What's the move to get

tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
the path coming from the inside? Is it a down move with the back elbow? Something with the front leg? Hips?

I can feel myself coming across the ball but can't seem to correct it.

If it matters, I'm compressing iron shots pretty well, hitting them pretty straight, maybe getting more trajectory than usual but losing about a club of distance. Driver is pretty typical across the ball stuff - ball starts straight and fades 15-20 yards.

the path coming from the inside? Is it a down move with the back elbow? Something with the front leg? Hips?

If it matters, I'm compressing iron shots pretty well, hitting them pretty straight, maybe getting more trajectory than usual but losing about a club of distance. Driver is pretty typical across the ball stuff - ball starts straight and fades 15-20 yards.

I struggle with this as well Frank. Will be following this thread with interest, as I've wondered how to achieve that slight inside-out path for a long time.

Count me in! I do find setting up slightly closed, with the ball slightly further back in the stance helps, but I am sure those are bandaid leading to pushes for me.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Frank, I don't mean to be like this but If you are losing a club in distance, you are not compressing the ball the way you think. based on the videos of your swing I have seem, you may still be taking the club away with the arms. It's tough to get an inside move when your arms are directing the club. You have to get the shoulders to rotate and allow the arms to join in, not the other way around. If you do this, when the left hip starts to clear, the club will begin to drop into a good slot. Once it has dropped, you can swing the arms. They should be on an inside to straight path back to the ball.

Frank, I don't mean to be like this but If you are losing a club in distance, you are not compressing the ball the way you think. based on the videos of your swing I have seem, you may still be taking the club away with the arms. It's tough to get an inside move when your arms are directing the club. You have to get the shoulders to rotate and allow the arms to join in, not the other way around. If you do this, when the left hip starts to clear, the club will begin to drop into a good slot. Once it has dropped, you can swing the arms. They should be on an inside to straight path back to the ball.

Tadashi's right. If you're not getting your shoulders rotating your back to the target, you'll never give yourself a good swing plane no matter how hard you try. This likely means getting your chin up and out of the way (especially on short half of the bag) so that your shoulders can turn and wind up completely. bringing your left shoulder (assuming RH) under your chin at full rotation away from the ball. this will put your back to the target and give you a MUCH better position to bring the downswing naturally.

*DISCLAIMER* This is a fairly major swing change and it will take some time to get dialed in. Patience is key. I'd also make sure your hands are high enough (so that you're not laying the club over behind you) to let yourself unwind into the ball.

What's the move to get

It's all good Freddie. If we can't talk openly we don't learn. If you don't mind, I'll try to post new video later in the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tadashi's right. If you're not getting your shoulders rotating your back to the target, you'll never give yourself a good swing plane no matter how hard you try. This likely means getting your chin up and out of the way (especially on short half of the bag) so that your shoulders can turn and wind up completely. bringing your left shoulder (assuming RH) under your chin at full rotation away from the ball. this will put your back to the target and give you a MUCH better position to bring the downswing naturally.

*DISCLAIMER* This is a fairly major swing change and it will take some time to get dialed in. Patience is key. I'd also make sure your hands are high enough (so that you're not laying the club over behind you) to let yourself unwind into the ball.
Can you expand on the hands being high enough? How high is high enough and why does it matter?

Can you expand on the hands being high enough? How high is high enough and why does it matter?

Controls your launch angle, among other things. Personally, I can feel it if I'm not in the right position. Haven't videoed myself in ages, so I'm not sure how to describe it. Shaft should be parellel to the ground and pointed to target at full rotation in a perfect world with left shoulder under your chin.

If you don't get your hands up high enough, you'll end up with a funky plane on the way down that will cause inconsistency at best. For my swing, its a miss 10-15 yds to the left of target (with mid to short irons) because I don't have enough rotation and have to get my arms and hands through REALLY quickly pulling the shot.

Hmm sounds familiar with your miss, maybe there is something there for me to play with.

Hmm sounds familiar with your miss, maybe there is something there for me to play with.

Please don't start grasping for straws. High hands are nice but not needed to make solid contact or have a consistent swing.

