Best Low Spin ball off the tee, that isn't a rock around the green?

clarkgriswold

2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
What do you guys think? I've tried most of them, high end, low end etc, curious to see what people think. I tend towards the higher compression side, and currently love the B330 Tour, but curious what others think. E6/NXT/Tri-Speed are great off the tee, but aren't too great around the greens.

It depends how fast the greens are where you play. I find the Gamer Soft or DT TruSoft stop well enough for my game.

Dave

Are you price conscious or just best ball for those needs?

What's your swing speed? What's the loft of your driver? What's the launch angle? What's the face to path angle? The best ball for you for driver will depend in large part on the answers to those questions.

You mentioned the Bridgestone B330 Tour. Nice ball if you have an above 100 MPH swing speed, hit the ball reasonably straight and with good launch and loft numbers. If you have a below 90 swing speed, not so good. If you fight a slice, not so good. If you have a low launch angle caused by a decending attack angle, not so good. If you want/need more spin around the green and everything else checks out, you would do better with the B330-S Tour. There is a reason ball companies do ball fittings or have created ball selectors or selection guides. Bridgestone in particular is one of the companies that has invested A LOT into ball fittings and selections, not only to help folks like us get a better matched ball for our game, but also to inform their research and development.

Yep 105+ swing speed, but do fight the slice off the tee quite a bit but improving steadily. No issues with launch, actually dialed things down a bit but seem to be loosing distance from extreme backspin off the tee.

Yep 105+ swing speed, but do fight the slice off the tee quite a bit but improving steadily. No issues with launch, actually dialed things down a bit but seem to be loosing distance from extreme backspin off the tee.

Are you sure that the ball is your issue? If you have a regular swing speed of 105+ playing with a stiff shaft and you start "dialing it down" then maybe it's the shaft causing you to lose distance. Sub 100 mph swings are more suited to a regular flex, no? Of course shafts have some such a long way that maybe I'm oversimplifying, too, so there's that.

I've played everything and for the money I have yet to find anything better than the Callaway Chrome Soft. This is such a personal topic its hard for anyone to give a concrete answer.

Something softer, but preferably with a Urethane cover or outer mantle design to help with spin around the green.

Some balls worth testing:

B330-Rx/Rxs
Chrome Soft
Q-Star Tour
Project (a)
Wilson Duo Urethane

I fight the slice a little as well and although I've used and like the Chromsoft, Q Star Tour, I've gone back to my previous gamer ball, Snell MTB. Low spin off the driver and performs admirably on the green.

Back