Losing golf balls.

fistfullofbeer

Akshay ("Ak" + "Shay")
Reaction score
Handicap
20's
Curios about two things.

- Over 10 rounds how many balls do you average losing per round?
- How do you guys deal with losing the expensive balls? I am talking about the Chrome Softs, Pro V1's, etc. I play the QST's, MTB's, etc. which are cheaper and losing every ball stings. Its not that it is a money problem or anything, just that losing the balls can never be fun.

Over 10 rounds I'd probably lose 8 or 9 or so in total.

When I lost more, I bought used. Still played premium for about the past 10 years but I couldn't stomach the cost. So used it was.

Now, I'm not opposed to used at all but I find good enough deals for new on Ebay.

Yeah, I'm with ya... losing balls stings a bit. But nowadays I'm much more focused on the impact upon score than anything else.

100% course dependent. My home course I might lose 1 every 2 rounds if I am playing with people or in a tournament and care to look for it. If it is a practice round I look like 30 seconds and toss one down. Also lose way more in fall with the leaves coming down. Then there are course by me like Grey Hawk (7k 74.3/137) where I think I have lost as least 2 or 3 every round. I honestly don't think about it when I am playing money wise.

The Florida guys must lose a good bit on the courses where they dig out a bunch of lakes to get fill to shape the otherwise flat courses.

On my home course it depends on the rough. If they haven't cut it in a while I will lose 2-3 per round since I take less than a minute to look due to my ADD. For me the money doesn't matter as much as just losing balls that missed the fairway by 5 yards.

losing balls sucks, even moreso when you lose them inbounds!

When I was a consistent 100+ player, I simply played cheap balls. Laddie Precepts to be exact.

Now, on a good round, I won't lose any. It's not uncommon to lose one though. It's hard to get through a complete round without one bad swing that might result in a lost ball. And of course everyone has those bad rounds where you're busting out another sleeve. Those hurt.

Sometimes I go 2 or three rounds without losing a ball, then other times I may lose 2 or 3 balls on a single round but I don't let it upset me because I stock up on balls when I find a sale and never pay more than $15 a doz for balls.

Probably average 10-15 balls total for those 10'rounds.

It's part of the game - I have a ton of balls i'm really beat up over losing the Chrome Tour ball though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typically only lose 1 or 2 balls every 10 rounds at my home course. It is frustrating when it happens shortly after putting a new ball in play. If I have already played with the ball for a couple of rounds, spend very little time looking for it and just take the penalty and play on.

I lose on average probably a ball a round - good rounds none, bad ones sometimes 2 or 3 and very occasionally, more. That's just golf, unfortunately. I typically buy premium balls on sale for $30 or less a dozen though, so I remind myself it only costs me on average $2.50 a round.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It's pretty hard to lose golf balls at my course. OOB is in play on 2 holes, but otherwise, it's an old, smaller course, so if you miss a fairway, you are either in a 10 foot wide patch of rough, or the next fairway over. So I lose maybe 1 ball every 36 holes or so. So I handle it just fine, because at that point, the ball was beat up anyways.

~Rock

Depends.I will go 27 holes or more without losing a ball,but then I may lose three in 18 holes on a tough course that has deep ,thick rough and plenty of water if I am having a bad day with the swing.

Depends on the course. Where I play mostly? I can probably count on 1-2 a round due to hazards, but I have had 4-6 a round before when ball striking is bad or in the fall when they overseed and the ball sinks into it and disappears. There are some courses around here I can count on losing 0.

Where I play the most, I'me losing maybe 1 or 2 balls every three rounds. Usually errant shot into the water hazards. Previously playing used E6. Now playing new Wilson Duo. Not sure if its the ball or my game, but losing way less balls.

I lose about 8 balls in 10 rounds, but it depends on the course I'm playing. It doesn't bother me losing balls because I know that's just a part of golf.

Sometimes I'll go 2 or 3 rounds without losing one and then lose 3 or 4 in one round.
I usually go over and give a quick 1 minute look. In that minute I may find a few balls that are better than the one I lost.
I always play good used balls.
On sale I'll buy some that aren't over $20 a dozen.

I use refurb balls. At my home course I lose about 1-2 every 3 rounds. I hate paying $40 a dozen so I use websites that sell refurb balls.

100% course dependent.

Pretty much this. I spray it around so I try to stay away from overly punitive courses. Nothing fun about a lot of lost balls and penalty strokes.

It depends on the course. My home course I may lose a ball every 2 rounds. A new coure, maybe 1-3 a round. It also depends on my course management that day and my willingness to play a risk.

When I'm playing alone I'll try and practice those impossible shorts for when I'm not playing alone. Like top of the hill ball a foot or so above your feet type shots. The time that is in my head as I type that I lost four balls on just that one shot. But I carry yellow nitros in my bag for when I do stuff like that. I can get those for $5 a dozen new so I generally don't care.9

It can be anywhere from 0 to 3 or 4. I can go for stretches where the brand name will wear off to the point of being hardly legible before I retire a ball. On some holes that for any number of reasons are more likely to have balls lost I will play one of my less expensive balls if I have not been swinging well.

Over the course of 10 Rounds, I'd expect to lose 6-8 balls, depending on the course. I lost 3 in two rounds @ The Ranch, but two of those were in fescue that would be found at virtually any other course I play.

I rarely go a round without losing a ball. My bag was a lot lighter coming back from Indiana and I rinsed one on the front side and then lost three on the last three holes yesterday.

I can start off with good balls, but if I lose them quickly, I'll switch to something else.

Thanks for the input guys. I average about 1 ball a round myself. I did lose 3 yesterday (over 27 holes) but had gone 27 holes before that without losing a round. My game is finally at the point where I have moved to the urethane balls and can actually see the benefit. But it just stings when one of the balls goes into the hazard.

I probably lose on average 1.5 balls per round at my home course. Lots of rounds I lose zero, and a few too many rounds where I'll lose 3 or more. Unless pace of play is already really slow I don't really spend very much time at all looking for my ball.

I figure if you can't afford to walk away from a ball that is going to be hard to find, you can't afford to play that ball.

Back