The most boring seminar ever

FernDog

Reaction score
Handicap
I am in a pretty boring seminar right now for work. Not the worst. It's work related and the speaker is good but the topic is . The topic now is how lime reacts with soil for road construction. Exciting, I know!! What's the most boring seminar you have ever had to sit through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotor Dynamics. It was a seminar about designing and the characteristics of turbine rotors. Everything from materials used, to airfoil profiles to harmonics and balancing, to thermal growth. The first half was so far over my head that I nodded off through most of it. The last 2 categories were pretty interesting to me. 3 day seminar.

I used to lecture national and internationally for my profession and there was always at least one guy lecturing at each conference that was so boring, you would want to tear your eyelids out. Medical Seminars are generally snooze fests. It's mostly the same topics with the same lecturers. Same thing you've heard day in and day out. I stopped lecturing and going to seminars altogether as now I can get my continuing credits online.

Metal bellow expansion joints on liquid natural gas applications.

The last sentence of the seminar was, "There are only 6 of these applications in the entire country, so if you come across one, let us know."

Sat through plenty of boring seminars in grad school. We would judge them by whether or not we stayed awake. Nowadays, a lot of the societies I'm involved in are moving to 5 to 15 minute talks - which then link to poster sessions later in the evening (beer!). It's hard (though not impossible) to doze off during a 15 minute talk.

Probably the second time I had to hear the "you're a lawyer, dont do heroin and blow" lecture.

~Rock

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Not necessarily seminars but CE classes are pretty unexciting.

I am in a pretty boring seminar right now for work. Not the worst. It's work related and the speaker is good but the topic is . The topic now is how lime reacts with soil for road construction. Exciting, I know!! What's the most boring seminar you have ever had to sit through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You said it is work related. Is it important to know for your job..safety, cost savings etc? If either is yes than I say suck it up and give feedback on the presentation itself.

In that case I have only been to one. It was a construction safety seminar. So it was the most boring and most exciting one I have ever been to.

Any seminar where someone reads Word for word from PowerPoint. You do that I mentally check out

Sent from my S8 using Tapatalk

My next one, in a long line of boring work seminars, is scheduled for 9/22/17. The subject is "clustering" and it sounds as though it will likely results in me doing even more traveling than the ridiculous amount I already do. Anybody that has accumulated 2.3 million hotel rewards point, and redeems them quite often, travels entirely too much.

I miss none of this stuff from by engineering days. I could hardly stay awake thru so many.

Ab initio modeling of graphene layers in silicon oxycarbide ceramics formation. I laughed, I cried . . . .

I have to go through a series of business, legal ethics, Medicare/Medicaid fraud, and HIPAA refresher courses every year. Some are on-line. Those aren't bad because you can stop to get more coffee as needed, but the others are done at the company's annual kickoff meeting and run by our legal team. Imagine 500+ people in a room watching .ppt slides. It's like a group insomnia curing session, or mass hypnosis. Lately they've gotten smart and done a sports-based skit with scenarios and the legal team dressed up in referee costumes. Still pretty dry stuff but it'll hold your attention a little longer.

Last edited:
Back