Took the Scotty out of my bag today...

lazychicken

Reaction score
Handicap
Last year I began struggling with putting. To be fair, I was struggling with several other major aspects of my game but at that time I decided to focus on putting. I was gaming my 2007-ish Ping G5i CRAZ-E and it just wasn't working for me. So I did what a lot of amateur golfers do and spent a bunch of time rolling different putters at PGA Superstore. I talked to one of their club guys and he gave me a lot of info and tried to set me on the right path to find the right club. When I picked up the Scotty Select Newport M2, it just clicked with me. I was sinking everything. So I bought it and put it in play. That was last October. Since then I've learned that store reality and actual course green reality are two entirely different things, and I've really never gotten into a good groove with it in play.

Also since last October I've made tremendous strides in every other area of my game. It's to the point where when I play with people who haven't played with me for a few months or more, they're stunned. Not that I'm some great golfer by any means, but I've improved a lot. I'm striking the ball better, I've correct my major swing flaws, etc. The only thing that HASN'T improved is my putting. After much practice and gaming I just can't dial in distances

In the past couple weeks I started wondering if a big part of it was just that my old eyes need longer alignment aids than the M2's more blade type structure could provide. Since so much of my game has changed, I decided to test the theory with the only mallet I had available. I pulled out the old Ping and started rolling balls on the carpet. It went better than I expected.

So today I did the ultimate experiment -- I threw the Ping in the truck and added it to my bag at the club, and moved the Scotty to my locker. And then I played 18.

Guess what...? IT WORKED. I finally had the feel to be able to observe a distance and translate that information to the ball. And I finally had the ability to properly align my putts. My putt count went down dramatically today. Clearly I blamed the putter for my own inabilities a year ago. (I'm sure THAT never happens, right?)

So now I'm wanting to extend the experiment and start testing other mallets to see if different alignment systems work better for me now.

And in the meantime, anyone want to buy a very good-mint condition Scotty Select M2? :smile-big:

i get the impression confidence is one of the more, if not most, important aspects to your putting. i have a similar situation/problem. but i found my solution and maybe it'll work for you. because my confidence has so much to do with creating feel for me, i have a rotation of putters. when i change putters, the address looks anew and i immediately start draining putts or leaving quality lags. every time i lose feel/confidence, i go to another putter in my rotation. so i change putter necks about every two weeks. beginner's luck on rotation.

i get the impression confidence is one of the more, if not most, important aspects to your putting. i have a similar situation/problem. but i found my solution and maybe it'll work for you. because my confidence has so much to do with creating feel for me, i have a rotation of putters. when i change putters, the address looks anew and i immediately start draining putts or leaving quality lags. every time i lose feel/confidence, i go to another putter in my rotation. so i change putter necks about every two weeks. beginner's luck on rotation.

That's a really interesting idea. And also a great excuse to buy more putters! :)

If you get a chance put a stroke on the Scotty 6M - it looks like the Battlestar Galactica, but it is super stable and controlling distance is easy...

Congrats on getting out of the rut...

I also agree that changing the putter challenges your brain and you find a temporary improvement....see Adam Scott, Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson...they all had a pretty good tourney without the long stick, that faded fast...however, most of them have now gotten it together through some perseverance and a lot of practice.

If you get a chance put a stroke on the Scotty 6M - it looks like the Battlestar Galactica, but it is super stable and controlling distance is easy...

I'll give it a roll if I see one. Honestly, the shape is distracting to me. Like the TM Spider shape, my brain has trouble looking down and seeing a Buick on the end of the shaft. ;)

Back