What Info is Most Helpful in a Golf Club Review?

golfunfiltered

Johnny Unhappy Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
When you click on a review of a new piece of golf equipment, what information do you want to see in its content?

Pictures, shaft options, test data, the tech story, etc.

I like to see how easy it was to use the product and if it met your expectation.
The one you did on the True Linkswear Elements Pro was perfect. Gutsy but perfect.
They looked nice but once you got them on the course - Looks gave way to functionality and then they didn't work.

What I want to know:
1. If it was your money, would you buy it and use it?
2. Does it make the quality of your Golf life better?

Last edited:
Pictures, specifications, tech story, and if it does what it claims to do.

Great question but along with what Jman said I'm also looking to see what is said on hits that aren't perfect.

My fear now going into reviews (esp. video/YouTube) is that a review(er) uses too many "Oh My" sort of key phrases to try and get me to buy. I have to be careful cause it's easy to fall into.

Performance. I know that all depends on the reviewer's swing, but I still like to hear about ball-flight, sound/feel, versatility etc. I can go to the OEM's website for pictures, tech story, etc. I like to hear how a club performs from a hopefully non-biased reviewer.

Pics
Specs
Price

Good pictures (something that the staff here at THP have done an excellent job with) are important. After that, I really want to know about performance with the stock club. How does it sound, does it perform the way the manufacturer describes?

Good pictures (something that the staff here at THP have done an excellent job with) are important. After that, I really want to know about performance with the stock club. How does it sound, does it perform the way the manufacturer describes?

Agreed. THP does a great job with their reviews.

THP knows what we want to see in the reviews...and they deliver.

I'm with MD441, it's primarily just pics specs and price for me. I enjoy hearing if it does or doesn't do what it is intending as well, because stats/performance numbers only mean so much. I've had plenty of clubs that people didn't care for that I absolutely loved, so I only care if it does what it claims and then I will personally test from there.

I want to see lots of pics first off, if I don't like the way it looks, I'll be honest and say I don't need to look any further. Then I want to hear the tech story and how it will help me. Third I want to know about any shaft options or upgrades and the cost. Then maybe the specs, but that's really a pretty distant. I'm not all that concerned about the loft and the lie is an easy adjustment if needed.

FOR ME, i mainly want to see pictures from all angles and maybe with comparisons to other irons. the tech story is almost equally important as for the most part i know what i want for my game.

I want to see pics, test data, specs, price, and a comparison against the model it's replacing.
Video footage of shots on a launch monitor is an added bonus, but not necessary.

Video where the camera is very near the club head at impact. That clearly helps with the sound. Real pictures in good size from all angles help with the visuals. Pair those with some strengths/weaknesses and numbers and that's a good review.

Launch monitor data with a decent sample size.

Something besides what the OEM states in the Marketing. Many reviews I read simply restate what the OEM says...and I hate that. Give me YOUR opinion and give me concrete information. This may be taboo to say but I see a lot of reviews on this site that simply restate OEM info. In all honesty I love the way Mark Crossfield reviews clubs because he always glosses over what the OEM's say and makes a point to make sure you know most times it's just fancy words. I know that feel, performance, and fit are different for all golfers so what works for you may not for me...but I KNOW that when I'm reading/watching a review. What I want is YOUR words and YOUR opinion...not the OEM's.

Well I think it could be a variety of things as there are so many different levels of skill when golfing. I think the beat data would be provided as the golfer explains their handicap and type of player they are when reviewing the club so it's easier to relate

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Something besides what the OEM states in the Marketing. Many reviews I read simply restate what the OEM says...and I hate that. Give me YOUR opinion and give me concrete information. This may be taboo to say but I see a lot of reviews on this site that simply restate OEM info. In all honesty I love the way Mark Crossfield reviews clubs because he always glosses over what the OEM's say and makes a point to make sure you know most times it's just fancy words. I know that feel, performance, and fit are different for all golfers so what works for you may not for me...but I KNOW that when I'm reading/watching a review. What I want is YOUR words and YOUR opinion...not the OEM's.

You sure you're not confusing previews with reviews?

Irregardless, it's good to have manufacturer claims for confirmation or comparative purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of pictures, specs, tech included and what how that tech is beneficial and shaft options available.

Irregardless, it's good to have manufacturer claims for confirmation or comparative purposes.

I don't know, perhaps!

Oh, and I really like the way Martin Hoply from Golfalot does reviews.

The most important part is if the club(s) do what they were designed for, and how well. If they are meant to be high launching and forgiving, how do those aspects compare?

go on YouTube and see how many "reviews" are about 60-90 seconds long and are just quick snippets from the PGA show

#1 is objectivity. I like pictures from several angles because (as has been stated by another poster) if I don't like how it looks I won't play it. That's probably really stupid (especially if a product would REALLY help my game) but I just won't game something that's unsightly to my eye. Also, as someone stated before, I want an actual opinion on a product and how it compares to a previous release or a similar product on the market. I don't want a regurgitated press release nor do I want to be pumped with sunshine just because a company sent you a product to demo. Give it to me straight without the fluff. Also, give me some cons. Every product out there has a con. There's no "perfect" club, ball, bag, etc. What is it about this product that you'd like to see changed or improved.

Back