THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

what is the distance that you prefer to approach the green for par3,4,5s that give you a good chance at birdie

Par 3 anything inside 175 I feel confident I can hit the green and have a chance at birdie with two putt being the worse case.

par 4 and par 5 I like having 9i, pw, or GW. The 140 - 110 range is my preference. 70-90 is becoming more consistent

I feel I should give myself a decent look at birdie from 150-in. Not saying kick in distance every time, but I should put it within 20 feet.

Good question Emart, one I asked in the MI vs Ohio thread yesterday. Apparently almost everyone over there is confident from 200 so you guys in DC/MD/VA and Carolina's must be short knockers. :alien:

This is coming from the same thread that had Michigan as a top golf destination when you cant golf 4-5 months out of the year so I don't put a lot of stock in it. :alien:

what is the distance that you prefer to approach the green for par3,4,5s that give you a good chance at birdie

Par 3 anything inside 175 I feel confident I can hit the green and have a chance at birdie with two putt being the worse case.

par 4 and par 5 I like having 9i, pw, or GW. The 140 - 110 range is my preference. 70-90 is becoming more consistent

Assuming you mean playing distance for all! Of Course conditions (wind, stance, etc.) will change the clubs per any given day!
For Par 3 160 -175 Gives me a 7/6 iron into the green which I like
For Par 4 Same as above or closer, 100 yards is my favorite shot if I can get there, this would be a SW/GW typically
For Par 5 Same as Par 4 for my third shot - I don't reach very many, if any, par 5s in 2.

Good question Emart, one I asked in the MI vs Ohio thread yesterday. Apparently almost everyone over there is confident from 200 so you guys in DC/MD/VA and Carolina's must be short knockers. :alien:

Or just more realistic. :confused2:

Par 3 - 200 yards and in, hit the green majority of the time, chance at birdie, depending on how I'm putting that day ... worse case scenario I will 2 putt
Par 4 - love the Driver to Wedge, 120 yards and in ... strength of my game is the wedge game
Par 5 - if I'm laying up and not going for the green, I like the same 120 yards and in ... but I'd much rather be putting for Eagle! :)

Par 3 - 200 yards and in, hit the green majority of the time, chance at birdie, depending on how I'm putting that day ... worse case scenario I will 2 putt
Par 4 - love the Driver to Wedge, 120 yards and in ... strength of my game is the wedge game
Par 5 - if I'm laying up and not going for the green, I like the same 120 yards and in ... but I'd much rather be putting for Eagle! :)

You from Michigan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You from Michigan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep ... on my mother's father's side

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lots of o termed golfers in that region of the world. The other side if the coin is the 50-100 yd range because then those are the the killer shirt game guys who can suck the ball back on demand :alien:

Anything over 105 is outside of my "comfort" zone for putting the ball within birdie range. 105-165 I'm just hoping to hit the middle of the green. Over 165 I'm looking for the best place to be when I miss the green to get up and down. My mindset is I'm going to hit the middle of the green, but reality is not going to happen often.

I don't know... most of my tee shots go in the hole, so it's hard to define a "favorite" distance. I missed one from 420yds once...so that's my least favorite.

Since we have been hammering you guys with questions I think it is time to reverse the rolls.

What questions do you have for Kevin and I? Can be anything to do with the event or lead up really.

Once the individuals of your team have been determined, what are your thoughts on partnering those individuals.

Good question.

I would ask, once your team has been finalized by all picks. What's the very next message you convey to those that are chosen.

Three things:
Welcome to the team.
Expect to be challenged
Don't settle for good enough.

Once the individuals of your team have been determined, what are your thoughts on partnering those individuals.

The pairing will take some time, once I get a feel for how the early spring season is going for the team, and we get a few rounds together (I will be playing with everyone prior to July) I'll have a better feel for who fits with who.

Honestly I will examine personalities and who meshes with who first and foremost. Then I will look at each persons game and the format we will be playing and make the determination from there.

So another question to both Captains, I assume we are allowed more than one :D

You have both played in a THP Event on a big stage. What is one thing you can look back on from your Captain's in that event and that you plan to implement. it could be something verbal, it could be a strategy it could be anything or nothing at all if that's the case.

So another question to both Captains, I assume we are allowed more than one :D

You have both played in a THP Event on a big stage. What is one thing you can look back on from your Captain's in that event and that you plan to implement. it could be something verbal, it could be a strategy it could be anything or nothing at all if that's the case.

Winning a hof tag.

Also Mike let us be our own person and play our own golf to me that is very important and in the end makes the team become closer. I can tell you last year I never expected to bond with our team the way we did. That was all of 441s doing so I will be taking a lot out of his book.
As he said before all is said and done he will be referred to as the Mike Holmgren of THP captains (the greatness of his coaching tree)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

175 and in from any of them. That leaves me with a 7 iron or shorter and a lot of confidence to hit a good shot

If you have a twosome that is playing well together and another twosome that is struggling and you think one of the twosome that is playing well could help get one of the other two on track do you spilt up the twosome that's playing well to help the other two out?

If you have a twosome that is playing well together and another twosome that is struggling and you think one of the twosome that is playing well could help get one of the other two on track do you spilt up the twosome that's playing well to help the other two out?
I don't mess with a good thing. I find out what is going on with the twosome that is struggling and try and work on that but I do not take points off the board by splitting the twosome that is playing well

There will be 3 Captain selections from each Region.
Those selections will be based on 3 factors.
1. Are they active or are they going to be active on THP
2. See Rule #1
3. See Rule #2
4. I know we said 3 rules, but the captains are open to bribery I have been told.

First, what is your definition of "active"?

Secondly, if someone was to consider a possible "gift" to the selection committee for their hard work, what kind of things tickle your fancy?

2. See Rule #1
3. See Rule #2
4. I know we said 3 rules, but the captains are open to bribery I have been told.

Secondly, if someone was to consider a possible "gift" to the selection committee for their hard work, what kind of things tickle your fancy?
Come now .... let's not kiss arse to try and get in this thing!

I'm not going to pull points down for the team by breaking up two that are rolling. The two that were struggling I may switch them up if there is an opportunity between matches. At a minimum I will find out what's going on, and offer some encouraging words.

2. See Rule #1
3. See Rule #2

Definition of active is subjective, but had you read my earlier post I'm quite sure you could figure it out.

Bribery will get you no where, but I won't turn down the effort :)

Definition of active is subjective, but had you read my earlier post I'm quite sure you could figure it out.

Bribery will get you no where, but I won't turn down the effort :)
I aim to go above and beyond

Come now .... let's not kiss arse to try and get in this thing!

Exactly... I can't afford bribes. I will, however, commit to fully backing any and all hole-in-one / amazing shot stories put forth by any captain. I'm also a video editor by trade; so I can also produce...I mean record... these shots.

Back