Good point. But to work on shoulder rotation without addressing alignment on the back end is like dating your sister.

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

If grasping for straws was a sport, I'd be a pro!

What do high hands have to do with alignment?
Good point. But to work on shoulder rotation without addressing alignment on the back end is like dating your sister.

What do high hands have to do with alignment?

In my case, it was the next step after getting a good rotation. I believe it helps with alignment and serves as a mid swing checkpoint. Certainly doesn't mean others need to go that far with it, just sharing what I experienced with my swing.

to each their own

In my case, it was the next step after getting a good rotation. I believe it helps with alignment and serves as a mid swing checkpoint. Certainly doesn't mean others need to go that far with it, just sharing what I experienced with my swing.

to each their own
But I still don't know what high hands have to do with alignement. High hands is a great term but has nothung to do with alignment to your target.

not sure what you're fishing for here. I don't think having one without the other does you any good. Like I said above, the two correlate for my swing. As you mentioned, not for everyone.

I'm in the same boat. Want so badly to be an inside out swing path hitter, but here comes the outside in path FORE RIGHT!!

I may be way off base ... Excuse me if I am on another planet. But for me the best way to learn is to put it out there, right, wrong, or other.

I started this year with a flat plane and a very inside-out path. I steepened my swing pane and ended up with a neutral to slightly outside-in path. I couldn't purposely go inside-out again, however, and it drove me crazy. At some point I realized I couldn't change the swing path once I started the downswing. This sounds silly, but I simply did not understand that. Over and over I was trying to dynamically change the swing path during the down swing. I don't think that's possible. So I went back to setup and transition to downswing. And there is where I can make the adjustments that resulted in desired swing path changes. Hand position, path, and everything else, for me at least, depend on where and how the downswing begins.

not sure what you're fishing for here. I don't think having one without the other does you any good. Like I said above, the two correlate for my swing. As you mentioned, not for everyone.
In not fishing, I'm asking you a direct question. What do high hands have to do with alignment? In all my years of teaching this game I have never heard this. If I missed it and need to learn it. So please tell me how having high hands helps with your alignment. You offered it up as a fix so there has to be some reasoning or explanation behind it.

i always thought setting up square to your intended target line was the way to solid alignment. But from what you're saying, if I get my hands high in the back swing, I'll be aligned. Aligned to what, is what I am missing. What's going on with my feet, knees, hips and shoulders?

Aligned with the parking lot bro. It's the secret you've been missing

In not fishing, I'm asking you a direct question. What do high hands have to do with alignment? In all my years of teaching this game I have never heard this. If I missed it and need to learn it. So please tell me how having high hands helps with your alignment. You offered it up as a fix so there has to be some reasoning or explanation behind it.

i always thought setting up square to your intended target line was the way to solid alignment. But from what you're saying, if I get my hands high in the back swing, I'll be aligned. Aligned to what, is what I am missing. What's going on with my feet, knees, hips and shoulders?

I think I see the breakdown in our communication. I said "alignment" meaning shoulder rotation and aligning club with the target and top of bakswing. I see that I mistakenly called this alignment. I see that your discussion of alignment deals with addressing the ball and setting up on your target line. My mistake! !

Last edited:

You again describe me. This is forever my battle.

Good stuff Panda.

I may be way off base ... Excuse me if I am on another planet. But for me the best way to learn is to put it out there, right, wrong, or other.

I started this year with a flat plane and a very inside-out path. I steepened my swing pane and ended up with a neutral to slightly outside-in path. I couldn't purposely go inside-out again, however, and it drove me crazy. At some point I realized I couldn't change the swing path once I started the downswing. This sounds silly, but I simply did not understand that. Over and over I was trying to dynamically change the swing path during the down swing. I don't think that's possible. So I went back to setup and transition to downswing. And there is where I can make the adjustments that resulted in desired swing path changes. Hand position, path, and everything else, for me at least, depend on where and how the downswing begins.
Makes a lot of sense to me cowdog. I played with a guy in high school that would actually pause at top of backswing to make sure he got started on the right path on the way down.

I have to be careful with tempo to make sure I get a good turn and set before coming back down. Cool you were able to break it down and fix it

Back