adidas Golf Selling Off Golf Brands?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Currently, the present and recent past has not been going well for the golf business of adidas. The company has engaged with an investment bank to look at the future of their golf portfolio. Most are speculating that they are particularly referring to Adams and Ashworth, but some have made mention of TaylorMade as well.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are its about time.

I do think when its all said and done it will just be Adams and AShworth, and unless things change on the TM side then those changes wont make much difference.

I really like Ashworth clothing, hope someone buys and keeps it going.

I find this interesting after they just offered James Harden a $200 million endorsement deal and recently took on as Manchester United's Jersey sponsor worth about $1billion over the next 10 years. Figured they weren't having money issues over at adidas

I'm not sure the golfing community as a whole would miss Adams or Ashworth but that's just my opinion.

TaylorMade needs to step up their game if they hope to stay a dominant force as well. The brand has a certain stigma for me and at this point, none of their current offerings intrigue me.

Can't blame them, Adidas does extremely well globally but losing your ass on some of the golfing divisions is no bueno.

I think they'll spin off the whole golf unit (including TM). Adidas' growth areas in the U.S. seem to be focused on Reebok with the cross fit and fitness events, with soccer and hockey.

• Admin
My thoughts are its about time.

I do think when its all said and done it will just be Adams and AShworth, and unless things change on the TM side then those changes wont make much difference.

You are a money guy and have looked at the stuff that has been made public. Do you think moving the two A's, changes things much for adidas?

I don't really care about Ashworth, as it will survive somewhere. What happens to Adams? The few Adams people remaining have been through enough.

I see Adams as a tough sell. Closed their shop and moved them in to TaylorMade space, correct?

Basically buying name and technology, same thing TM did.... #Speedslot

honestly I wouldn't be totaly shocked if TM is part of the brand that is sold off. There are certainly companies out there that can afford that type of transaction. Would it surprise anyone id Under Armour looked in to these deals?

To me selling of Adams won't do much for them. Hell they should have moved the entire TM HQ to Texas when they acquired them. Think of the savings they would have had just by doing that. They have reduced that brand, or are well down the path of reducing that brand, to a box club brand.

I see Adams as a tough sell. Closed their shop and moved them in to TaylorMade space, correct?

Basically buying name and technology, same thing TM did.... #Speedslot

Yes, their TX HQ was closed and Im not sure a sell off at this point would be more than a name anyway. I dont think TM gives up the patents, personally. My opinion was that Adams was doomed when Chip and Michael left the company respectively.

honestly I wouldn't be totaly shocked if TM is part of the brand that is sold off. There are certainly companies out there that can afford that type of transaction. Would it surprise anyone id Under Armour looked in to these deals?

To me selling of Adams won't do much for them. Hell they should have moved the entire TM HQ to Texas when they acquired them. Think of the savings they would have had just by doing that. They have reduced that brand, or are well down the path of reducing that brand, to a box club brand.

As of today, I would be surprised if UA jumped in here. Their brand might be stronger than the ones they are acquiring honestly. Now my opinion might change in a few months, but it would seem like a bad beat for UA to take them on with their brand so strong.

I bet Adams gets sold to be a house brand somewhere, that name is pretty much a lame duck now sadly.

Ashworth would be kind of intriguing, not sure who would jump on that.

Personally, I'd like to see TM sold. Its time for them to make drastic changes, and that might be the ticket.

You are a money guy and have looked at the stuff that has been made public. Do you think moving the two A's, changes things much for adidas?

Not 1 bit.

Going off of memory but if I recall the Adidas "group" has steadily grew their revenues.

Hoever golf declined like 26% top line and continues to have margin erosion....not to mention the cash burn which has been noted and epic

As of today, I would be surprised if UA jumped in here. Their brand might be stronger than the ones they are acquiring honestly. Now my opinion might change in a few months, but it would seem like a bad beat for UA to take them on with their brand so strong.

Agreed. If Under Armour was receiving the Adams patents, then that would be a different story - but the Adams name alone (generally geared towards "older" players) does not jive with Under Armour's target market. Taylor Made, on the other hand, might be a different story.

Agreed. If Under Armour was receiving the Adams patents, then that would be a different story - but the Adams name alone (generally geared towards "older" players) does not jive with Under Armour's target market. Taylor Made, on the other hand, might be a different story.

I am looking for at TM than Adams for them. I don't think it happens, but I wouldn't be shocked.

Agreed. This whole development surprises me a bit given how golf heavy Adidas was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ashworth to me feels like it should be purchased by a retailer. continue to make clothes, but be more of a direct-to-consumer model through a big box retailer, or even an entity like macy's.

i think it's time for adams to go away, or become another macgregor that becomes a house brand. it's sad because i think they've done some really good things and put out very good product, but they're so far outpaced by the competition that it just doesn't make sense anymore.

i'd be shocked if tm went away. they still make very good product. i'd like to see them trim A LOT of fat, stop the cash hemorrhaging, and re-focus. a spin-off makes sense, but for the sake of the industry, i would hope it's not a spin-off that's doomed for failure before given a chance to succeed.

Would hope adidas continues to make golf apparel and shoes, but would love to see TM get a fresh start somewhere else.

Would hope adidas continues to make golf apparel and shoes, but would love to see TM get a fresh start somewhere else.

Id be shocked if they went away from the footwear. They are currently 3rd in marketshare I believe (although could be 2nd still), and have been strong for a number of years.

Id be shocked if they went away from the footwear. They are currently 3rd in marketshare I believe, and have been strong for a number of years.

Great to hear.

Back