Cleveland TA5 gunmetals from time to time along with some Callaway Razrs. Both are old tech but I play well with them hence me keeping them around. Once a year I re-polish the Razrs and make them look as new as I can. I will continue to play them as long as I can. Yes, new tech is nice and surpasses older clubs. With all that said, nothing wrong with new clubs though!

Get fit. Zero chance you don't find a club that goes farther than current gamer unless your swing speed is like 80 or 85.

As a sales person at a major retailer if you came in and hit your stuff as well as the new I would send you home with all your money in your pocket.

...but that's not to say I wouldn't do everything I could to get you better too.

Haha i'm in this situation right now - I want Epic irons but I don't need them and performance to my gamers is negligible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't trust golf galaxy simulators for anything. Do you have a local golf course with demo driver's you can take to the range? I'm not saying you will find more distance with a new driver, but I prefer real world over those simulators.

~Rock

Back